Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to skew off topic a tad here, but did Greg Howe really play with N*SYNC and Enrique Iglesias? Shocked

What's next? Meshuggah covering Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows? Shocked
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Howe Reply with quote

He played with michael jackson, enrique, n'sync, and justin timberlake...its a shame someone so talented has to play that garbage to pay the bills...
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Howe Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
He played with michael jackson, enrique, n'sync, and justin timberlake...its a shame someone so talented has to play that garbage to pay the bills...

snobbery is really duff, they've all contributed something albeit promoting a song writers tune. Jennifer Batten likes Jackson's tunes so much she covers a tune on Above Below and Beyond.. and Stanley Jordan covers Lady in My Life..

Tommy Tedesco played soundtracks throughout the 70s to 90s to pay the bills, I admire the player that works for their money... it's a tough path.

I recall one of my guitar teachers doing a spoof introduction prior to my playing: "Unfortunately Josey and Steve can't be here today and STEven their seven year old has got chicken pox, so we've 'ad ter cancel bingo tonight, instead we've got a young lad all the way from Blackmore who's been playing guitar for a long time, 'e's come a long way, he's worked very hard on this one"...

Rolling Eyes note to self: never get a pot smoking psychology student as a guitar teacher _ever_ again Shocked

I have the power!
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Jennifer Batten was Michael Jackson's guitarist for a while, and lest we forget, so was Slash, and EVH.

Also, other guitarists have made the occasional foray into pop - SRV with David Bowie, Nuno Bettencourt with Janet Jackson.....

....and on the subject of covers, Tuck Andress does the most amazing cover of "Man in the Mirror" I've ever heard.

I agree with Frankus - snobbery is really duff. True, I wouldn't buy an Enrique, or N*Sync album, but music is music, and the industry does work in funny ways. Besides, if I was good enough to be a session guitarist, and confident enough to be able to lay down a track or two for whoever admired my ability, I'd stick a solo on the "Teletubbies" album. (At the right price, of course). It's not selling out, it's getting yourself out there and keeping yourself busy!!

Anyway, Alex, now that we have a "Questions for Guthrie #2" thread, don't you think we'd better have this one locked? It's getting a bit much to have two threads to follow, and I doubt Guthrie will be too thrilled at having this many questions to answer..... Wink
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i didn't mean to come off as a snob. I know those are all great paying gigs, and not many people would turn down an opportunity like that.
Duncan M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just from a cash point of view, though - think about how many people will get to hear you play in a gig like that! It's amazing experience too.

I, for one, would slice off a nad to get the gig with MJ!! Mind you, I wouldn't want to do David Williams out of work - the guy's a quite brilliant funk player, a huge influence on me and sorely underrated by many.
isaac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Greg Howe also played for MJ as well.

That shows you the talent of that man.

He actually replaced Jennifer for a little while.
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I have a question:

What is going to be featured on your new site?

Do you have plans to make a Solo Album?

Thanks for your time, take care.

Greg
Steve Vai
Tom Morello
Michael Angelo
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
enoscarso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Guthrie, let me tell you that I really love your playing, especially your ability to mix everything up building lines which are dense, interesting and enjoyable at the same time.
I really like your "friends" too, Ron and Matthias, I often think of "you" more as a sort of movement, kinda new (again!) wave, than as three brillant musicians.
I would like to ask you an opinion on one of my favourite guitar player, french jazzman Marc Ducret. Do you know him, and if so, did his work inspire you in any way?
He is a little older than you "three amigos", a little less "ironic", a little more radical,...but just a little. What do you think?
Will

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVH never had that much to do with Michael Jackson though did he?

Fair enough he did the solo for 'beat it', but i heard that this was because MTV (and other mainstream stations etc) wasn't playing any black artist's music at the time, so they got EVH in, as he was white and also in one of the biggest rock bands at the time?

Ah, and nobody mentioned Steve Lukather. Didn't he session on most of Jacko's tunes?

(Don't quote me on the Eddie Van Halen thing, it was just something told to me by an averagely reliable source)
lucky13sp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't anybody remember the song which SLASH from GNR did with michael jackson? he was in the video for the song playing and there was no doubt it was slash.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Will

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the song was called "Give in to me"

Cool tune.

I don't think anyone should really dismiss Greg Howe playing for pop acts like N SYNC as crazy and pathetic. Guitarist's aren't just people who stick out albums for people like us to cream ourselves over. I'm sure the money for playing in the N SYNC backing band is quite impressive. If you have credentials for playing with top selling pop acts, then the gigs will come flying in one after the other. I should think its a bit more than just "paying the bills"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: