Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Next solo record?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next solo record?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Next solo record? Reply with quote

Hey folks—especially Ed:)

Anyone's got an idea as to when Guthrie plans to record his next solo album? I've heard mixed reports (mostly picked up from his interviews) ranging from "he's planning on it" through "he really needs to do it" to "the last thing he thinks about now is working on it"—not that these need ipso facto be mutually exclusive!

I love The Aristocrats and it's been probably my greatest musical discovery of the recent years, but I would so like to hear Guthrie's new album, reflecting where HE's at musically right now expressed full scale. The Aristocrats are beyond awesome, but it's a band, not a solo project. And I enjoy very much indeed both sides of GG's musical endeavours.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the mythical second Guthrie solo album... Wink

It will happen eventually and I think Guthrie will start working on the foundation (the framework of musical ideas and actual tunes) over the remainder of this year although he's pretty much fully booked with a bunch of tours - especially the Aristocrats' tours of US/Canada in the summer and a big tour of Europe in the fall/winter.

Obviously, Guthrie has wanted to work on this album for a long time but before he could get to it The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson gigs came into fruition. And Guthrie has been very happy with these gigs so his solo plans just kept getting pushed back. And he didn't take these gigs over pursuing his solo project because of financial considerations. He really, really liked the artistic and musical opportunities that The Aristocrats and SW offered.

Now that he's gone through 2~3 cycles with each of them, I think he feels the time is right to work on the next solo album soon. We never know what other crazy projects may appear over the next year or so but I think Guthrie will make it happen sometime next year. I think we can all agree that it won't sound anything like 'Erotic Cakes' based on how far Guthrie has come along since then! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
petros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Ah, the mythical second Guthrie solo album... Wink

It will happen eventually and I think Guthrie will start working on the foundation (the framework of musical ideas and actual tunes) over the remainder of this year although he's pretty much fully booked with a bunch of tours - especially the Aristocrats' tours of US/Canada in the summer and a big tour of Europe in the fall/winter.

Obviously, Guthrie has wanted to work on this album for a long time but before he could get to it The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson gigs came into fruition. And Guthrie has been very happy with these gigs so his solo plans just kept getting pushed back. And he didn't take these gigs over pursuing his solo project because of financial considerations. He really, really liked the artistic and musical opportunities that The Aristocrats and SW offered.

Now that he's gone through 2~3 cycles with each of them, I think he feels the time is right to work on the next solo album soon. We never know what other crazy projects may appear over the next year or so but I think Guthrie will make it happen sometime next year. I think we can all agree that it won't sound anything like 'Erotic Cakes' based on how far Guthrie has come along since then! Very Happy

Thanks for these thoughts, Ed. I sure hope he does, as I'm craving it! I really enjoy the manner in which Guthrie crafts his musical ideas and improvises these days. I always have, but it seems that his sound and approach is getting more and more organic. Love it.
petros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, now that I'm thinking about it, Guthrie's not going to be touring for the next two months: Maybe he'll have some time to work on his solo record Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petros wrote:
By the way, now that I'm thinking about it, Guthrie's not going to be touring for the next two months: Maybe he'll have some time to work on his solo record Smile

Haha. You're really up to date on Guthrie's schedule. Wink Yes, but it's more like a little over a month because the G4 Experience event with Satch, AAL and Mike Keneally will happen in mid-June so Guthrie will have to depart for CA in early-June.

Guthrie did mention after the 'Tres Caballeros' sessions in LA that he was in a "writing mood" but who knows what effect that the SW tour had on that state of mind? Hopefully, it has had a positive effect to come up with some new musical ideas.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
petros wrote:

Haha. You're really up to date on Guthrie's schedule. Wink Yes, but it's more like a little over a month because the G4 Experience event with Satch, AAL and Mike Keneally will happen in mid-June so Guthrie will have to depart for CA in early-June.

Guthrie did mention after the 'Tres Caballeros' sessions in LA that he was in a "writing mood" but who knows what effect that the SW tour had on that state of mind? Hopefully, it has had a positive effect to come up with some new musical ideas.

I'm not on top his schedule intentionally, though Very Happy It's because one guy was publicly complaining on Facebook (during the week I was there recently before I deactivated again) that GG has a free month before the Aristocrats tour whilst SW will be touring with another guitarist. It's like: "you're a musician, you don't need a break, you have no right to relax, be with your family,and do your own thing." Do you understand these people?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Someone said that? Rolling Eyes Just amazing the amount of ignorance and stupidity we have to deal with on the Internet... Well, it's just par for the course, I guess...

I've been on some tours with The Aristocrats as the tour manager and I can absolutely assure you that touring is not easy work. In fact, it's exhausting. I can handle it for about 3~4 weeks but I think I'd go mad if it was any longer.

I'm fine with about 3 weeks. I still make business trips to Asia that will last that length of time but different hotel rooms every few nights, all the waiting in line at the airports, the long car rides getting around in unfamiliar territories, different sights and languages, etc. tend to overwhelm your senses and make you feel way more tired than you'd think.

I recently made a business trip to the US east coast for my GC gig and, for whatever reason, it was even more exhausting than making a trip to Asia. But I guess I'm just very comfortable and used to traveling around Asia than most people. I have another long trip to Asia coming up in a few weeks which will include over 2 weeks in China and nearly 10 days in Korea and I'm really looking forward to it but it'll be exhausting for sure.

Anyway, Guthrie is getting his much-needed rest after a two-month tour with SW. He needs that before the G4 Experience in June and embarking on another massive tour of US and Canada (45 dates) in early-July through the end of August. I couldn't go on a tour like that. I don't know how these guys do it but they do it and I admire them greatly for it. I love to travel but 4 weeks is the max for me. Razz
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Really? Someone said that? Rolling Eyes Just amazing the amount of ignorance and stupidity we have to deal with on the Internet... Well, it's just par for the course, I guess...

I've been on some tours with The Aristocrats as the tour manager and I can absolutely assure you that touring is not easy work. In fact, it's exhausting. I can handle it for about 3~4 weeks but I think I'd go mad if it was any longer.

I'm fine with about 3 weeks. I still make business trips to Asia that will last that length of time but different hotel rooms every few nights, all the waiting in line at the airports, the long car rides getting around in unfamiliar territories, different sights and languages, etc. tend to overwhelm your senses and make you feel way more tired than you'd think.

I recently made a business trip to the US east coast for my GC gig and, for whatever reason, it was even more exhausting than making a trip to Asia. But I guess I'm just very comfortable and used to traveling around Asia than most people. I have another long trip to Asia coming up in a few weeks which will include over 2 weeks in China and nearly 10 days in Korea and I'm really looking forward to it but it'll be exhausting for sure.

Anyway, Guthrie is getting his much-needed rest after a two-month tour with SW. He needs that before the G4 Experience in June and embarking on another massive tour of US and Canada (45 dates) in early-July through the end of August. I couldn't go on a tour like that. I don't know how these guys do it but they do it and I admire them greatly for it. I love to travel but 4 weeks is the max for me. Razz

They didn't say it like that literally, it was just my paraphrase reflecting their ignorance.

I couldn't do such extended trips either, it is reAlly hard on the family
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was ignorant too when I started going on tours with the Aristocrats! Laughing Going on clinic tours with just Guthrie visiting music stores and schools is one thing; going on full-blown tours with a band, dealing with promoters, booking agents, gear rental companies, and venues and all the logistics involved is another thing altogether. The amount of work involved can be overwhelming.

And the daily grind is hard. There are all the hassles involved with traveling, sitting in a van for 4~5 hours everyday, checking in at new hotels almost every night, loading in and setting up for the gig, doing the soundcheck with sound guys who don't hear things as the band does, selling merch, etc. and that's just before the show. After the show is the teardown and loading out, mingling with fans for signing, etc. and before you know it, it's 2am. And then you gotta get up and repeat all over again. Not as glamorous as it may seem but, when you think about it, it's an amazing thing that The Aristocrats can tour around the world playing their brand of instrumental music to very enthusiastic and passionate fans. So, in essence, the guys are living the dream. Very Happy Me, I'll stick with my gear company jobs and managing the band's label business. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Me, I'll stick with my gear company jobs and managing the band's label business. Wink

I'm sure your wife approves! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: