Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Cheaper alternative to GG's Charvel/Suhrs? Preferably USA ma
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheaper alternative to GG's Charvel/Suhrs? Preferably USA ma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pantshappened

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Cheaper alternative to GG's Charvel/Suhrs? Preferably USA ma Reply with quote

Hey there all. New to the forum. Was introduced to Guthrie's playing about 6 years ago, been a fan ever since. I, like many others, love the look and functionality of Guthrie's gear, particularly his guitar. Even his signatures he used to have with Suhr. But I don't know if I'll ever have $3600 to spend on a guitar. Even a used one at $3000ish. Anyone know of any alternatives in the $1000 range?

I've been playing guitar for 15 years and know about guitars. I've worked in a music store for the last 7 years and have always been pretty knowledgeable about gear, brands and all of that. But basically I would love something in the $1000 range that is like Guthrie's guitars as far as HSH, rear rout with direct mount pickups, 2 point trem that isn't a locking system, raw look (with the satin finish showing the wood grain and all that) and strat type body without being "shreddy" looking. Nothing against "shreddy" looking guitars haha just not my thing.

So far the closest thing would obviously be the Rasmus Guthrie model if one popped up. but they're hard to find, more in the mid $1000 range and not USA made though they are awesome guitars. And also Carvin or G&L but those don't have the best resale value. Same with a Warmoth or USACG type build. And other than that, a Fender seems to be the next best thing but HSH are few and far between for them and it'd most definitely have a pick guard (but because of that and the way they rout most of them lately, it'd probably be easy to switch it to HSH but would still lack the raw look but I could get passed that). Just wondering everyone else's findings if any. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!
terje_t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an American Deluxe HSH strat?

http://intl.fender.com/en-NO/series/american-deluxe/american-deluxe-stratocaster-hsh-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Has much of the same features, locking tuners, strat type body, somewhat natural finish, not too blingy, neck heel carved away.
pantshappened

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaah I've thought about that too but I'm really trying to go rear rout and direct mount pickups. And keep the cost as close to $1000 as possible. But even with American standard starts, im pretty sure they're routed inside with the option for hsh so that's my fall back. But the more I look, the more I realize the Rasmus seems the best way to go. Or if I have to, a used Suhr Modern Satin if it's priced right. But the fetch a pretty penny even used, and the Rasmus line has only gotten more scarce since they stopped them a few years ago and the GG model I think goes for $1200-$1500 or something if you can ever find one. But I remember trying it and it was great. But what if years down the road no one remembers or cares and just sees a Chinese made guitar with nice hardware and just thinks "ok, it's a $500 guitar". Just thinking out loud now haha sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: