Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - how would describe the cornford amps?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how would describe the cornford amps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
can the hellcat really do metal?

Yes, the Hellcat has more than enough gain to wreak havoc in the world of metal.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
while other amps in the opposite end of the spectrum ("Baby Butt Amps"?Wink) are really soft, spongy and juicy to begin with and don't require much effort from the player to pull those kinds of sounds out of.

what amps are these? and where can I get them? lol Laughing Razz
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
while other amps in the opposite end of the spectrum ("Baby Butt Amps"?Wink) are really soft, spongy and juicy to begin with and don't require much effort from the player to pull those kinds of sounds out of.

what amps are these? and where can I get them? lol Laughing Razz

Haha, not going to touch that with a 10-foot pole! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got in the MK50H head in a few days ago and I've had several go through here before, but I never really had the chance to really crank it up side by side with others in the shop as they got snatched up before I could do so. Well, a real killer shred guitarist customer who frequents the shop stopped by today to try out the VHT UltraLead and Soldano SLO heads in the shop. Then he noticed the Cornford MK50H I just put in the soundroom and decided to give that one a whirl.

This guy is one of the 2 or 3 best all-around guitarists around this local area and is a killer metal/shred guitarist. He likes the amp to be really tight, unforgiving, fast tracking for his hyper-speed licks, punchy, ballsy with a lot of gain but very open-sounding. So he figured the UL would be the one based on its reputation and he really liked it a lot along with the others in the shop like the SLO, the Diezel Herbert, etc., but he was totally blown away by the MK50H. And I heard it, too. Shocked And this guy isn't just a one-trick pony shredmeister but a well-rounded player well versed in classic rock, blues-rock and fusion kind of stuff as well.

The tones were juicy but clear and was able to handle as much speed as he could throw at it. And we've certainly seen Guthrie do that with the MK50H on various tracks on the clinic DVD and on the Asia clip here on this forum. So that's the MK50H. I'm going to give it a good run later today because it seems he's set on getting it. His name is Guy and he asked me what the philosophy of Cornford is all about. He said, "The Cornford wasn't even on my radar, so what's his amp all about?" I answered and got into the whole "Man's Amp" thing again and we had a good laugh about the whole thing.

Cornford amps' voicing, IMHO, has some of the best attributes of the great British amps like Marshall, Vox, and Hiwatt with a sprinkling of Orange thrown in (which I got to demo about a week ago, by the way). The MK50H and the Hellcat are definitely tight and unforgiving with a raw edge to their tones. But as I stated earlier, you can pull out the juicy and harmonically rich singing tones when you put the work into your guitar and squeeze 'em out. It's bold, punchy and as tight as a Hiwatt, as cutting and singing as an old Marshall but with more musical high gain structure, and the sweetness and the high-end chime of a Vox. As I've stated before, the MK50H and the Hellcat aren't for the faint-hearted. You get out of them what you put into 'em: garbage in, garbage out - great stuff in, great stuff out... Cornford amps are as honest as an amp can get with a particular voicing that is familiar and unique sounding at the same time. Awesome!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornfords are for studs! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed, i'm not a studly player, although i like to pass myself off as one! Laughing
Edovinus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Guthrie dvd gives me accute GAS! The Mk50 and Hellcat are definitely on the top of my wishlist. Not sure if I'm a stud though...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edovinus wrote:
That Guthrie dvd gives me accute GAS! The Mk50 and Hellcat are definitely on the top of my wishlist. Not sure if I'm a stud though...

Well, with its very unforgiving and responsive nature, I'm sure the Cornford will force you to improve your technique a whole lot, which in turn, will make you a stud! Wink Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Well, with its very unforgiving and responsive nature, I'm sure the Cornford will force you to improve your technique a whole lot, which in turn, will make you a stud! Wink Laughing

Well... I know unforgiving amps: played a Rivera since 1998. That amp forces you to play well, so I think I know what you're talking about. There's something illusive when you make it work though, as if you're rewarded this extra shimmer. That still doesn't mean I think I'm a stud though: I'm more of a slacker Smile

I think a Cornford would make me very happy, plus they look fabulous too.
drezdin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Edo Very Happy
Edovinus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drezdin wrote:
hi Edo Very Happy

Hey drezdin Laughing
Robroy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Are the Cornford amps very reliable? If they happen to break down, does the amp have to be shipped back to England for repair? I love the tone of both the Hellcat and MK50.

Robroy
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robroy wrote:
Ed,

Are the Cornford amps very reliable? If they happen to break down, does the amp have to be shipped back to England for repair? I love the tone of both the Hellcat and MK50.

Robroy

Along these lines, do you think that Paul will ever make available schematics for his amps?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robroy wrote:
Ed,

Robroy

I really believe they are indeed very reliable. They're built like the proverbial tank and have stood the test of many world tours in the service of many world-class players - including Guthrie's tours with Asia, Richie Kotzens tours all over the world.

Cornford amps are PTP, so servicing should be quite easy and it would not need to be sent back to UK. I've noticed that 99.5% of the problems are tube-related anyway. The others were fuse-related or some switching kind of stuff. Cornfords don't have MIDI, multi channel switching and all those kinds of gadgetry that can typically go wrong, so I think you can be assured of rock-solid performance for many years to come.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
Robroy wrote:
Ed,

Robroy

Along these lines, do you think that Paul will ever make available schematics for his amps?

We'll have to check with Paul on that. I don't think it's something high-end boutique makers want to make public. It's one thing for someone to try to steal and copy a Fender circuit, but within this realm, there are too many hobbyists who could use the ideas painstakingly developed over many years by someone like Paul (or Peter Diezel, or Reinhold Bogner, or Stevie Fryette, or John Suhr, etc.) and then come out with something similar and call it their own, which is really not cool at all...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: