Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - I thought I knew fast!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I thought I knew fast!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Yeah I really like Robben Ford.

I mentioned Robben Ford to Guthrie a while back as my guitar teacher is really keen on him .. he grinned and said ALL guitar teachers like Robben Ford.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Yeah I really like Robben Ford.

Two players who excel at both slow and fast playing for me are Guthrie and Allan Holdsworth.

... Love James XXX

Yep, Guthrie is as fun and interesting to listen to and watch playing real slow as he is playing fast. Shawn Lane is great, too, when playing slow.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Lane is very great at slow and melodic ideas. Have you seen the Sneaky Petes video yet? The song at the end with the EJ inspired lines was breathtaking. I also really liked his rhythm playing quite a bit on those last songs.
James W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, on whatever computer I try the video for Sneaky Petes doesn't work. I can get the audio for it, but it's still annoying.

... Love James XXX
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: What about Brett Garsed? Reply with quote

When it comes to tasty phrasing, I just can´t find anyone I like better than Brett Garsed. The tone, note choice, and the sheer warmth and feel of those legato lines... I just think he is the best legato player ever. Also love his great ability to play on many styles so convincingly and still being 100% recognizable.

Andy Timmons is amazing as well.

EJ is an incredible talent as well. Can´t believe those tones. I want a new album from him so bad...

Let´s see what the new JP album is about. I can´t say I like JP´s work in the last 2 albums much. I hope the long recording process served as a means to bring original ideas and interesting phrasing...

John Petrucci
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
For some reason, on whatever computer I try the video for Sneaky Petes doesn't work. I can get the audio for it, but it's still annoying.

I used to have that problem. Try going to www.divx.com and downloading the DivX Player - it plays fine on that.

Cheers,
Alun
James W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Alun. Very Happy

You're a great bass player, BTW.

... Love James XXX
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta very much, that's very kind of you Very Happy

Alun
Will

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late catching on to this subject. I was writing a reply earlier today but someone dragged me down the pub.

The speed thing is good. But when you see someone playing super fast (specifically that guy in the video) they are usually 3 note per string patterns (strictly up and down) It seems easy to over look the jazz guys that play various different orders of notes at speed. I remember seing Andy Jones at ACM noodle through some jazz scales in different note orders and being shocked.

Guthrie does it all the time, its shockingingly scary. I think it was him that one day said to a class of students (it may have been Pete Callard) that they should listen to some BB King. Because that guy can simple play one or two notes that will sound better than anyone else can do. And lets face it, he's built a pretty impressive career from it.

I don't mean to try and bring back the argument. But some people have to accept that the majority of people that post here aren't interested in trying to play as fast as they can to a metronome. I've even seen players play live and thought "that last 4 bars was just a pattern previously practised to a metronome"

After all, this is a Guthrie forum. Most the people here are signed up to other guitarists forums such as Bumblefoot, or Scott Henderson. I'm not saying that its wrong that some people use different means of practise. But just don't be suprised if nobody else agrees. Fair enough if you think that the "just play music" thing is bollox. It just really pisses me off, because when i see what was played in that video - i just picture either a load of black dots on a fretboard diagram, or rising and falling numbers on tablature.

Obviously that will help your technique, but you don't want to get to a stage where you realise you have to work backwards.

ie: like Chris said (and i respect chris because i remember how well he can play) - if someone sits down in front of you and starts hammering out a blues shuffle etc - what do you play???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: