Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Yngwie Playing Da Blooze?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yngwie Playing Da Blooze?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Yngwie Playing Da Blooze? Reply with quote

This clip from his instructional video was generating some heated debate on some other forum, so I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys thought.

Da Blooze

So is Yngwie really playing the blues or is he playing the Em pentatonic scale really fast?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yngwie Playing Da Blooze? Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
This clip from his instructional video was generating some heated debate on some other forum, so I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys thought.

Da Blooze

So is Yngwie really playing the blues or is he playing the Em pentatonic scale really fast?

Am I allowed to say "that sucked" without sparking a 10 page debate and getting banned? I have a feeling Yngwie ran into another room and played harmonic minor scales as fast as he could for an hour after this to catch up Mr. Green
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey do you mind posting a link to that discussion....just curious

wasn't very interesting....i dunno I guess you can call it blues playing. Could have been worse, at least he didn't try to play over any jazz Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
hey do you mind posting a link to that discussion....just curious

wasn't very interesting....i dunno I guess you can call it blues playing. Could have been worse, at least he didn't try to play over any jazz Laughing

Here it is. And prepare to be doing a lot of Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68667
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to go in there Rolling Eyes
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yngwie Playing Da Blooze? Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Da Blooze

Am I allowed to say "that sucked" without sparking a 10 page debate and getting banned?

Please, let it all hang out in here. Mr. Green

How did I feel? I somehow managed to sit through it, but that was almost embarrassing to watch. I was muttering, "Oh, god..."

Yngwie is a great player - no doubt, but the truth of the matter is that he hasn't done anything new, different, or better than that Rising Force album that was released some 20 years ago. I remember being an Yngwie fanatic when that album was released at that time. That was such an awesome splash into the scene, but it's a sad thing when Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun are still the highlights and encore material some 20 years later. I utterly gave up on Yngwie many, many moons ago.

Technically, he has few equals and he's naturally a very gifted player, but what about the ideas? This clip demonstrates an utter lack of ideas and imagination. What's also surprising is how he stays in the pentatonic box and doesn't even try to venture out a bit except for a bit of chromatic tapping runs that any novice can figure out within the first year or two of playing.

I don't want this thread to turn into a bash party, but this clip is just bad as far as I'm concerned. It's also not indicative of the type of player Yngwie is. To me, it also shows that Yngwie doesn't sound comfortable or natural when he's not in his favored element. Basically, it shows that this is something that he'd rather not be playing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
at least he didn't try to play over any jazz Laughing

I'd really love to see him give it a whirl and see what comes out of it. But only for about half-a-minute at most...

When he's doing his thing, he plays with as much authority as anyone I've seen and that's a very admirable trait. But the music has to be there before the playing aspects of it...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
I'm afraid to go in there Rolling Eyes

I felt the same when someone directed me towards a contentious Vai thread in the Holdsworth Forum. I went there and immediately thought, "Uh, I shouldn't have come in here..."

So now, I have to return the favor! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've read so far, that thread was quite entertaining Laughing

yeah, Yngwie's style was really innovative back then during his Alcatrazz and Rising Force days. However, the truth of the matter is that there were guitarists that immediately caught up to him and eventually took that style of playing to other, more interesting avenues. Guys like Greg Howe and Vinnie Moore delved into that style, did it better and moved on. Yngwie, unfortunately, didn't. But, on the upside, Yngwie will always be known for bringing in that brand of virtuostic playing. Too bad that holding that title doesn't do much for one's creativity. Probably the most creative thing he's done post-rising force was the Concerto Album....which I thought was really good.

Yngwie always claimed that he has perfect pitch so I'd figure that he would have the "ear" to be a little more inventive with his changes. I don't have an ear at all....I cant play changes unless I preplan a lot Embarassed...but at least I would try to plan ahead and know the chords...lol. Even his pentatonic phrasing wasn't even interesting.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have that instructional video many eons ago. definitely the worst i ever spent any money on. i'll never buy anything with yngwie in it ever. Mad he's fooled me into buying his stuff long enough. what a buffoon he has turned into. i was reading that thread in that maudlin of a forum. after a few pages, i was thinking, "why even bother with what these old geezers have to say?" Rolling Eyes sorry, but i dont' think ynqwie could play the blues even if someone stole all of his strats and his wife... "da blooz" certainly isn't part of his makeup.
sterlingsilver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwie's instructional videos certainly aren't worth your money if you want instruction, he is a great player, but great players don't always make great teachers. i had this one where he mumbled a little bit between licks and the whole time he had a lit cigarette hanging precariously off of the headstock of his guitar. he seemed like he was on drugs the whole time but i got a kick out of watching him play. how does he play while wearing all of that jewelry?
Edovinus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen, heard and can imagine worse than this. It's not "Blues"-blues, it's "Yngwie"-blues: no need for high expectations concerning that. I rented this video at the library years ago, and though I thought it was very entertaining, it was lacking in instructional value.

alexkhan wrote:
When he's doing his thing, he plays with as much authority as anyone I've seen and that's a very admirable trait.

Yeah, I agree with this statement. I've only seen him play live once and he's an exceptional guitarist.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the last G3 that came through town and that was pretty stupid on my behalf. Yngwie did the same licks over and over and over Rolling Eyes ... It got so monotonous. Then Vai took stage and and played alright I guess Confused Just a whole lot of weirdness came out of his guitar. By this time my back was killing me from standing for so damn long, so we got out of there before satch came out (thank god). There were alot of uneducated people talking about guitar at those shows. I heard somebody saying that Jason Becker was just a Yngwie rip-off and that he had "MLS" Confused And many a diehard satch fan were there, telling everyone around them how satch was the greatest ever and there was nobody even close to matching his abilities. All in all it was an extreme waste of money time and gas.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Yngwie's style was really innovative back then during his Alcatrazz and Rising Force days.

i never considered yngwie's style "innovative". blackmore, uli roth, schenker, and rhoads already had the neo-classical thing down long before yngwie came onto the scene. yngwie just had way more chops to make the proper impact in such a style of playing. but notice how quickly guys like macalpine, vinnie moore, gilbert, bouillet, becker, friedman, tafolla, chastain, fath, impelliteri, stump, etc., "caught up" with him in such a short period of time.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
And many a diehard satch fan were there, telling everyone around them how satch was the greatest ever and there was nobody even close to matching his abilities.

Laughing Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: