Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Note choise
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note choise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiebren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Note choise Reply with quote

Hello

I was wondering where do you base your note choise on. Do you hear it in your head, do you play something because you know you can, or maybe both.

I mostly play stuff because i know i can play it over a certain progression. I Guess is the bad way of doing things.

I'd love to hear some opinions about it on how to improve at translating your mind to the fretboard.

happy weekend,

Wiebren
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Note choise Reply with quote

Wiebren wrote:
I mostly play stuff because i know i can play it over a certain progression. I Guess is the bad way of doing things.

Actually, that's a great start! That's how I've been doing it up until now. I have a new teacher who's encouraging me to learn all the chord tones I'm playing over. So in other words, if I'm playing over Bb7, then I'll be anchored to knowing where Bb-D-F-Ab are everywhere on the fingerboard (horizontally and vertically). So in other words, the focus right now is on "arpeggios" rather than on scales. And I say "arpeggios" because it's not about arpeggios as much as it's about always knowing the chord tones whether I'm playing scalar or intervallic runs.

Knowing the chord tones, I can always resolve to them when I'm playing just about anything else. Then I can experiment with upper extensions, like 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. Then I can introduce chromaticism/non-chord tones.

In the beginning (like now for me) it's a manual process of learning to hear/play all this so that I can better bring out what I hear in my head over the changes. The end goal is to always know what the 3rd, or the b9 or a #11 will sound like over any given chord so that when I hear that particular sound in my head I will know exactly what to do with my fingers. I hope one day to be really good at it. Right now it's a lot of work to _really_ nail. Wink

Hope that helps.

Dave
Bode

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Note choise Reply with quote

Wiebren wrote:
Hello

I was wondering where do you base your note choise on. Do you hear it in your head, do you play something because you know you can, or maybe both.

I think you're doing the right thing...you're using your musical intuition in combination with what's theoretically right.

And thanks dkaplowitz for the great tip!

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
Wiebren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, that's a great start! That's how I've been doing it up until now. I have a new teacher who's encouraging me to learn all the chord tones I'm playing over. So in other words, if I'm playing over Bb7, then I'll be anchored to knowing where Bb-D-F-Ab are everywhere on the fingerboard (horizontally and vertically). So in other words, the focus right now is on "arpeggios" rather than on scales. And I say "arpeggios" because it's not about arpeggios as much as it's about always knowing the chord tones whether I'm playing scalar or intervallic runs.

Knowing the chord tones, I can always resolve to them when I'm playing just about anything else. Then I can experiment with upper extensions, like 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. Then I can introduce chromaticism/non-chord tones.

In the beginning (like now for me) it's a manual process of learning to hear/play all this so that I can better bring out what I hear in my head over the changes. The end goal is to always know what the 3rd, or the b9 or a #11 will sound like over any given chord so that when I hear that particular sound in my head I will know exactly what to do with my fingers. I hope one day to be really good at it. Right now it's a lot of work to _really_ nail. Wink

Hope that helps.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I really like your idea of doing things, i guess its time to learn all the chord tones by heart. I also like the fact that your not just learning names but in time you will also learn the sound that goes with the names. I too hope that someday i will be able to translate the stuff in my mind to the fretboard and i think your idea will help me get closer to my goal.

Quote:
I think you're doing the right thing...you're using your musical intuition in combination with what's theoretically right.

Hello Bode,

Thanks for you insight. But i guess i will need to take things a step further to reach my ultimate goal. The reason why i think this way is because i'm already doing "it" and i don't feel that my situation is improving Smile.

Besides all this,

I have to say that your soundclip kicks ass, so keep up the good work bode Smile

More thoughts welcome offcourse Smile

Wiebren
Bode

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiebren wrote:
Quote:

Hello Bode,

Thanks for you insight. But i guess i will need to take things a step further to reach my ultimate goal. The reason why i think this way is because i'm already doing "it" and i don't feel that my situation is improving Smile.

Besides all this,

I have to say that your soundclip kicks ass, so keep up the good work bode Smile

More thoughts welcome offcourse Smile

Wiebren

Thanks Wiebren! Smile

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: