Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Guitar Collection
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Guitar Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Guitar Collection Reply with quote

Well, you know enough about the two Suhr Standards that are now his main guitars. Here's the list:

Suhr Standard S/N 2650 Root Beer
Suhr Standard S/N 3996 Cherry Sunburst w/Reverse Headstock

PRS Custom 24 - from early-90's
Gibson ES-335 - from early-70's
Tokai Strat-copy

I believe he may have a Briggs guitar of some sort that's kind of like a PRS. I did see a video of him playing a Briggs with a hard-tail.

He has a Vigier Surfreter coming that I'm sure he'll put to good use in the future.

I think his only acoustic is some old Takamine Spanish guitar that he mentioned in the first Questions thread.

Guthrie advised me that the Mahogany Suhr Standard 3996 is the number one and being used exclusively on the Asia tour. He loves the Root Beer 2650 as well, but he felt that the Mahogany one was cutting through better through the dense Asia mix.

Suhr is working on a bunch of new guitars for the future, so I'm thinking about what else Guthrie could use down the line.

I think a Classic with 3 single-coils a la Scott Henderson would be really good. I know that Tokai Strat copy has served him well, but it seems that one could be "semi-retired" like the PRS and the 335 with a new Classic. Guthrie definitely prefers necks with a rosewood fingerboard. He said he could never quite get into the one-piece maple neck guitars. But for the authentic country twang, there'd be nothing quite like this one:

http://community.webshots.com/album/183984106nySoMO/1

Guthrie with a Tele?Shocked I say, why not?!? He'll rip on it for sure.

Then, he could use a single-cut set-neck guitar with the 24.75" Gibson scale. Suhr is hoping to release their set-neck model sometime later in the year and you can bet we'll have Guthrie give it a serious run and see what he thinks.

After that, we need to outfit him with a hollow-body archtop guitar. It'd be really cool to see him play a guitar like that through a clean amp. I know he covets one but it's probably not on the top of his gear agendas at the moment.

Then we have to get him a nice steel-string acoustic. My thoughts are that fingerstyle-playing a la Roche, Kottke, Leeb, Hedges, etc. and flatpicking a la bluegrass/country masters like Tony Rice, Doc Watson, Doyle Dykes, etc. require different kinds of acoustic guitars. A nice 12-string would be a good thing to have as well for the studio.

It's apparent that Guthrie has a real soft spot for the sound of the nylon-string acoustic, whether it's the traditional classical "Spanish" guitar or a modernized version that's meant to be plucked with a pick a la McLaughlin.

Guthrie doesn't seem to care about collecting guitars for the sake of collecting them. It's pretty apparent that he only cares about playing them to get certain sounds he needs and that suit his playing style. It'll be fun to see what sounds he comes up in the future with all these guitars. I'll do what I can to make sure he gets his hands on the very best!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, Guthrie also mentioned that he picked up a 6-string banjo on one of the Questions threads. I'm sure he'd kill on a banjo and a mandolin as well. He mentioned that he played the violin for some years. I wonder how much he plays. The fact that he has some experience on the violin somewhat explains his amazing proficiency on the fretless guitar. It boggles the mind that he would pick up a fretless that he hasn't touched in a year and perform the song "Erotic Cakes" live and play it as though he's playing a regular fretted guitar. Shocked Those of us who saw that on Jan 18 still shake our heads in disbelief when we talk about that night which unfortunately wasn't captured on video.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
He mentioned that he played the violin for some years. I wonder how much he plays. The fact that he has some experience on the violin somewhat explains his amazing proficiency on the fretless guitar.

A friend of mine was at School with Guthrie and recounted to me about an assembly where Guthrie played some amazing piece on the violin and then picked up the guitar and played some other piece... I can't recall if he played Hendrix on the violin and a caprice or some such on the guitar or vice-versa.. I recall that Seth had his arm in plaster and was playing bass at the time... that would have been around 1989-90.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: