Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Gary Moore Comments About G3
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gary Moore Comments About G3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Gary Moore Comments About G3 Reply with quote

From a recent interview:

"It sounds like an old Cliche, but I can appreciate the ability yet it does nothing for me. I watched it with my son and he couldn't take more than one song from each of those guitarists. It was like a circus. I don't want to slag anyone off, but if I am I don't give a fuck; I'm just telling the truth. Yngwie comes out and plays everything your going to hear in the first two minutes. Then Steve Vai's got a guitar with three necks and he's set up a loop and its all very clever because he's playing this fretless guitar, but where's the music? Can anyone write a song here?"

I've known for a while that Gary is not into the whole modern shred kind of a scene, but I just wonder why he needs to be so untactfully vocal about it on a magazine interview... Confused
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear.
Seeing as Mr Moore "don't give a f*ck", I'm sure he won't mind if we express similar heartfelt opinions....

I actually agree with his comment about Yngwie, by the time the first song starts, you have heard every lick he's gonna play. But still, the YJM performance is bordering on comical with the high-kicks etc, so I'm inclined to overlook that Smile

But to lay into Vai (in my mind undoubtedly the greatest living guitarist, sorry Guthrie!) seems to be asking for trouble. Take one listen to Tender Surrender and tell me that Vai's compositions aren't of the very highest standard.

Alterntaively, take one listen to Still Got The Blues, and after the first solo you've heard every 2-fingered pentatonic lick you're gonna hear on the whole album. There's an old saying about people in glass houses throwing stones....

Just my 2 cents, which after all are no more or less valid than anyone else's, but I've never understood why people in the public eye say things like this about their (let's be honest, far superior) peers.

Jordan.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really been a Gary Moore fan..his style is boring to me..but my respect for him has certainly gone down a few notches.

I don't know what he's smoking but Vai and Satriani write some great tunes and no one has had more success in the instrumental guitar genre than Vai and Satriani. Ever guitar player owes a great deal to these guys.

As for G3, it's all about putting a show for the audience.
Javi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe... Because he would have liked to be one of the G3 in some stage? Rolling Eyes
Maybe... Because he would have liked to be comercially sucessful and be recognized like one of the best? Rolling Eyes
Maybe... Because he tried to break into the guitar world with, for example, his work "After Hours" (1992), when he was more "monitorized" by the guitar fans, to try to provoque a "Waaaooouuu" and he couldn't? Rolling Eyes
Maybe... Because after that, He just dropped down into the oblivion and only the blues fans probably could follow him? Rolling Eyes
Maybe... He just wanted to be the second in the list after Jimi? Rolling Eyes
I really don't know... Rolling Eyes
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and paste from another forum regarding this matter:

vinnyburns wrote:

Gary lost his core audience when he ditched rock and turned himself into a blues guitarist overnight. He refused to do any of his back catalogue on the Still Got The Blues tour. Not good when people who bought a ticket have bought those albums too.

I don't mind people playing different styles and changing. It's when they dismiss the stuff that fans have bought years ago but then come full circle and start playing that stuff again and expect the fans to dig him again.

Great guitarist ( I still love his playing and listen to him) but he has no market at the moment because he has burned a lot of bridges.
All the best.
Vinny.

He certainly lost me. A one album detour to explore something different is cool, but just ditching everything you did until then didn't go over well with me and a lot of other fans. I remember some of my friends who were fans saying, "He's not getting my money for that blues crap." Personally I liked Still Got the Blues but thought that he'd come back to his core afterwards. But the subsequent albums were pretty maudlin and it was like, "Okay, Gary, bye-bye..." Crying or Very sad

Looking back on his career, it seems that he has always taken the reactionary route. He was never a trailblazer in the sense that guys like Jeff Beck and McLaughlin were and it seems, to me, the blues direction was taken as a reaction to the shred scene of Yngwie, Satch and Vai because he knew he wouldn't be able to keep up with those guys in that sort of a market. And like you say, when the blues thing died and he tried to get back into the rock thing, it's like, who cares anymore? I certainly don't.

I agree that he just made some bad career decisions. It's like a company ditching its core products to capitalize on some new trend instead of sticking with what you've become known for. And it seems he's always been tentative about taking the lead and be the innovator. As arrogant as he may seem, he seems to always put himself in the shadow of someone like Jeff Beck, like he's really not even in JB's league. It seems that he never had a very clear direction on what he wanted to do and establish a firm musical identity for himself. That's just my take. I think he's a great player, too. It's a shame that he couldn't have done more and be more successful at what he does.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gary Moore Comments About G3 Reply with quote

"It was like a circus. I don't want to slag anyone off, but if I am I don't give a fuck; I'm just telling the truth. Yngwie comes out and plays everything your going to hear in the first two minutes"

I watched the G3 in Denver DVD it left me cold.. I can appreciate what he's saying, and respect his honesty. If it's a case of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" I don't know that he can comment, I tuned out a long time ago.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: