Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Songs without frets....
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs without frets....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Songs without frets.... Reply with quote

Just defretted some guitars, put some songs up @

www.purevolume.com/timmirth

Fretless is so freeing.

Tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to describe the de-fretting process?

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure...

actually it's quite easy, in fact I did it with only a pair of needle nose pliers (a pretty good, new pair)

For me, of course, I took the strings off, then I tried to get the pliers to grab the fret near the ends of the fret, as far to the end as possible.
I then squeezed as hard as I could to hold onto the fret, and pull up with a steady slow motion, trying not to just rip the thing out. If you can just get it out a little it will wiggle free nicely.
After doing two, taking a break around half might be good on your hand if you don't want bruises from squeezing.
If you are doing a strat, or other guitars too, use a soldering iron because they glue their frets in, and the iron will heat them up and they will pop out.

After playing one for a couple weeks now, it's great, and very freeing, frets seem so in the way now. There is a lot of technique involved.
I'm actually almost done writing a little fretless method book, and they will be putting it up on www.unfretted.com as soon as I type it up. It's really just a very technical book to gain control over playing a fretless instrument.
I've got some pictures of the guitar at zebox.com/timmirth along with more songs.
Thanks for the interest,

Tim Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. I enjoyed the clips. How do you play chords on the fretless? That seems to be the most difficult thing to play on such a guitar. Do you use standard tuning?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for listening,

as far as chords go, it's not that bad if you don't want to play bar chords, and let's face it, bar chords ain't all that anyway. But you do have to be more precise, no more just floppying your finger down on a spot knowing the fret will save you. I think it's just a matter of caring about the sound. Now on the little straight jazz tune there, I was sight reading the chart, and a couple times I come a little low, so that is very difficult to do, because you have to be more precise.
I think playing on the fretless makes you more conscious of what you are playing, instead of just doodling.

As far as tuning, the acoustic is down a whole step, the electric is standard tuning.
You tune lower because low frequencies come out better than the hi, and the less tension the better sustain.

Thanks for listening,

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: