Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Michael Angelo - (Yeah, _that_ thread ;)
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Angelo - (Yeah, _that_ thread ;)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Michael Angelo - (Yeah, _that_ thread ;) Reply with quote

Who else thinks that MAB is a pathetic walking gimmick who has desperately tried over the years to pschologically compensate with speed and idiotic and non-practicle contraptions for what he lacks in creative talent?

He is a cultural product of an over-excessive 80s.

... Love James XXX

Last edited by James W on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and remain as neutral as possible, but I have seen some clips of his where you wonder what the point is.....it's very fast, and his arms are flailing around like a fish out of water, but what's he actually playing?
I've also read some interviews of his online, where he seems only too pleased to tell everyone how good he is.

However, the proof of the pudding could be in the following:

Has he ever had a hit record?
Has he ever been in a successful band?
Can you hum one of his "solos"?
Does he have a good tone?
Do any big-league guitarists (Vai, Satch etc..) ever mention him?

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess the answer to most of those is no.
Just my two cents.
James W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh time for more vitriol Twisted Evil

MAB is a complete charlatan; in contrast to his tediously academic music; he comes up with the most idiotic of circus tricks.

Gimmick

noun. a trick or device to attract attention.

As you can guess, Michael's trick is his under/over thing and his device is his bi or quad guitar. It's almost like he has purposely decided to be a gimmick!

As you can tell; I'm quite pissed off. Sorry.

... Love James XXX
bill®

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, you are a negative nelly. As crappy as I think Michael Angelo's music might be, I have to ask myself who this kind of talk is benefiting...?

Well, I don't think it's benefiting anyone, apart from yourself who seemingly has a rather large Michael Angelo shaped chip on his shoulder. But hey, this is an open forum and we've all got the right to have our say.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him alot because he's exceptionally good at what he does SHRED!!!!! Everything else aside, appreciate him for that.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never took him seriously either and I could agree with you, but I agree that we don't really need to get into slagging anybody here. But, like Bill said, it is an open forum and opinions are valued here.

I do wonder, though, what we'll do when someone comes in here and slags Guthrie or is negative about what he does. I'm sure it's bound to happen one of these days.

My thoughts are that if you're not into what someone is doing, just ignore it. You heard the old saying, "Opposite of love isn't hate. Hate means that you actually care about it (or person). The true opposite of love is non-interest, as though it (or person) doesn't even exist."
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda wrote:
Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will,

Arlen and Mercer wrote:
You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative,
latch on to the affirmative.
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium
Liable to walk upon the scene

ThingFish wrote:
An' dat's entirely too true.

I have the power!
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm just annoyed as I got banned from his forum for apparently not thinking he is a genius; fascism or what?

... Love James XXX
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I don't fit in somewhere I usually go away humming if 6 was 9 .. "cos I got my own life to live through, and I ain't goin' to follow you" this happened quite a lot (and still does) , there's no point getting annoyed about it.

I have the power!
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words Frankus; I think I could apply this philosophy to other things I do.

Thanks.

By the way, I don't think that anyone will come here saying Guthrie is no good; because he actually is good.

... Love James XXX
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
By the way, I don't think that anyone will come here saying Guthrie is no good; because he actually is good.

Good and Bad are two sides to a coin.. I rather like the concept of duality so while massive bloody war is really bad for those involved, the budget of the countries involved; it's great for undertakers, things that take nutrients from the ground and the women of the country involved (from a fiscal point of view).. you'll always be rather subjective, but really there is no good or bad just view points that highlight the extremes.

I have the power!
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I know what you mean Frankus; but in all honesty, more bad than good will ever come out of war...

I must admit I find it difficult sometimes to really accept someone else's opinion on a musician; sometimes I find myself amazed that some people like someone who I always considered (and thought was a truism) someone was good. The same applies vise virsa.

But then again (this may sound a bit big-headed now) but I've never found anyone who is so passionate about music as me.

... Love James XXX
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes opinions are best kept to oneself (at least on a public forum) and sometimes not. When I mean "sometimes", it's knowing that the opinion will do little but rankle and cause needless confrontations. Sometimes opinions and differing views are necessary to just get different and fresh perspectives on things. I guess it comes down to knowing when to pick a "fight" and when to just say, "Why bother?".
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Sorry I'm just annoyed as I got banned from his forum for apparently not thinking he is a genius; fascism or what?

... Love James XXX

dood, did you just register and post on that forum just to say he sucks?

I think doing that is just unecessary stress....focus on artists that you like.

From what I hear, Michale Angelo is a real nice and geniune guy....not the type who thinks he's full of himself nor the type who would slag off another player just because they're different. He posted on the Petrucci forum a few times (I think in reaction to some criticisms about him), but he's been nothing but courteous).
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i agree with others here that there's no need to slag someone, i totally agree with james here. the guy's a joke and is a good example of someone giving shred a bad name. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: