Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - What Non-Guitar Music Do You Guys Listen To?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Non-Guitar Music Do You Guys Listen To?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: What Non-Guitar Music Do You Guys Listen To? Reply with quote

Every now and then, I just need to get away from the sound of the guitar and guitar-heavy music. It allows me to come back to the sounds of the guitar with fresh ears.

I really enjoy listening to classical music every now and then. From Baroque-era Bach to late-Romantic era orchestral excerpts from Wagner's operas, there is always something in classical music that really feeds the soul. Early Mahler and Richard Strauss is about as "modern" as I can get with classical music. I haven't been really able to get into Stravinsky and other 20th Century composers like Schoenberg, Stockhausen, etc., yet although I could appreciate their musical genius for taking the concepts of musical composition to its very limits. Wagner, Beethoven, and Bach remain my personal favorites with Mozart and Vivaldi thrown in for melodic variety. For colorful sounds, Rimsky-Korsakov and Tchaicovsky are great as well.

I consider myself a big jazz fan as well. Pat Metheny is one of my favorite guitarists of all time and he opened the door for me to a lot of great jazz music that has nothing to do with the guitar: bebop of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, MJQ, Bill Evans, Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, etc. Before Metheny, McLaughlin also exposed me to Miles and Miles' great quintets of the mid-60's. It's amazing to know that guys like Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, Wayne Shorter, McLaughlin, etc. were all backup players in Miles's bands before they went out on their own and made their own marks. I wish I had more time to really listen to and enjoy jazz. I don't consider it as background music at all and feel that the music deserves serious commitment from the listener in terms of concentration and effort to understand what the musicians are trying to get across. Ultimately, I believe this is the music that I'll be getting into most as time goes by.

But now is now and I really dig the modern trip-hop, hip-hop and electronica/techno sounds that fill the airwaves as well. I've always been intrigued by the good and great synthesizer sounds from the dawn of electronic keyboards and have always tried to stay on top of that field. Even from way back when I was fascinated by art-rockers like ELP and Yes featuring Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. That opened the door to Pink Floyd and King Crimson and then Brian Eno. Eno then opened all kinds of worlds of electronica soundscapes and I've been hooked ever since. I dug some Tangerine Dream stuff as well, but their stuff was a little too meandering for my taste.

And all that has now evolved to more dance-oriented techno stuff and I still love it. Electronica has branched into dozens of subgenres, but the ones that stand out and what I consider "essential" are discs by bands or artists like the Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Underworld, the Orb, etc., who more or less started as rave dance floor bands. Then there are the experimentalists like Autechre, the Aphex Twins, Boards of Canada, etc. who sort of the take concepts of Brian Eno as far as they could. Computer blips and noises somehow coalesce into some really nice cool music that I like to put in my CD players every now and then. I got into electronica again after listening to various Buckethead CD's. I really like the mix of heavy guitars with modern dance beats and techno sounds and I feel that's one of the reasons I dig Buckethead so much. It's also I really like Jeff Beck's new album, "Jeff". That's a great techno album with some great cutting-edge guitar playing on it. Talking of techno, Garbage is a band I've always liked a lot. Radiohead is really cool for just stretching out as well, even though they are a guitar-based band.

But then, to slow it all down somewhat, there is trip-hop. Massive Attack is the master of trip-hop, although bands and acts like Portishead, Thievery Corporation, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Morcheeba, etc. all take the heavy beats, cool it down to a simmering groove, and just mix it all up to create a very pleasant listening experience. Tricky's Maxinquaye is one of my all-time favorite albums. The hypnotic beats and the moods the music creates are all quite haunting. Trip-hop actually got me going into the hip-hop/rap realm and I've got a nice collection of what's considered "essential" rap albums from the likes of Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, NWA, the Beastie Boys, etc., but man, it's I have to be in a very certain mood to want to listen to that stuff.

Doesn't take too long to come back to Guthrie, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, Pat Metheny, Scott Henderson, Jimi, Led Zep, Buckethead, Satch, SRV, Allman Brothers, Clapton, Brett Garsed, Vai, EJ, Ron Thal, and on and on and on... Which is just fine with me.Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a lot of pop music... like Spears...Avril...etc. It sounds a bit of a sacrileage, esp. here, but it can be a nice break from all the fusion, jazz, shred stuff I always listen to.

I do listen to a lot of techno stuff as well like Garbage, Portishead, Underworld..etc. I've seen Garbage and Portishead numerous times. Right now, I'm really digging BT's album, Emotional Technolgy. I've always been a fan of work and a lot of his tracks just beg for guitars, so it's fun playing around with it Smile

I also listen to a lot of Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock...etc. Just amazing, but I have barely scratched the surface with these people.

But no rap for me Smile
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a big dance music phase, Orbital, Prodigy, The orb etc and love bands like Massive attack. Also love people like the beastie boys.Aside from that, I don't listen to 'guitarists' ie Vai, Satch etc as the music tends to leave me cold.

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Michael Brecker
Sonny Rollins

And, if you want to get access to all this music legally and cheaply I strongly suggest the Rhapsody subscription service. You get access to over 700,000 songs...all the jazz classics and tons of fusion.

You can signup through our affiliate program here:
http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1516631-10304540" target="_blank

It also helps support this site as well!
Check it out!
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a time and a place for guitars, and yeah, Alex, you're right - it's good to get away from the widdly stuff once in a while. Mind you, technical and musical proficiency on just about any instrument will always floor me, especially off-the-cuff improv.

My big influence is a band known well in the USA called "Blues Traveler" - they do a lot of HORDE tours, jam extensively, and have some pretty amazing virtuoso harmonica playing taking the limelight.

Ben Folds is another amazing performer - great hooky tunes, cool lyrics, and an ability to not so much play the piano but attack it head on.

For the more relaxing stuff, I'm a big fan of French Electro-poppers "Air", and also Ed Alleyne-Johnson,

Finally, for everything else, I keep it diverse, taking in Nina Simone, Salif Keita, Faithless, Dalaras, Burning Spear, old skool hip-hop, and just about anything that catches my ear.

There's too much music to listen to in the world, and restricting yourself just to listen to shred is doing yourself an injustice!
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the San Diego area we have a radio station called XLNC 91.1 that plays (this is their catchphrase) "The Top 400 Hits of the Last 400 Years" - all classical and all good stuff.

I also have a 15 year old son and a 21 year old daughter who expose me to some various forms of "music" from time to time Shocked
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if by "non-guitar" music you mean music in which the guitar is not the main raison d'être, then most of the music I listen to is that!

I like guitars to be within the music, though I do adore Hendrix and Sabbath and others.

I am a big fan of the guitar as a hint of flavour amongst the other taste.

Anyhow, I love a lot of electronica: electronic Krautrock like Kraftwerk and Cluster - Brian Eno over in the UK at the same time (he collaborated with Cluster of course). Crazy Americans like Suicide (another very big influence upon me) and Silver Apples... modern day weirdo stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, I love Detroit Techno like Juan Atkins and the Underground Resistance boys and their protégés. Musn't forget Industrial/EBM stuff like DAF, Laibach, Throbbing Gristle and the like.

Reggae and Dub are MASSIVE passions of mine - Augustus Pablo, Lee "Scratch" Perry and King Tubby are like gods to me! Hip-hop & rap - Public Enemy, Schoolly D, NWA, Mantronix, DJ Shadow, Beastie Boys, Run DMC...

I like a lot of classical and opera - Beethoven, Brahms, Stravinsky, Bartok, Schoenberg, Webern, Wagner, Mozart etc etc. I adore a great deal of "contemporary" music Karlheinz Stockhausen is a colossal musical hero of mine and a huge influence, John Cage, Edgard Varèse. Pierre Boulez...

Jazz - 'Trane, Miles, Bird, Hancock...others...

I love Massive Attack too, they are constantly astounding. Portishead, ditto. I like a lot of pop - Kylie Minogue, Sugababes, Jamelia, Destiny's Child, TLC etc etc.

Once again, I must stop, or I'll be here all night typing! Laughing
Guthrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gojirosan wrote:
modern day weirdo stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher

Good call! Amon Tobin seems to be doing good work in that general area, too...
Additional thumbs up for Luke Vibert, aka Wagonchrist, whose "Stop The Panic" collaboration with BJ Cole is well worth a chuckle - I'm always up for ridiculous musical concepts that couldn't possibly work, but it's especially nice when the results actually sound good!

Incidentally, I remember Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) from school - he was three years younger than me, and I'm fairly sure I sold him a hideous Jazz Bass copy at some point. He progressed so much in such a short space of time, it frightened people.
When he lost interest in his heavy metal band and retreated into his bedroom to play with second-hand samplers and boxes that go "bleep", none of the school musos could understand why such a talented musician would want to waste his time on "trivial" music. I guess I was as guilty of that prejudice as the next guy - until the day I heard "Hard Normal Daddy" and finally understood what he'd been up to during his hermit phase! Changed my entire perception of electronica, and the entire process must have taken all of five seconds Shocked

In other news... new Bjork album, anyone?
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:

Additional thumbs up for Luke Vibert, aka Wagonchrist, whose "Stop The Panic" collaboration with BJ Cole is well worth a chuckle - I'm always up for ridiculous musical concepts that couldn't possibly work, but it's especially nice when the results actually sound good!

Ah yes, Luke Vibert is quite remarkable...I think I'll stick some WagonChrist on now actually, since an unexpected monsoon is preventing me from going out and getting things done!
derek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Jarrett is AMAZING. Everyone needs to listen to Koln Concert. That was my first cd by him and I bought it used for like 7 bucks. I decided to buy it because I remember Shawn Lane mentioning him in his video. It has some of the most beatiful,powerful music I've ever heard. Here's a quote from Shawn Lane that was taken from an article in '92.

"Jarrett's God; he's in the top five musicians in this century, an absolute, absolute genius."
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:

Bought it yesterday and it's fantastic.The way they've used the choirs is wonderful (some of the harmonies remind me of the Bulgarian Women's Choir CDs that Jeff Beck raves about). I was hoping for a little more Mike Patton but overall it's well worth a listen.

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
Gojirosan wrote:
modern day weirdo stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher

Good call! Amon Tobin seems to be doing good work in that general area, too...

Incidentally, I remember Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) from school - he was three years younger than me, and I'm fairly sure I sold him a hideous Jazz Bass copy at some point. He progressed so much in such a short space of time, it frightened people.
When he lost interest in his heavy metal band and retreated into his bedroom to play with second-hand samplers and boxes that go "bleep", none of the school musos could understand why such a talented musician would want to waste his time on "trivial" music. I guess I was as guilty of that prejudice as the next guy - until the day I heard "Hard Normal Daddy" and finally understood what he'd been up to during his hermit phase! Changed my entire perception of electronica, and the entire process must have taken all of five seconds Shocked

Is "Hard Normal Daddy" a song or an album? I'll have to look into it. I have one of the Squarepusher albums but never got around to listening to it in the background once. Will have to give them a serious listen.

I'll have to check out the new Bjork album as well. I have Homogenic and Vespertine albums that I like to listen to eveyr now and then. She's certainly the most creative female artist I can think of with a style and sound all her own.

Speaking of female artists, anyone know what's up with Kate Bush? Used to be really into her during the "Hounds of Love" days. She seems to have dropped off the radar.

Guthrie, where do you find the time to absorb such a staggering variety of music and artists? You must have the ability to absorb 'em all and really understand what they're doing in one listening or something like that! Shocked For me, a lot of these artists would take 3 or 4 repeated listenings or more to really sink in - if and when I can find the time to do it.

I really need to get into Stravinsky. Which works of his performed by whom do you recommend to start out with? That's the thing about classical music - one has to not only research on the composers, but we may as well find what's considered the best performances by certain conductors and orchestras. It's a lot of work!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derek wrote:
Keith Jarrett is AMAZING. Everyone needs to listen to Koln Concert. That was my first cd by him and I bought it used for like 7 bucks. I decided to buy it because I remember Shawn Lane mentioning him in his video. It has some of the most beatiful,powerful music I've ever heard. Here's a quote from Shawn Lane that was taken from an article in '92.

"Jarrett's God; he's in the top five musicians in this century, an absolute, absolute genius."

Yeah, Jarrett is so up there that we need a telescope to see him! Very Happy I've got the Koln Concert and it's hard to believe that the whole thing was improvised. Some of the most beautiful melodies and piano playing imaginable.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
Guthrie wrote:

Bought it yesterday and it's fantastic.The way they've used the choirs is wonderful (some of the harmonies remind me of the Bulgarian Women's Choir CDs that Jeff Beck raves about). I was hoping for a little more Mike Patton but overall it's well worth a listen.

Alun

Been listening to this album on and off for a few weeks now and it's finally starting to filter in. Wasn't quite expecting such an "experimental vocal" type of an album based on what I've heard from Bjork before. It definitely goes well beyond what our "Western" ears are typically used to hearing. Very exotic sounding with ethereal and other-worldly harmonies and melody lines. Really cool. Certainly not for the faint-hearted! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
bill®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
derek wrote:

Yeah, Jarrett is so up there that we need a telescope to see him! Very Happy I've got the Koln Concert and it's hard to believe that the whole thing was improvised. Some of the most beautiful melodies and piano playing imaginable.

If you guys think think Koln is amazing you should check out The Vienna Concert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: