Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation" Album
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation" Album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation" Album Reply with quote

Now taking orders, it's online only...no record company.

Clips:
www.chrisgod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Curve.mp3
www.chrisgod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Glasgow_Kiss.mp3
www.chrisgod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Jaws_of_Life.mp3

Order:
http://johnpetrucci.safeshopper.com/14/6.htm?7

Hmmm... that first track is definitely a dead ringer for a Satch tune, except for the arpeggios near the end. I'd like to hear more clips before I make up my mind about buying the album. JP is an awesome player, but I've always found him a bit generic in terms of styling and sound is concerned.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree that his playing gets rather bland from time to time. I think moreso now than his I&W/Awake/ACOS days. Back then, his approach to solos were a lot more varied and interesting but I don't see that anymore in his recent albums, IMHO. Surely, his chops have reached insane proportions but i think he has become a little too focused on that aspect of his style and became a lil more mechanical/stiff as a result. I've seen him perform at G3, his performance was a definite crowd pleaser but I doubt it's really something that would hold my interest on CD.

I'll buy the album, eventually, depending on the types of reactions it receives. I did listen to "Curve," but it's not really doing anything for me.

I do post on the JP forum a lot, but mainly because that forum has a lot of insane players posting advice and opinions worth reading Smile
dave...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reallly like glasgow kiss from what i heard... mainly because of the drumbeat i have to admit....trying to find out if portnoy did it but im pretty sure. It's melodically much more interesting than the other ones anyway... but i dont think i will buy this cd considering the 100s of other things that deserve more attention.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... based on those clips, no... never was a big dt fan although they do what they do really well. jp never struck me as an interesting player although he could sure shred like a mofo.
Lord Bile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to this album quite a bit, I can say it's definitely worth buying, although there's nothing challenging on there or anything. Those clips aren't really representative of the best tunes either, although Glasgow Kiss is very good. What I'm most impressed with is his ability to write decent songs rather than just noodling. His tone is the best it's been as well.

It's one of those albums where on some songs, not all admittedly, I find myself rewinding certain bits over and over, definitely a good sign in my book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: