Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Sense of Time and Rhythm
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Sense of Time and Rhythm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Guthrie's Sense of Time and Rhythm Reply with quote

This aspect of Guthrie's playing and music often gets overlooked. I really think what makes Guthrie so enjoyable to many is the great sense of time and how he can groove in the pocket. It's easy to get absorbed in things like technique, the melody lines, the harmonies, the phrasing, the feel, etc., but what holds one's interest through the songs and the whole concert is that Guthrie and the band are constantly groovin' - hard, smooth, flowing or soft... It's not so regimented with machine-like precision of so many players and bands that play technically demanding music.

Guthrie is seriously into funk and modern dance-oriented techno beats and sounds besides jazz swing feel and just having a rock-solid sense of time. When you consider one of his all-time fave musicians is Stevie Wonder, you know that great rhythm and groove is something he thinks about constantly. As you listen and watch the Guthrie stuff over and over again, pay attention to the rhythmic aspects of his playing and the music. Now that I'm over the jaw-dropping aspects of the music and the playing, I find the little things like how he accents the beats, plays ahead and behind time, funk strumming, etc. are becoming more and more noticeable and enjoyable.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. This is maybe the biggest reason I like Guthrie so much. Rhythmn is so essential. It's amazing how many people don't care about it at all, especially just laying back and grooving. Get down brotha, yeah.

The rhythm is gonna get you,

Tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie did a warm up with a wah pedal playing funk rhythms it had the same intensity as Pete's drumming and it held everyone captive like a drum solo.. all percusive stuff. I'd just picked up the Ross Bolton Funk video .. was kind of a compressed masterclass.. but after about 30 seconds I'd learnt all I could take in and just enjoyed the rest of the performance.

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going mad or have we had this topic before? Was it one of the ones that was lost?

Alun
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:

Am I going mad or have we had this topic before? Was it one of the ones that was lost?

Alun

You're absolutely right! Smile I thought I had started a thread like this before but I was too lazy to dig through the list of threads and just started another one anyway since I know most people are also too lazy to dig through the list as well. Wink Another virtually identical thread is on the second page of this section. Sorry.Embarassed

The subject came to mind again as I watched the new DVD over and over again. It seems there is always something new that pops up every time I watch it.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief, I thought I'd been spending too much time here and started dreaming about posts!! Laughing

Anyway...yes, his sense of time is exceptional and his phrasing is extremely musical. I don't think I've ever heard him unintentionally speeding up or slowing down as so many players do ( I know I do Embarassed )

Alun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: