Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Scott Henderson Chord Book.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott Henderson Chord Book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Scott Henderson Chord Book. Reply with quote

Basically this dinky book, is a bit freakish..

I was expecting something similar to the Ted Green books but it's more guitarology than theory.. Shocked

I think I'll re-read it in a year or two, it might be practical for me by then.

I have the power!
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Scott Henderson Chord Book. Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

I was expecting something similar to the Ted Green books but it's more guitarology than theory.. Shocked

Similar to which Ted Greene Book? (I have at least 4 of his books, 2 of them are chord books). Can you elaborate on what "freakish" and "guitarology" mean in this context? I'm just curious. I've not seen that book. The only one of his I've seen is one that seems to just have a few transcriptions in it.

I have his way-old videos (fusion improv and phrasing for around $10. each) and I think they're pretty good in some ways. Not incredible or life changing, but a nice look into the myriad of choices one has over maj/min/dom chords.

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scott Henderson Chord Book. Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
frankus wrote:

Similar to which Ted Greene Book? (I have at least 4 of his books, 2 of them are chord books). Can you elaborate on what "freakish" and "guitarology" mean in this context? I'm just curious. I've not seen that book. The only one of his I've seen is one that seems to just have a few transcriptions in it.

Okay I've got Chord Chemistry, Modern Chord Progressions, Single Note Soloing 1 and 2 .. Sad pah 4, I thought there might be another book for me to get. I guess I was expecting a hybrid between Chord Chemistry or Chord Progressions, instead what you get is his own spin on synonyms in a colour coordinated chart... so each chord has a colour code denoting the tonality and that's hovered over strings to mark the root or seventh.. most of the chords are very interesting sounds but they are too advanced.

I feel happier building a strong foundation of chords and knowing the sounds before I try embelleshing it with his voicings

I have the power!
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Thanks for the description. I think it's the same material he covered in his videos too.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I read Bret Wilmott's harmonic extensions and realise that the Scott Henderson stuff is pretty slick really, so I'll be giving this a go after the move Wink

I have the power!
splatter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird... I just received the same book last night from Amazon. It looks interesting, but it is damned short. 16 pages for $10???
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory books are wierd. If you get Ted Greene books there's enough there to keep you reading for years. Admittedly there's precious little writing in it.

If you get Wayne Krantz's Improvisers OS you'll see the majority of the book consists of all the possible combinations of intervals, the rest kinda says "Go play" but in a wordy way reminiscent of a computer manual (which irritated the hell out of me, having reviewed O'Reilly books ;^).

It's a trade off, big book with lots to take in and years of graft before you realise the results or small book containing a few very powerful concepts that you can get to grips with sooner.

For me, the Scott Henderson book just looked like cheating, especially when compared to the Krantz and Greene books that visibly advocate a fuller knowledge. But after reading Bret Wilmott's Harmonic Extensions I think I've a handle on where Scott's book seems more focussed, and that's neat. I wasn't ready for it before.

If anything it's like the Mickey Baker Jazz Guitar book where he states you only need about 30 or so chords.. Baker chose them for the way they'd stand up in a big band; Scott's book picks voicings and turns them on their head in front of you, where so many other books would simply repeat the voicing 4 times in different sections. For that, it's more honest and helpful IMO.

I have the power!
nielsri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen Mick Goodrick's 'Voice Leading Almanac'? It's a series of books which takes chord progressions and voice leads them with different inversions and voicings. Its dense but I found it an exciting approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: