Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Greg Howe
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greg Howe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Greg Howe Reply with quote

I've been a big fan for years, but I'm starting to really get back into him - digging out the old CDs (Introspection, Parallax, Hyperacuity, Ascend, Uncertain Terms, Tilt, the Kotzen/Howe Project) and ordering the ones I'm missing (Five, Greg Howe) and the Japanese live DVD. My fave to date is still Parallax although I still dig Introspection and Uncertain Terms quite a bit. Started listening to Hyperacuity and Ascend again today. I didn't care for Ascend initially because I'm just not into the neo-classical or heavy keyboard prog kind of thing anymore, but it's growing on me. It's kind of cool Greg doing that kind of a thing with more of a rock edge to his sound. I still don't think it's what suits him and his playing style the best, but it's cool to hear him do something different.

In the modern rock/shred kind of a thing, Guthrie and Greg Howe really do it for me. Greg definitely has certain qualities and fluidity in his playing that I don't think anyone alive or dead could equal. His thing is quite different from that of Guthrie IMO although they could be viewed as being in the same genre (whatever that may be called). I wish Greg would also give a little more thought to marketing himself better because he should be appreciated by more progressive fusion fans out there. His technique is absurdly insane, but the musciality, the groove, the feel, and the phrasing are so top-notch as well.

I hear that Greg really would like to come out to LA and play some shows here, which has me very excited. I hear that playing the big pop gigs with the likes of Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson, N'Sync, Enrique Iglesias, etc. really isn't something he wants to do, which of course doesn't surprise any of us. I hope that Greg really gets out there and starts getting active in the live fusion scene. It's a tough scene and that's what's so sad about it, but it's even more tragic that he's in some small Pennsylvania town biding his time giving guitar lessons. Greg is a musical wonder who definitely needs to be appreciated more. Still dreaming of a Guthrie-Greg collaboration and I think it's something that will come to fruition some day.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Greg Howe Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I've been a big fan for years, but I'm starting to really get back into him - digging out the old CDs (Introspection, Parallax, Hyperacuity, Ascend, Uncertain Terms, Tilt, the Kotzen/Howe Project) and ordering the ones I'm missing (Five, Greg Howe) and the Japanese live DVD.

How can I find the Japanese DVD?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Greg Howe Reply with quote

Javi wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I've been a big fan for years, but I'm starting to really get back into him - digging out the old CDs (Introspection, Parallax, Hyperacuity, Ascend, Uncertain Terms, Tilt, the Kotzen/Howe Project) and ordering the ones I'm missing (Five, Greg Howe) and the Japanese live DVD.

How can I find the Japanese DVD?

www.cdjapan.co.jp

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(mint,one_line)/detailview.html?KEY=VIBJ-7

It's with the Japanese bass phenom known as Tatsuo Sakurai, Dennis Chambers on drums and a keyboard player named Akira Onozuka. I heard it's amazing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Greg is one of those guitarists that I mean to listen to ASAP, but, there is SO much I really want to listen to; just not enough money for the CDs! I should make a list or something...

... Love James XXX
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree about Ascend...I initially didn't like the whole concept but I ended up liking it really fast. I think it's one of the freshest takes on the genre I've heard so far. I think his kind of playing is really what most guitarists out there strive towards....he combines fluidity, good timing and groovy phrasing so effortlessly into one style. He can play over anything and it would still sound interesting.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Yeah Greg is one of those guitarists that I mean to listen to ASAP, but, there is SO much I really want to listen to; just not enough money for the CDs! I should make a list or something...

... Love James XXX

Get into him, James. You'll dig him a lot! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I definitely agree about Ascend...I initially didn't like the whole concept but I ended up liking it really fast. I think it's one of the freshest takes on the genre I've heard so far. I think his kind of playing is really what most guitarists out there strive towards....he combines fluidity, good timing and groovy phrasing so effortlessly into one style. He can play over anything and it would still sound interesting.

Yeah, I'm digging Ascend a lot now as well. It figured that he could put an interesting twist on a tired genre. I still don't care for the solo keyboard synth sounds (why do they always use that same cheesy sound?) but at least the playing is great. Definitely one of my fave albums within that genre now.

Greg's combination of fluidity, groove, sense of time, tasteful phrasing, insane chops, and feel is virtually unequaled in guitardom IMHO. My only caveat would be that the tunes seem to lack the catchy hooks and thematic development that will keep the listeners' interest all the way through, but this is fusion music for fusion music's sake, so I don't think it's that important. I wish Greg would make the jump and get a forum started...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Javi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Carlo wrote:

Yeah, I'm digging Ascend a lot now as well. It figured that he could put an interesting twist on a tired genre...

In my case was a little bit different. All we know that GH CDs penetrate in your brains pretty quickly, very digestive music but far from being less impresive... We all know GH music very well. Ascend digged into me nearly instantaneously Shocked . It was something I didn't hear before. Something with a typical powerful tone from GH transfered to another context. Something different using different resources, even from the Flamenco. Aswell, depends when the music get into your life. In my case, Ascend came to me when I had a personal dilemma. And this music "spoke" to me a few years ago and gave me an answer.
Apart of that, I like all the tracks (A lot) and specially, "Full Throttle" with his pupil and nearly identical tone Phrasant Aswani on the right channel.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ascend is really cool. I still think the production could have been better, but the playing is awesome and the music is very interesting with lots of unexpected twists and turns for this style of music which tend to have predictable formulas.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like Greg just started a forum, it is very new, it's at www.greghowelessons.com

By the way I think he just get's better on every cd, my favorite by far is "extraction" it's excellent.

Can't wait for the new stuff.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up for the GH forum. I don't care for the layout there - it's kind of cluttered and real busy-looking, but I suppose it's something we could get used to. Being able to choose the skin of the place is nice, but I had a real hard time deciding which one I liked best.Rolling Eyes I ended up settling on SG Orbitron as that seemed to be the easiest on the eyes. Hope we can get some good action over there as well. Greg definitely needs more recognition for someone who's been around quite a while.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad that he finally put up a forum (I'm there), although the layout looks a little cluttered.....hopefully he can streamline it a bit more over time.

yeah, Extraction is a great album.....I think it's his most polished-sounding album to date, great tone!!

edit- you beat me to it Ed, again...lol
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
glad that he finally put up a forum (I'm there), although the layout looks a little cluttered.....hopefully he can streamline it a bit more over time.

yeah, Extraction is a great album.....I think it's his most polished-sounding album to date, great tone!!

edit- you beat me to it Ed, again...lol

I move fast and get things done. Mr. Green
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the administrator of the Greg Howe Lessons section of the Greg Howe site and I asked him why the forum is locked. I guess Greg isn't a fan of forums and isn't comfortable with a forum dedicated to him. Confused Oh, well... That's the news for those wondering why it's locked.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Greg Howe interview by Bumblefoot I found surfing about on the net:

http://www.guitaristheaven.com/inthowe_by_bumblefoot.htm

Some funny stuff. Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: