Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Tone
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Tone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Good Is Guthrie's Tone To Your Ears?
It's great! Can't really imagine it being any better.
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
It's pretty good, but there's still room for improvement.
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
It's not bad, but I think he needs to really work on it more.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
It's bad. He needs a new approach and new gear.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sterlingsilver wrote:
imo guthrie's sound is better with his erotic cakes stuff than with the fellowship. i'm not a huge fan of the chorus/schofield sound (just my opinion) i like a much drier sound for jazz type of stuff, but he always seems willing to try something else and it's always evolving very exciting to watch.

One of these days we'll hooke up Guthrie with a nice archtop jazz guitar. I know he really covets one. It'd be very interesting to see him play on one eventually.

Personally, on the EC stuff, I'd like to hear a little more low-mids and bigness in his overall sound. I'm talking about the live sound and not the camcorder DVD sound. I think it could be a little thicker without him losing articulation and the tracking he needs for his speed.

For the Fellowship stuff, I don't mind the chorused sound at all. To me, it isn't annoying like Scofield's sound. I do think it can be a little rounder with less top and a tad fatter in the low-mids as well. I really like the character of the high-mids in Guthrie's tone. It cuts through well without being grating on the ears at all.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was there all three nights he played and i thought he always sounded fantastic. the dvd doesn't sound bad but does not do his true live sound any justice. i agree with ed to a degree that the tone could be a tad bit thicker or bigger, but my thoughts are that he would lose some articulation if he added more low-mids and lows.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, i think his tone at the Bassment gigs has always been outstanding! I'vee seen him there dozens of times and his sound has always been really thick and cutting at the same time. I like the hint of chorus he uses on the 335, its great.

At the end of the day guys, you'll never sound perfect every gig, every room changes it. But overall i think he knows more than enough about amp settings for us not to worry about it! His technique will sort out any sound problems!
Alun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the tones on the Jan19 DVD. I think I prefer the Erotic Cakes sound overall, but the Fellowship tone is still pretty good ( this is based on the DVD, still haven't heard him live).

What made me drop my vote to 2 was the "my first Univibe" tone he uses for the WST melody on the Guitar Techniques track. The rest of the track sounds great but that tone just doesn't appeal to me at all. The bass sound on that track however is fantastic Very Happy

Alun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: