Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie On Bass
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie On Bass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Guthrie On Bass Reply with quote

Someone who went to NAMM told me that Guthrie was at the Cornford booth playing the bass and drew a crowd doing some amazing things on it. I haven't seen Guthrie play the bass yet. Have any of you guys seen him play the bass? I know that he did nothing play the bass for a couple of years, so I can't imagine him being anything less than amazing on it. Whose style would Guthrie's style be reminiscent of?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seem him play bass, but I'm sure he did play on a few of the Guitar Techniques backing tracks including some stuff on fretless Shocked

If he's anything like Seth, I'm scared Very Happy

Alun
chelmsford123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Guthrie playing bass on the two Paul Gilbert tracks in the GT July & August 2000 issues.
johahl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played bass on the asia tour, when they had their acoustic set. He was actually a very good bassplayer. Kinda kept in the backround playing a groove, you know like a bassplayer should Smile
shredfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't suprise me if Guthrie is awesome on bass.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does alot of 'fusiony' type of things on bass, as well as all the Slap styles too. He's really good. He spent two years doing it after learning all the guitar styles he knows so you'd expect him to be pretty good really!
hecanrock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of my classes with him at the Bath festival years ago (1998) a guy had a bass with him. Guthrie asked to see it and then plugged it in and started messing around with it. Then he shocked everyone because it seemed that he was equally incredible on the bass as he was on a guitar. He played some awesome slap which for someone who hadn't really seen slap being played live before made my jaw drop!
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie played bass on a trio gig that Zak and I did with him. He played the bass lines into the Boomerang and then picked up his guitar mid number. Sure, he's great bass player as well but I guess we would expect him to be. I sometimes think that you need to come at this from a different angle ... Guthrie's a great musician who happens to play the guitar. That's an over simplification of what he does for sure but great musicians will play great music on whatever instrument they choose. I haven't heard Guthrie play banjo yet but I'm sure he'll play great music on that as well. Those of you who saw Zak playing at the recent clinics 'Chez Ed's' probably didn't hear him play clarinet. If you get the chance, hear him play 'Mr PC' on clarinet! It's the same principle ... A great musician will produce great music through whatever medium they choose.
hecanrock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very true doctor Jazz,

I always think like that because often if you tell someone you're a guitarist then they stereotype you as being a certain type of musician straight away without having even heard you play. I play piano too and I get totally different things from it than guitar. What's great is because you think in different ways on different instruments, you find that you can think in new, interesting ways on other instruments eg. Thinking in a 'piano way' whilst playing guitar. It really changes the way you think about your instrument.

The main thing is, all instruments (in western music!) share the same 12 notes, so to say you're only a guitarist is a bit odd because surely if you understand music theory then you can apply that to any instrument. The tricky part is being able to physically play that instrument to a level where it doesn't hinder your musical ideas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: