Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Beyond Technique
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beyond Technique
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: To James Reply with quote

Hey, there,

James, man, really... are you capable of speaking of something else? I think this thread was called 'beyond technique', true, but then it developed into many other topics. I brought up one with my humble opinion on GG´s technique because someone before already had made comments on his technique. I did not agree with some of those comments on how GG´s technique is complete and perfect, and how he can just surpass anybody on any technique... and if he does not it´s just because "he does not want to". Well, I simply think GG, as any other guitar player has strong and weak points and is certainly not perfect. From my point of view, his right hand technique is one of his weaknesses. But again, this is a thread and it´s for discussion. Your interpretation on the topic does not necessarily have to be the same I have, but even if it was... So what if I bring something else? I brought the topic of technique, but also spoke about a lot of other things, like composition, improv, arranging and just sheer knowledge of the instrument. Why do you pick so much on the whole technique thing? It seems to me that it´s you the one that is obsessed about it.

Anyhow, I just can´t understand why some topics seem to be not good enough for you. This is a thread by guitarrists for guitarrists around a guitar player who is deeply rooted in virtuosism. Then, if technique is such a huge part of his playing (as many others have pointed out already) why is it such a bad thing to discuss it from an analytical point of view? Technique is supposed to serve music, but it´s different from it. Therefore, discussing about technique alone is as valid a discussion as any other... But now that I see you are the one that decides what can be discussed and what not, then I might as well just repeat your words, maybe then you are happier.

And as far as Shawn, just pick up his first video and look for the part where he shows how starting on a downstroke is something he can not do. Now, if that does not sound like a technical limitation to you, then please, don´t discuss with me, ok?

And the sound thing... what a weak concept. I have seen people with little to no technique create great music and others with tons of chops create something that sounds like shit. Therefore huge technique and good sound are not at all related, because one is straight physical ability and the other is a means of communication.

But then again, that may be too much for u, as your only capable of speaking about one thing. So yeah, please, just ignore this...

Cheers

John Petrucci
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes yeah...

Well done James "He started it" W and Shred "oh yeah?!, well..." Meister, you both seem to have a firm grasp of "shutting the f*ck up" Wink

Will, I went yesterday and the place was packed. We left early, I wasn't really in the right mood I don't think.

Dave K was there looking like Dan Ashcroft (From the Series Nathan Barley) but I resisted the temptation (never found the opportunity) to walk up to him and say "What's the word, Preacher man, peace and f*cking dude, keep doing that mad shit, yeah?!" which is probably as well as he may never have seen it so not understood the referene, perhaps not a bad thing.

The music was good. Best bit I heard from Guthrie was a solo where out of a mass of shred came the Blue Peter theme, I guess the difference between Zak and Guthrie playing quick is that Zak is playing notes on one continuous breath like a stream and Guthrie is playing notes that bubble out a bit like a kettle boiling. Whether it's the contents of this thread or just that I've never been wowed by it, I preferred the more Carlton-esque melodic moments, Guthrie has a good tone for those bits.

There appears to be a new tune in the set list that sounds like it was penned by Mr Bungle, a lot of the tunes have been reorchestrated and Seth wasn't playing his usual Warwick bass, but he sounded pretty cool.

I have the power!
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Well said, Frankus Reply with quote

You are right, man. Apologies to the members in the forum. I guess this got a bit out of hand.

Cheers

John Petrucci
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: