Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Greg Howe DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greg Howe DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Greg Howe DVD Reply with quote

Any seen that DVD with Greg on it? It just arrived, its really cool.

Any comments and opinions?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the DVD myself and I'm watching/listening to it as I type this. Its' on the interview section now. Great stuff. I can't say that I'm crazy about all the tunes, but it's really good, challenging music. My only caveat here is Greg's tone, which is not as thick and juicy as I remember from his CDs. It still sounds like Greg as his personal style and the tone he gets from his fingers is unmistakable, but perhaps it's the borrowed Marshall half-stack, but the tone's a little thin and somewhat processed and fizzy sounding. He still sounds good, though.

The playing of Dennis Chambers, bassist Tetsuo Sakurai, and keyboardist Akira Onozuka is great all around. Dennis, as we all know, is a certified monster. Sakurai is an amazing bassist himself with a nice melodic sense and monster pop-and-slap chops (esp. on "Brain Storm") and Onozuka fills in nicely with tasty comping and solos as well on the keyboards. Really good high-energy fusion music and is definitely a must-have for Greg Howe fans. On a side note, I noticed that Greg's also got the hair band right in front of the nut of his guitar to help mute the strings.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me how to get ahold of this DVD. I am very anxious to see Greg play!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Please tell me how to get ahold of this DVD. I am very anxious to see Greg play!!

Not paying attention to the other Greg Howe thread there? Wink

Here you go:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(mint,one_line)/detailview.html?KEY=VIBJ-7

Not cheap, but it's a very high-quality pro video/audio shoot with great close-ups of Greg's hands in action.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops Embarassed I didn't see that when I read through the other thread Smile
Thanks for the link Ed
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the DVD.......everyone's perfomance is totally amazing. Greg's playing is phenomenal as usual....but I do agree about his tone. It seems that in some places he has trouble having the amp react the way he wants it (maybe it could be the amp...or maybe it's because he's using a hairband...I cant tell). Greg's all over the place here and although he runs dangerously sounding the same in most of the tunes, his perfomance will blow you away. Tons of new inspiration here for sure.

I really dug Tetsuo's bass playing.......he and Dennis make a good a pair Smile

It's an expensive DVD but well worth the money. For all Greg Howe fans, this purchase is a no-brainer.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, although Greg is an amazing player, i think the action on his guitar maybe a touch too low? It sounds as if its cutting out when he goes for the sustained bends, he then quickly goes for whammy abuse to bring the note back in.

Or it could just be me talking pants again! Great band though. Its quite funny that Dennis and Greg dont seem to have a clue whats going on when they arrive! They obviously dont speak Japanese! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I just got the DVD.......everyone's perfomance is totally amazing. Greg's playing is phenomenal as usual....but I do agree about his tone. It seems that in some places he has trouble having the amp react the way he wants it (maybe it could be the amp...or maybe it's because he's using a hairband...I cant tell). Greg's all over the place here and although he runs dangerously sounding the same in most of the tunes, his perfomance will blow you away. Tons of new inspiration here for sure.

I really dug Tetsuo's bass playing.......he and Dennis make a good a pair Smile

It's an expensive DVD but well worth the money. For all Greg Howe fans, this purchase is a no-brainer.

I think some of it has to do with the mix. The guitar is not as upfront as I'd like it to be. He's also "fighting" the keyboard player in terms of filling up those critical midrange frequencies and I think that's why the guitar is brighter with more treble than we're normally used to hearing Greg. Tatsuo is also playing high up a lot with the 6-string with a rather trebly sound overall, so it seems Greg's sound had to be pushed up to fill more of the treble side. I think there's also a lot more gain on the amp than it needs to be. The tapped arpeggios and things like that weren't coming through as articulate as we're used to hearing, but the stuff is amazing nonetheless. Yup, definitely a must-have for all Greg Howe fans.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I see.....and yes, still amazing stuff

I'm also digging his vibrato......very unique and it looks pretty damn cool. I wanna learn that! Razz
shredfusion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I'm also digging his vibrato......very unique and it looks pretty damn cool. I wanna learn that! Razz

Yes! I love that sound. Im trying to incorporate that into my playing as well. Its sounds great if you execute it properly. I think it works well at the end of phrases.

This is a totally excellent dvd. Greg just kills, and everything was improvised, crazy! Tetsuo is a badass bassist and as we all know Dennis is a freaking monster on the drums.

Greg plays "A Delicacy" on his electric and its awesome. Great carmera angles and close ups but they could be better, like in every concert. Greg is now playing some hybrid picking licks, he gets some incomprehensible sounds with them. It is also very cool to see Greg's "hammer-on from nowhere" technique on video.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Guthrie a copy of the Greg DVD as well as the new Brett Garsed DVD. Gotta make sure Guthrie absorbs all this great stuff and stays on the edge and keeps pushing himself. Wink Guthrie is going to really enjoy and learn a lot from both DVDs.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I sent Guthrie a copy of the Greg DVD as well as the new Brett Garsed DVD. Gotta make sure Guthrie absorbs all this great stuff and stays on the edge and keeps pushing himself. Wink Guthrie is going to really enjoy and learn a lot from both DVDs.

Make sure to ask Guthrie what he thinks about both dvds. I'm curious what he thinks about Greg. Smile

oh and how is the Garsed dvd?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredfusion wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Make sure to ask Guthrie what he thinks about both dvds. I'm curious what he thinks about Greg. Smile

oh and how is the Garsed dvd?

Guthrie is a huge Greg fan. I really think Guthrie flipped out a bit on Jan 20 when he met Greg just before the gig. It was quite an experience to introduce the two as they met for the first time. Greg was smiling broadly and said to Guthrie: "So nice to meet you! I've heard so much about you." And Guthrie replied, "I'm a big fan of yours!" Guthrie was totally star-struck and I think it affected him through the first set knowing one of his heroes was watching him. How would you feel if one of your favorite players and heroes was watching your gig? Shocked

Guthrie will love the Greg DVD. There is a lot of information there to absorb and assimilate. I don't believe that Guthrie can pull off a lot of the things that Greg does. Greg has his own thing that's entirely his and no one on Earth can come close to pulling off what Greg does. But then, Guthrie's got his own thing and his own strengths that are entirely his. That's why I'd love to see Greg and Guthrie do something together in the future. They have very complementary styles.

As for the Brett DVD, it's really cool. Brett's another guy who's got his own thing happening. His pick-and-fingers right-hand approach is just so insane. He has it down to a science. It's absolutely amazing how fluid he sounds although he's virtually picking every note. Guthrie is very well aware of Brett as well and I'm quite sure he incorporates what he learned from Brett. It's quite evident.

One of these days, I will have all three up on the TM stage (although it'd be a little crowded with all three up there) and make it a triple bill night.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty much right by saying no one on earth can do what Greg does. But I do think there is one guy who is almost at Gregs level. Have you heard Alessandro Benvenuti? His style is similar to Gregs but he still does his own thing. And his songs are fantastic.

Are the Garsed lessons good? Could it help me even though I dont play strictly hybrid picking?

My brain might explode if I see Govan, Howe, and Garsed on stage together. You might have to find another place to host concerts, a room with a bigger stage and a much larger capacity.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ed,

Does Greg have any Guthrie videos?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: