Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Wonderful Slippery Thing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonderful Slippery Thing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Wonderful Slippery Thing Reply with quote

I just bought the April edition of Guitar Techniques. Has anyone else got it yet and had a go at the transcription?

I can't bring myself to have a go yet (been to the pub all afternoon) I bought Medal Of Honour for the PS2, so i'll probably have more satisfaction shooting a bunch of people....

lol, just listening to the backing track. The gap where the "monster lick" takes place is interesting.... might get hold of one of those 'slow down' programs!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to locate this issue over here soon. Exclamation
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone upload the backingf track....i can't find this issue anywhere in my neighborhood
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
can someone upload the backingf track....i can't find this issue anywhere in my neighborhood

I'm going to find this issue and I'll get it over to you somehow. My understanding is that GT magazine owns the contents of all this stuff for 6 months from publication date, so uploading it for download would be technically illegal.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh cool! thanks Ed! I'll be glad to pay you back for all the trouble. Very Happy
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't find it either around where i am. please put me on "the list". thanks!
James W

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the big mystery is: what in God's name is an F# altered chord?

... Love James XXX
Alun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James W wrote:
Of course the big mystery is: what in God's name is an F# altered chord?

... Love James XXX

Ah hah! I can't play the transcription but at least I can help with this bit Very Happy

An altered chord is, in it's most literal sense, a dominant seventh chord with the b9, #9, b5 and #5 included.So for example a complete F#7alt, or F#alt, would consist of :

F# G A A# C D E
R b9 #9 3 b5 #5 b7

The alt chord is used a lot in jazz and fusion when a dominant chord is resolving to the root chord eg in WST, it's an F# resolving to Bm.

On guitar, it's not possible to play the complete voicing, but the chord name advises the player of the overall tonality.

There are many different ways of approaching playing over it but my two favourites are:

The F# altered scale - F# G A Bb C D E ( same notes as G melodic minor, but starting on the F#)

A minor pentatonic - A C D E G ( playing a minor pentatonic a minor third above the root gives you the #9, b5, #5, b7 and b9)

Hope that helps,
Alun
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for an altered chord.....just play a melodic minor scale a half-step up (well I know it's the same thing as the altered scale...but it's easier for me that way Laughing)
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun wrote:
The F# altered scale - F# G A Bb C D E ( same notes as G melodic minor, but starting on the F#)

Isn't that the Super locrian mode? bascially in terms of the major scale it's the major scale played with everything else flatted Laughing

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Alun wrote:

Isn't that the Super locrian mode?

Yeah, same scale different name. I've also seen it referred to as the "diminished whole tone" because the first three notes are the same as a diminished half/whole scale and then it becomes whole tone.

I like the idea of thinking it as a major with everything flattened too ( so you could use all your F major licks but change the Fs to F#s).

Cheers,
Alun
Will

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think in the transcription Guthrie says "why not throw in some super locrian"....

I had a look at it yesterday, some interesting stuff there to be learnt! I never really buy guitar techniques because of its price but i'm impressed.
James W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So an F# altered chord is the same as an F# altered scale? That's just plain silly!

... Love James XXX
sparkymark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, kind of. What an Fsharp altered chord would tell you to do, is take an Fsharp dominant 7 chord and then add some sort of alteration. Be it a flat 5, sharp 5, Flat 9, Sharp 9 etc He's not being specific just letting us know he wants some more tension added to the chord and I suspect if you listen to the backing, Guthrie will be mixing up which alterations he uses to keep it interesting.

The altered scale, or superlocrian is derived from the minor melodic mode and its basically ALL the alterations so it works well. I remember in a clinic with Dave Kilminster (probably the second most looked up to guitarist in britain after Guthrie, very very scary and also writes for guitar techniques) someone asked him about the superlocrian for those purposes and he said, well you could use that but I'd just use a diminished half/whole scale. Which for somereason I have ALOT of difficulty making it sound musical! Gimme the superlocrian anyday!

By the way, has anyone got anywhere with the transcription? Been working on it pretty much solid since it came out now, its a bit of a monster although its coming together. Its just making it groove anywhere near to the standard that Guthrie does thats the problem!

Mark
Will

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just make sure i have the main melody down (the slide/bend part) and the bluesy riff after it. Then improvise over the rest.

I found bar 30 interesting (as a guitar teacher)

Theres two groups of 6 notes (which stand out thanks to Pete Rileys limbs) that are played as 5 notes on the G string, 3 on the D, 2 on the A and 2 on the E. I'm willing to bet theres a loads of guitar players out there that wish they hadnt covered 3 note per string scales too extensively!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: