Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Wonderful Slippery Thing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonderful Slippery Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James W

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I've decided to play F# altered:

E-----3
B-----3
G-----3
D-----2
A-----X
E-----2

... the infamous J XXX
raf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

what do you think of the 2004 Wet Slippery Thing compared to the 1993 version?

If no one has the original, email me and I will send it to you.
Dead Walker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Carlo wrote:
can someone upload the backingf track....i can't find this issue anywhere in my neighborhood

I'm going to find this issue and I'll get it over to you somehow. My understanding is that GT magazine owns the contents of all this stuff for 6 months from publication date, so uploading it for download would be technically illegal.

ed you will be able to find this guitar techniques issue on barnes & noble books store,we are one month behind here in the u.s.a for the guitar techniques magazine issues.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to B&N today and got the March issue which has 50 speed licks by Guthrie. The April issue with the WST transcription still isn't in. I reckon it'll be available in a few weeks here.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Dead Walker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The April issue will be available in a few weeks in B&N Book Store.
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ed, i accidentally stumbled upon the issue yesterday at a Virgin Megastore. I didn't even know they carried it, so it was a nice surprise. They only had one issue and some pages were ripped...but luckily the CD was still intact, so I bought it anyway.

Ironically, I initially went there to look for an X-Box game, which they didn't have Mad
Dead Walker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to download the guthrie lesson go to this web site>>>>>>>>>>>>

Link removed by moderator
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Walker wrote:
to download the guthrie lesson go to this web site>>>>>>>>>>>>

Link removed by moderator

Sorry, but scanned and uploaded files for distribution is illegal and we can't have Guthrie's own forum linking to something like that. The files are GT's property for six months after publication. Thanks for your understanding.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
johngregson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all - this is a nice topical thread for me, as I'm playing (foolishly) WST for a Recital at the start of May...it's not quite as scary as I once thought - it's much harder to make it look as easy as Guthrie, though. Above all, it's a great track to play along to!
I'm really putting off time before I have to go back to practicing bar 34...
I hope I make it out alive.Wish me luck!
Best,
John.
Pablo Garcia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raf wrote:
Guys

what do you think of the 2004 Wet Slippery Thing compared to the 1993 version?

If no one has the original, email me and I will send it to you.

First of all Thanks Raf.

I think the 1993 version it´s a little more rock oriented than the Dvd´s version in my opinion. But like all Guthrie Stuff it´s great.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,
OK, been working with WST for awhile and have an observation or two. There's really only a few parts of this tune that hang me up completely (intro, the dreaded bar 34 and the the last bar). The rest of it is extraordinarily cool due to Guthrie's phrasing and note choice, but not intimidatingly technical.

Now when I work on these things, I'm pretty dogged about it till I get it right, so I'll keep on it. But this is actually a great tune to just jam on: with the interesting dynamics, nice changes, and multiple style changes, it makes a great tune for adventurous improv. Guthrie gives a few suggestions for modes that fit well. I've found that bar 34 and bars 78-79 lend themselves nicely to some argeggio sweeps (Bm7 and D) until the real lick comes together. (I don't think Guthrie would be too disappointed in me for that!). Those moves are so completely unlike anything else I've tried to do, that it'll take awhile.

So I'm having lots of fun with this tune and would encourage everybody to explore it, even if you're not intending to nail all of Guthrie's stellar chops.

Onward,
Bert
Delicato

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some serious problems with the intro. Not even close to making it sound like anything at all.
The notorious lick in bar 34 isn't really giving me a hard time, exept for the first note on the D string.
It "vanishes" 50% of the time. Also, I think that lick is easier than the outro lick somehow.
I know it shouldn't be, but it is. It is the almost the same as a string skipping arpeggio
from Paul Gilbert's Intense rock 1 that used to be my bible once. So it shouldn't cause me
any problems, but it does.

Other than that, the hardest thing will probably be to get it to sound as natural and wonderfully
slippery as Guthrie makes it.

I was expecting the "old" version of WST when I bought the mag, so I was kind of surprised at first.
Though I like the 1:st version more, I think, I really dig this one as well.

/Oskar
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I prefer the more recent version (the one that's used on the lesson and on the EP) over the rockier original - maybe it's the tones and the feel, but the second version just seems cooler and less frantic. (But the first version still kicks butt!)

I'm not even going to bother with getting hung up too much on the intro/bar 34/outro. What I've most enjoyed out of the GT lesson is actually seeing the way that Guth handles his phrsing. Like Stratoskier says, it may not be on a par technically with bar 34, but the note choices and space just seem so right, that each refrain of 16 bars is a study in itself. Cool

I'm not the most technically proficient player around , but I personally think that focusing entirely on bar 34 and missing out on all the other components that make this song so cool is like eating a cherry, and leaving the ice-cream. Very Happy
M@

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Guthrie!!! I can't get the WST melody out of my head!!!

I think that's the main thing with Guthrie - his playing is "melodic". I'm sure he has really focused on learning how to construct melody (either subconsciously from listening to melodic music and/or formally through education).

Cheers
stratoskier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I want to learn that lick because I like what Guthrie said about using 4-note per string arpeggios for building ultra-smooth legato lines. Very useful idea. But I don't think the whole tune hinges on it. Lots to take in otherwise as well.

If I ever play WST live, I'm going to be sure I have a "bail out" for bar 34 -- something to substitute if it's coming up and I get the jitters. Sort of like watching the figure skating in the Olympics -- "Now let's watch this carefully, we're getting to his crux move. So far it's been a very clean performance. Here we go! He's speeding up... Oh-oh! -- that was supposed to be a triple axel, but he singled it" "No actually Tom, I think he just fell on his ass" "Yeah, well that too!"

Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: