Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Tony MacAlpine
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tony MacAlpine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Tony MacAlpine Reply with quote

Any MacAlpine fans here? I was a big MacAlpine fan during the heydays of shred when his albums Edge of Insanity and Maximum Security seemed to promise even brighter days ahead. To this day, those two albums remain the benchmarks of neo-classical as far as I'm concerned. And sadly, Tony himself couldn't take the concept any further. With subsequent albums from the likes of Vinnie Moore, Joey Tafolla, Cacophony, Michael Chastain, Michael Fath, etc., I had had enough.

I've always stayed on top of what MacAlpine was doing, but his forays into more mainstream kind of playing (as well as Vinnie Moore's) weren't really happening. It was as if he couldn't really find an identity of his own. I got the CAB albums and they're cool with loads of virtuosity (Bunny Brunel on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums), but I didn't think Tony's playing really fit the context too well. To me, it's still Tony's neo-classical albums that define his sound and style - which is somewhat unfortunate...

I was just over at Amazon to see if I should give Planet X (with Derek Sherinian on keys and Virgil Donati on drums) a try. The clips sound pretty interesting although that kind of style just isn't my thing - you know, being complex and technical for the sake of being complex and technical. I was over at the MacAlpine forum and they're all saying I need to get all of the Planet X albums, but I'm not quite sure yet. Anybody here into Planet X?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really familiar with T-Mac's work....just one of those guys I never got around to...for no particular reason I guess. But, yeah, I'd also be interested in any thoughts and comments regarding his Planet X stuff.

I also want to know if anyone could recommend that Ring of Fire DVD.
Alun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few Planet X CDs and they are can be a bit hard going. Incredible playing without question but I sometimes find mysel wishing they'd calm down for 30 seconds. Probably the most accessible album is "Moonbabies" which has some nice writing as well as the technical onslaught.

I've seen Tony live with Vai a couple of times and,as much as I like Vai's playing, MacAlpine has blown him off the stage in terms of playing interesting solos (if you ever see the Vai "Live At The Astoria" DVD, watch Tony's solo in "Deep Down Into The Pain", it's unbelievable Shocked ).

Cheers,
Alun
Mirth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree, about the Vai dvd. I've always like Tony, but I think he looks like a chump next to Vai on that video.

I don't mean that in a bad way so much as a boost to how well Vai controls the guitar. I just feel like Tony is way out of his league in that video. I miss having Keneally in that band, I think he was a much better match for Vai.

Anyways, that's just how I feel.

Tim

Also, I'm not so sure many guitarist would look very good next to Vai. (Though Guthrie would sure do well) The best time I ever saw Vai was at a clinic thing he did in NYC where Sharon Isbin, Carlos Alomar and some other studio guy were there. And Vai was just improvising all these beautifully melodies over what these other people were making up. He actually made the jazz guy on the far end look silly for thinking he could improvise. I could see pain in all there faces when looking at Vai, even Sharon Isbin, who kept gaping her mouth open watching the guy.

I realize as far as straight jazz improv, I don't you'd ever hear Vai do a bebop solo, but I think he would truly improvise and come up with some epic melodic musical passage, probally not truly defined by any style.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that clinic at the Bottomline (I sat right next to that really loud and annoying heckler....u know who I'm talkin' about Wink ). To me, Vai didn't anying that special...but I was totally in awe of Sharon Isbin.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first CAB album and I really like it, but Tonys playing does seem a little out of context. Maybe I should buy one of his shred albums! Smile
shredrulez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredfusion wrote:
I have the first CAB album and I really like it, but Tonys playing does seem a little out of context. Maybe I should buy one of his shred albums! Smile

get maximum security. just an awesome shred album but quite musical as well.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
shredfusion wrote:

get maximum security. just an awesome shred album but quite musical as well.

Will do, thanks for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: