Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Jeff Beck
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeff Beck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Jeff Beck Reply with quote

Picked up a couple of bootleg DVD's of Jeff Beck concerts at the Guitar Show. I did see him play at Phoenix back in early-2001 and that was awesome, but the seats weren't all that good and I didn't really get a good viewpoint of him playing. The first one is a Who Else Live video shot in Japan in 1999. It's just mind-boggling. You see this video and you see why Steve Lukather calls Jeff Beck, "God's Guitar Player".

It's easy to understand why players ranging from Vai, Satriani, Shawn Lane, Erci Johnson, and Buckethead to Clapton, Gilmour, Gary Moore, Pat Travers and Joe Perry to Scott Henderson, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, and John Scofield all sing the praises of Jeff Beck. Beck can be considered the ultimate electric guitarist, capable of making the instrument sing, cry, scream, and "talk" like no one else can. The range of expressions he can get just from his hands, guitar, and amp is beyond belief (no pedals whatsoever, just echo added from the board depending on the tune).

Track down this video somewhere if you can and especially if you've never seen him live. What makes Beck so special? It's the endless flow of ideas that comes from his head and his amazing touch and sensitivity. The dynamics, the vibrato that delves into microtonal phrasing, and all the chops necessary to let all those ideas and inspiration flow just effortlessly. When Jimi died, a part of his spirit must have went into Jeff Beck because Beck never rested on his own laurels. He kept pushing the boundaries and is now simply the guitarist that all the other great guitarists look up to. Jeff Beck really is God's gift to the guitar world. Beck's music and sheer creative brilliance will leave you in reverent awe.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed, what albums of his do you recommend? i have no idea on where to start. Confused
thing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with Blow by Blow and There And Beck to get a feel of Jeff in the 70's. Without breaking your bank I would say 2 more essentials are Guitar Shop and Who Else! just to see how diverse the guy is. Him and Metheny are probably my 2 favourite guitarists, Pat for the cerebral melting and Jeff because he still stays this side of raw, what electric guitar is all about IMO. We have a forum over here where we set ourselves monthly recording tasks, I had a go at a Jeff tribute one month where I tried to capture as many of his nuances as I could. (Impossible I know) If you want a listen, click here
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Beck plays the guitar like a true extension of his mind, body and soul. The different sounds he can coax out of the guitar are simply amazing.

and compared to Page and Clapton, Beck still looks like a rockstar Cool
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure can't go wrong with Blow By Blow. That one has a timeless feel and vibe to it from start to finish. Still doesn't sound dated and Beck's feel and phrasing on this album is still studied and revered by many guitarists, including myself, today. Wired has some great playing on it, too, but I don't really care for Jan Hammer's cheesy Moog sounds on it. That album does sound dated here and there, but "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is worth the price of the album alone.

Guitar Shop is a good album and "Where Were You" also makes the album a must-have. There And Back has its moments but that's always been the problem with a lot of the Beck albums - they're not very consistent in terms of the material and the writing. I think that's really the only thing I have to quibble with Beck's output but it's a big point. For instance, the album Flash from the mid-80's is bad... I mean, that album really sucks, but the outro solo of that dumb opening song "Ambitious" is astounding. Jeff seems to be telling EVH and all the other young hot shots coming up of the day: "Hey, I can do everything you guys are doing and then some!" Laughing "People Get Ready" is an indispensable track as well.

Of the recent electronica-oriented stuff, they are also sprinkled with gems but there are tracks that just make you scratch your head as well. Some tracks are downright annoying, but the otherworldly playing on others more than make up for them. The concept of marrying heavy distorted burning guitars with pulsing ice cold electronica is really cool, but no one has really nailed it. Buckethead has had his moments, but again, the materials have been weak. Satch tried it with Engines of Creation with very mixed results, and ditto for Beck's recent trilogy. Here's hoping that Guthrie, who also digs electronica, will someday find the right formula!

But getting back to Beck, his catalogue really isn't that vast - certainly nothing like Metheny's. Starting out with his box set may be good way to go as well, although I'm puzzled by the selections (and the omissions) in it. Start out with BBB and go from there.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
J

Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Carlo wrote:
J

Laughing

Uhm, just what the heck are you guys talking about Wink

alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
Carlo wrote:
J

Laughing

Uhm, just what the heck are you guys talking about Wink

Hey, Jimmy looks quite dapper there! Wink

But, you know, that's quite appropriate. I've always considered Jimmy Page as more of a supreme songwriter/producer/orchestrator and all-around visisionary for Led Zep than a great guitar player.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Wired" and "Blow by Blow."

How many guys can play "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by ear like Beck. Give me a break!

And "Cause We Ended as Lovers" is as good as it gets!

Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't George Martin lend his insight on Blow By Blow? It's a tops album. Scatterbrain and Air Blower are seriously amazing pieces of music, but well orchestrated.

"Where We You?" is one of the few songs, I like to lay down to listen to, the other is "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship" by Rimsky Korsakov.

Beck's version of "Very Superstitious" is cool to.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Didn't George Martin lend his insight on Blow By Blow? It's a tops album. Scatterbrain and Air Blower are seriously amazing pieces of music, but well orchestrated.

"Where We You?" is one of the few songs, I like to lay down to listen to, the other is "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship" by Rimsky Korsakov.

Beck's version of "Very Superstitious" is cool to.

George Martin produced the Blow By Blow album, so it was more than just lending his insight.

There is this George Martin album called "My Life", I believe, and JB contributes his magnificent playing on the Beatles classic, "A Day in the Life". Have you heard that or seen him play it live.

When I saw JB live in Phoenix back in early-'03, him performing that track was the highlight. Really amazing... This bootleg DVD "Who Else! - Live in Japan, '99" also features that song and it's pretty spectacular.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: