Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Positive Effect on Players/People
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Positive Effect on Players/People

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Guthrie's Positive Effect on Players/People Reply with quote

Well, I've been observing a lot of the local guys who witnessed the Guthrie clinics/shows and it's a really cool thing to observe noticeable changes in them for the better - both as players and as people. I've been profoundly affected as well, but it's a cool thing to see how others are inspired to be their best after having seen what Guthrie does.

A good case in point is a local guy who is a killer player: great chops, good theoretical background, well-rounded, good sense of time, etc. But he had bit of an attitude and wasn't well-liked by other customers here because of his cockiness and condescending nature. Then, he saw Guthrie last year at the clinic. He walked away from that clinic practically devastated. It was plainly evident on his face: "Man, and I thought I was good..."

But the guy took it all in in a very positive way. He was inspired by not only Guthrie's talent and skills, but by his super humble nature and down-to-earth character. As time went by, I noticed a change in the guy. He became a lot more friendly with less of an attitude. His playing certainly improved - less mechanical and more creative. But what was more impressive was that he suddenly transformed into a very nice guy who talked to others at the shop as an equal and with respect. It is definitely the most impressive example of the type of effect Guthrie has on people.

Of course, as I mentioned in some other threads, there's the other side of the coin (although very rare) who'll just take things in in a negative way because they tend to view music and playing as some sort of a sport or a contest and they become too aware of their shortcomings. But all in all, more people have told me that they've been totally inspired by Guthrie than anything else - forcing them to look internally about what they can do to improve as a musician and a player, whether they're pros or just hobbyists. Forget the chops, it's about playing every note like it really matters, playing with sensitivity, playing with passion, playing with authority, etc.

But beyond playing and musicianship, it's Guthrie's humble nature and him being such a genuinely nice guy that seems to double the impact that he has on people. People are so struck by that and I really think it makes them look at life with a different perspective. We compete so hard in life to get ahead and it's as though we can't get ahead without elbowing someone else away to get where we need to go, but there's no real need to do that. And guitarists very often tend to have this six-shooter mentality that's plain annoying to observe. Guthrie absolutely annihilates that image of the cocky virtuoso who talks crap about others to make himself look better or just have an attitude that people can't stand. Just play the guitar and be nice when you aren't playing. Then everybody is happy. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt, ed. guthrie inspires me to no end. what a nice world would it be if only 10% of the guitar players had guthrie's attitude and humble nature.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah, I want my money back.. I've been watching Guthrie for nearly 2 years now.. and my attitude is still diabolical, he's not reinvigorated my enjoyment of the guitar or got me thinking of Jazz Funk lines or influenced my taste in listening music, or opened my ears to the unholy coupling of a mooger fooger and whammy pedal.

I have the power!
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I first heard Guthrie, my therapy sessions doubled to deal with my depression
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Ever since I first heard Guthrie, my therapy sessions doubled to deal with my depression

Heh... I was just glad to learn he's only a few years younger than I am. If he was just 22 years old I really would have been depressed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Pah, I want my money back.. I've been watching Guthrie for nearly 2 years now.. and my attitude is still diabolical, he's not reinvigorated my enjoyment of the guitar or got me thinking of Jazz Funk lines or influenced my taste in listening music, or opened my ears to the unholy coupling of a mooger fooger and whammy pedal.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
hecanrock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie has had a great influence on my playing. I first met him when I had been playing guitar for only a year, aged 16. I went to a class he was teaching and was blown away. I had never in my life seen anyone so at ease with anything (not just an instrument). After that every teacher I have had has paled in comparsion. His enthusiasm for music and not just guitars is infectious. I remember I was pretty much into just guitar music when I was in my teens. I'd dismiss a lot of music (because I didn't really understand music in a theoretical way then) Guthrie was going on about how much he loved Bjork. This really surprised me and made me question how I listened to music.

On the same note, look at someone like Jeff Beck or Miles Davis who always embraced new technology or forms of music. This is never just 'following a trend' but exploring new and exciting music. The best musicians aren't bitter and jaded but can appreciate everything.

I don't get depressed by how good Guthrie is as a musician. He is immensly talented but also someone once told me that he has been playing since he was 3! Which means he's had over 25 years of playing experience. Compared to my 6 years I have no reason to feel bad. Plus even if I had been playing for 25 years I still wouldn't expect to be as good anyway!
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:

LOL!
WhereAmI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie's the only other guitar player that I can listen to all day long besides Greg Howe. They both can mimic other players but other players can't mimic them. I think they are in a league of their own. They both got that good by being humble. They probably give every musician a chance. After all, if there was no Holdsworth, Beck, Coryell, Stern, Hendrix, SRV, Zappa, Coltrane, Chick Corea, ect... they would'nt be the players they are today. Hearing new players is one of the joy's of listening to music. However, I've been listening to GG and Greg Howe nonstop because I can't disect what they are doing and that's facinating to hear.
M@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
A good case in point is a local guy who is a killer player: great chops, good theoretical background, well-rounded, good sense of time, etc. But he had bit of an attitude and wasn't well-liked by other customers here because of his cockiness and condescending nature. Then, he saw Guthrie last year at the clinic. He walked away from that clinic practically devastated. It was plainly evident on his face: "Man, and I thought I was good..."

But the guy took it all in in a very positive way. He was inspired by not only Guthrie's talent and skills, but by his super humble nature and down-to-earth character. As time went by, I noticed a change in the guy. He became a lot more friendly with less of an attitude. His playing certainly improved - less mechanical and more creative. But what was more impressive was that he suddenly transformed into a very nice guy who talked to others at the shop as an equal and with respect. It is definitely the most impressive example of the type of effect Guthrie has on people.

That's an interesting story...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: