Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Dunlop Jazz 3 picks
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dunlop Jazz 3 picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Are you guys talking about Tomo Fujita from Berklee Music? He's a great player!

Cheers

Yup, that's the guy! Excellent player indeed Cool
Discarded-Days

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a selection of all four types of Dunlop Jazz III plectrums. I prefer the XL red which improves my accuracy, tone and comfort by an incredible amount compared to the 1 mm Dunlop standards I've been using for a couple of years. These are fantastic plectrums, its no wonder Guthrie uses them himself.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the red jazz 3's for a few years until I tried the new Ultex jazz 3's. I haven't looked back since then. My boss had been using Jazz 3's since the 70's and switched almost immediately to the ultex when we got them in stock.
antonis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie uses these

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-24-DUNLOP-JAZZ-III-3-Sharp-Point-RED-Guitar-Picks_W0QQitemZ220209299889QQihZ012QQcategoryZ85854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

right?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonis wrote:
Guthrie uses these

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-24-DUNLOP-JAZZ-III-3-Sharp-Point-RED-Guitar-Picks_W0QQitemZ220209299889QQihZ012QQcategoryZ85854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

right?

Guthrie uses these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Jazz-III-Nylon-Sharp-Stiffo-Picks?sku=110025

He was using the red ones for the longest time and he's been seen using the black ones lately.

Speaking of Jazz III, has anybody tried the Eric Johnson Signature picks that are essentially the old Jazz III's with the different material? I'm going to try these out. Those old Jazz III's were my faves for the longest time before Dunlop changed the material and it just didn't feel or sound the same.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Guthrie uses these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Jazz-III-Nylon-Sharp-Stiffo-Picks?sku=110025

He was using the red ones for the longest time and he's been seen using the black ones lately.

i used the same when i was young. since then, i've evolved. guthrie should do the same. those things are small and silly. thank god he's using the black ones at least. Wink

seriously, they're pretty good for accurate single note playing, but i can't say they sound that great, and they're a bitch to use for fast funky strumming. (well, i must admit they really don't seem to give gg too much of a handicap.)

a bigger, fendery shaped, pick is more versatile imho, since u can flip it and use the round edge as well (and still have enough pick to grip), like henderson and landau.

i swear by my pyramid (the string manufacturer) heavys. harder material than lets say fender, so their heavys are thinner, and makes for a sharper, but fuller tone. but they're pretty stiff, and plays fast as well. and they look gorgeous (important). hard to find and expensive though.

to be honest though: if i was playing in a dream theatre cover band (what a horrible thought!) i'd probably use dunlop ultex (regular sized).

alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what I meant to link was this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Jazz-III-XL-Stiffo-Guitar-Picks-6Pack?sku=111006

It's the fairly larger XL, not the regular Jazz III. It didn't really work for me either but it works for Guthrie.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
adrianclark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Actually, what I meant to link was this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Jazz-III-XL-Stiffo-Guitar-Picks-6Pack?sku=111006

Ah, that's what I use, although mine are the red ones. I used the regular Jazz III for about 10 years, but then realised I was starting to get hand-cramps... the shortness of the pick was making me hold my hand closer to the strings, making it tense. After a being dissatisfied with a number of standard 'teardrop' picks for a while, I found the XLs a few years ago, and now I'm happy Smile

adrian
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started using the black stiffo Jazz III XLs and my accuracy and speed is much cleaner and faster. I've been using the Fender Xtra Heavys and Ultex 1.14s and've always hit a brickwall when it comes to string skipping and playing clean tremolos. I just ordered the red XLs and after Alex mentioning a change in the material, I'm gonna order the Eric Johnson ones here pretty soon. I can't wait to compare the tonal differences I keep reading about here...the Ultexs as Guthrie's already mentioned are 'glassy'. The black stiffo's are fairly neutral and feel like they'll never wear out. I still can't believe how much better my playing has become in just switching to these picks (!)

Davies Alder N4 Washburn w/ Aldrich Bridge pup
Hughes & Kettner Tour Reverb combo
GuitarBizarre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on the standard Jazz picks is, to be blunt, I hate them. The reds are slippy and fall out of my hands, the blacks feel like cardboard.

I had written off Jazz IIIs for years and was using a dunlop delrin 1.14, with a while heap of holes burned through for a grip, using a paperclip on a hob.

Then on a whim I bought some Ultex Jazz IIIs and I have not looked back. Normally I hate the ultex material (Bought some regular ones at the same time), but for some reason the same 'clicky clacky shock transmitting material' quality that makes the bigger picks horrible, makes the jazz II1 ultex absolutely fantastic, both tonewise and comfort wise.
"In my upwards of 50 years of concert giving, it has seldom been my fortune to find the program correctly printed. Tonight is no exception, and with your kind permission, we will now play you the piece you think you have just heard." - Thomas Beecham.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: