Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - "Sheets Of Sound" by Jack Zucker
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Sheets Of Sound" by Jack Zucker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I will start offering this book at the shop. Just worked that out with Zack. This is really serious stuff that gets your creative juices going. We all know how easy it is for us to get stuck or trapped in those dreaded boxes on the fingerboard - pentatonic, diatonic, chromatic, whatever... This book will really help you break out of those boxes and let your mind do the walking. Wink

Ed, am I being dumb (doesn't wait for affirmative response) where is there a link for the shop? on the banners or the menu at the top? I reckon I might bulk buy some stuff from the shop to make it worth my while re shipping and import tax etc..

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I will start offering this book at the shop. Just worked that out with Zack. This is really serious stuff that gets your creative juices going. We all know how easy it is for us to get stuck or trapped in those dreaded boxes on the fingerboard - pentatonic, diatonic, chromatic, whatever... This book will really help you break out of those boxes and let your mind do the walking. Wink

Ed, am I being dumb (doesn't wait for affirmative response) where is there a link for the shop? on the banners or the menu at the top? I reckon I might bulk buy some stuff from the shop to make it worth my while re shipping and import tax etc..

Yeah, the banner ads will take you to the shop site but I'll post the link here anyway:

http://www.tonemerchants.com/

I've shipped a lot of stuff to UK. Also, I can help you save on the import duty tax as many international customers ask for that help. You can email me at :

tonemerchant@sbcglobal.net
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
adrianclark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having occasionally seen references to SoS (probably on rmmgj) this thread was the final straw... I just couldn't help but order a copy. Jack, if you're still watching this forum, you've put together a fantastic piece of work there. There's just so much good meat in there, it's slightly overwhelming, but in a good way.

For anyone thinking of buying SoS, I'd have to point out that personal discipline is probably a good thing to have Wink Most reasonably developed players will already be familiar with a lot of the concepts, but if you have the discipline to apply those concepts to Jack's suggested exercises, you'll be giving yourself some serious challenges, both mental and physical.

I hear Jack's planning a second volume... I'm absolutely terrified, but also slighly moist. Shocked

Adrian
decatest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered mine a couple weeks ago and there was some mistake with the shipping. I emailed mr zucker and he was extremely kind and cleared it up. Its now on its way ... WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
bluesbreaker41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This is my first post and I must admit i've had a great time over the last few days reading over the past forums. I appreciate this is somewhat after the event, but do those of you who've read the Zucker book recommend its use to a non-reader of music? Will the nuances of phrasing etc be wasted on me? I really wish I had the time to learn to read music!

Thanks
drummondrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure its a great book. I am studying that and GG's two creative books. You don't need to know standard notation for either. SOS has everything in tab.
kanak1911

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came across Jack's book "Sheets of Sound" from a banner from this site I believe...maybe it was Greg's forum site...The asking price for the book is just too good to be true. I've had the book for a few months now and it has really helped my picking technique. The book isn't structured like a conventional lesson book, e.g. start from chapter 1 first. Anywhere you turn in the book and you've got an exercise for a particular technique. The book is just huge and packed with info. If that isn't enough, many professional musicians give SOS vol. I their stamp of approval. I'm excited to see SOS vol. II Cool Cool

By the way Jack, love your son's playing. Cool Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: