Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - What Official Guthrie Releases Exist?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Official Guthrie Releases Exist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: What Official Guthrie Releases Exist? Reply with quote

Hi,

I searched here a couple of times and get mixed messages. If I wanted to buy something that Guthrie's released, e.g. vid, book, dvd, cd (instructional or otherwise), is there something I can buy? And where?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Dave
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only things "official" that Guthrie has released are the two "Creative Guitar" instructional books. Here in the States, you can get these books at Elderly Musical Instruments. That's where I got mine but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere.

I know that the Fellowship has two CD releases, but they're not "official" in terms of how that term is viewed traditionally, i.e., record label, distribution deal, retail promotion, etc.

The clinic DVD from '04 and the Jan 19 show DVD are essentially free promotional items that just cover the cost of producing them at a fairly small volume. For me, it's really about showing guitar fans who may be interested what Guthrie is capable of.

The Jan 20 show DVD will be an "official" release as a Fellowship Live Concert DVD with, hopefully, an accompanying audio CD. There will be some highlight clips of the Erotic Cakes set and some "bonus" footage from the Jan 19 show since there'll be a lot of the mainstream out there who'll never have seen the Jan 19 show DVD.

But, of course, the main official release will be the debut CD that will be titled Erotic Cakes. It's been in the works for ages and has suffered numerous delays for various reasons. Hopefully we'll finally see it this summer.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Ed. I'll check out the books and see if it's anything I'd be interested in.

Cheers,

Dave
hara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Creative Guitar2:Advanced Techniques !!!
If you're a serious student of guitar this will keep you busy.
You'll notice that GG has been a pro guitar teacher for a very long time...
All the exercises are very well laid out...you can really learn to understand the methodology behind his 'insane' playing. The accompanying cd is as impressive as the TM cd/dvd and even more helpful if you want to 'decode' his approach and learn some of his stuff on the way...and his written texts are entertaining and enlightening as well !

http://community.webshots.com/user/hara145
hecanrock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen it mentioned here on the board and it's not technically a guthrie specific release but I have a DVD which I bought in Virgin Megastore here in london called Asia in America. It was a recent tour that Asia did and it was recorded when Guthrie was playing with them. I came across it by accident and got it because I saw Guthrie's picture on the back. He plays awesome guitar and even sings backing vocals. They also play Bad Asteroid (the whole band). Very cool:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007G1YY/qid=1112362106/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-9878264-2502205

ps that link is for a region 1 version but mine is region 2
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that DVD is an "official" release with Guthrie on it, even if he and the rest of the guys in Asia don't make a penny off of it. Apparently, they got stiff-armed on that deal. The record company or whoever is in charge of the sales of this DVD told the band, "You don't like it? So sue us."

I got it because of Guthrie as well, but I know I'll never watch it again. Guthrie himself has said it's "horrible" (his words). He was rather embarrassed talking about it. Perhaps a new DVD will come out of the recent European tour.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: