Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Upcoming Solo Album Tracks on the Clinic DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming Solo Album Tracks on the Clinic DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Upcoming Solo Album Tracks on the Clinic DVD Reply with quote

I don't even know the names of all the tracks. Perhaps Guthrie can chime in and let us know what the name of each track is? I know the second track is "Wonderful Slippery Thing" and that the fourth is "Erotic Cakes", which is my personal favorite. Love the third and the fifth as well. The first one is great as well, so they're all great with different flavors and moods, but "Erotic Cakes" and the epic finale are the two I would often watch over and over again. Which ones do you like the most?

"Erotic Cakes" seems to have the most over-the-top playing. That solo Guthrie bursts into after the drum break in the middle of the song is my favorite of the bunch as I love the flowing legato lines. My second favorite solo is the outro of the last song and the solo on the third track where Guthrie lays into "Race with the Devil..." type of hyper-speed alternate picking lines. The Metheny-esque jazzy solo with a clean tone on the fifth track is great as well.

But have most of you guys noticed that part in the fifth track where Guthrie engages the Boomerang and he plays about a second ahead of the beat and the 100% wet delayed notes come out later in perfect sync with the background music? That's one of the most astonishing things I've ever seen or heard in music! Shocked Then the beautiful psuodo-classical chord progression comes in...

So name some favorite parts on the DVD, guys!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also like erotic cakes and the 5th track. as you say, ed, they're all great, but the energy of those two really kill me. the first track is really cool as well.Cool all killer stuff.Twisted Evil hope the cd retains the energy of these clinic performances.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the third track is named "Fives," at least that's the title I remember from his track on the Alchemists CD. I heard from somewhere (forgot where exactly) that he recorded the guitar with a Line 6 POD and Powerbook.

yeah, Erotic Cakes is also my favorite.... that is if I was forced to pick one.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to purchase that DVD. Of course not because I can't afford it, i'm just lazy. Embarassed But I DO have all the clips on from the Tone Merchants page. Very Happy

Of the few Guthrie Mp3s got from a friend, in those clips I've recognized "Fives", and "Wonderful Slippery Thing", "Erotic Cakes". My favorite has gotta be the song Guthrie does with that Les Paul type guitar (what is that thing anyway?!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fifth track also but what blows me away the most is the second to last I think where he's sitting on the stool with his PRS and playing without any backing and he just keeps shifting from one style to another and absolutely nailing the tones and nuances of each style PERFECTLY. Talk about a well versed player!
govango

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i get this DVD from? I've been dying to get hold of more stuff since I got the ASIA DVD.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

govango wrote:
Where can i get this DVD from? I've been dying to get hold of more stuff since I got the ASIA DVD.

Contact me at:

tonemerchant@sbcglobal.net
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:
I've yet to purchase that DVD. Of course not because I can't afford it, i'm just lazy. Embarassed But I DO have all the clips on from the Tone Merchants page. Very Happy

Of the few Guthrie Mp3s got from a friend, in those clips I've recognized "Fives", and "Wonderful Slippery Thing", "Erotic Cakes". My favorite has gotta be the song Guthrie does with that Les Paul type guitar (what is that thing anyway?!)

Contact me and I'd be happy to send out a copy of that DVD to you. It's not region-coded and will play on all DVD players.

Yeah, it'd be nice to know the name of that fifth track. You reading, Guthrie? Wink

That guitar used on the 5th track is a Sugi that is still hanging at the shop. Guthrie asked for Les Paul style guitar for that song. Yeah, he never saw one before either. Sugi is a new guitar company from Japan and the name derives from the designer - Nick Sugimoto. Nick used to be the chief designer for the Fujigen factory in Japan that builds all the high-end Ibanez guitars and those of other brands. He designed the Jem, the Metheny model among others. Here is more info:

http://www.sugiguitars.com/index2.htm

The one that Guthrie played on that track is chambered, almost hollow - very light. Guthrie got a hang of that guitar in minutes and played it like he's been playing it for years. Now how many of us are going to be comfortable playing a guitar that we've never seen or heard of before in front of an audience? That guitar did have a bit of a feedback problem and that's probably because of the nearly hollow body and perhaps the pickups weren't properly potted. Guthrie does seem to be fighting that guitar a bit more than the other solid-bodies like his PRS and the Suhr Classic he used on the blues jam track at the end.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, awesome. That's surprising it's still there, it looks like a beautiful guitar. Despite the feedback, from what I've heard on the clips the tone is insane. Shocked

Now that you mention the PRS, do you know how Guthrie had it set up as far as action? That and it looks like either a Custom or Standard 24, curious about which Cool I was trying to do a search on the board, and I came across the mention of a banged up PRS of his with medium to high action. Is that the one?

I'll send ya an Email about the dvd, btw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:
Oh, awesome. That's surprising it's still there, it looks like a beautiful guitar. Despite the feedback, from what I've heard on the clips the tone is insane. Shocked

Now that you mention the PRS, do you know how Guthrie had it set up as far as action? That and it looks like either a Custom or Standard 24, curious about which Cool I was trying to do a search on the board, and I came across the mention of a banged up PRS of his with medium to high action. Is that the one?

I'll send ya an Email about the dvd, btw

Yeah, but Guthrie can play a Chinese-made Squier or whatever with the strings out of tune and he'd make it sound great. Still, I have to say that the Sugi is really sweet and Guthrie seemed to enjoy playing that one quite a bit.

The action on Guthrie's PRS was medium-high (I'd say about 3/32" at the 12th fret). It's a Custom 24 with a flame maple top in tobacco burst but has dot inlays instead of the birds. Seemed a little difficult to play for us mortals! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Guthrie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Clinic DVD track names Reply with quote

I don't watch that clinic DVD a great deal, as you can imagine - but I can probably demystify the track names.

If the track's in 7/4, it's called "Sevens".

If it's in 5/4, it's called - wait for it - "Fives" (I never was the imaginative type... Actually, uberdrummer Pete Riley coined those names - they were just working titles for rehearsal purposes, and then they kind of stuck!)

If it's a drop D thing featuring that Sugi guitar (which, btw, is remarkably "alive" and responsive - hints of the way my 335 behaves...) it's called "Ner Ner". I just figured that anyone who fancied singing the main theme in the shower - and to the best of my knowledge, this has never happened - "ner" would be the most appropriate syllable.

Oh - and with regard to the "Alchemists" version of "Fives"; the clean guitars were done with the POD, but the filthy stuff is a Cornford Harlequin with an SM57 in front of it. Cool

I actually got given the POD by the school where I was working at the time, and I liked it so much I gave it back to them! Digital modelling is the work of the Devil - and not one of his better efforts, imho Smile
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clinic DVD track names Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:

Oh - and with regard to the "Alchemists" version of "Fives"; the clean guitars were done with the POD, but the filthy stuff is a Cornford Harlequin with an SM57 in front of it. Cool

I actually got given the POD by the school where I was working at the time, and I liked it so much I gave it back to them! Digital modelling is the work of the Devil - and not one of his better efforts, imho Smile

haha....maybe you're right.....and it is in red Twisted Evil
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clinic DVD track names Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
I don't watch that clinic DVD a great deal, as you can imagine - but I can probably demystify the track names.

If the track's in 7/4, it's called "Sevens".

If it's in 5/4, it's called - wait for it - "Fives" (I never was the imaginative type... Actually, uberdrummer Pete Riley coined those names - they were just working titles for rehearsal purposes, and then they kind of stuck!)

If it's a drop D thing featuring that Sugi guitar (which, btw, is remarkably "alive" and responsive - hints of the way my 335 behaves...) it's called "Ner Ner". I just figured that anyone who fancied singing the main theme in the shower - and to the best of my knowledge, this has never happened - "ner" would be the most appropriate syllable.

Yeah, it seems most artists don't particularly enjoy listening to or watching their own work very much. I bet you'd do that more with a critical eyes and ears to nail your own mistakes and things like that and improve.

You say that you're "not the imaginative type"? Only when it comes to naming tunes, right? Wink

Know what you mean about the digital modeling stuff, especially since I started this business of offering some of the finest guitar tube amps on the planet. Surprised It's so lifeless, limpid and artificial. Comparing a fine tube amp to a digital modeler is like comparing technicolor to black-and-white. No comparison whatsoever...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm a Line 6 user...but ONLY for recording...and I've been rather pleased with the results...esp. the Blackface model on the XT. High-gain tones are serviceable at best.

But I wouldn't be caught dead with one playing live though....those things just don't cut through well at all (Vox Valvetronix came out the best tho..they sound really good cranked as opposed to Line Sux).

Until I get a Harlequin, the red evil bean will have to do.

Hey Ed are you willing to trade one of your Harlequins for these magic red beans? Laughing
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually work alongside the guy who designed a good chunk of the original POD when he was with Line6 a couple years back. The shape was actually inspired by a kidney Shocked and you'll also notice that it's very comfortable to hold in 2 hands. Kinda has a steering wheel feel to it. Mind you, with both hands on the kidney there's not much you can do with your guitar...................

I'll be careful to shield my coworker from these, uhm, comments about his baby. He is rather quite proud of it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: