Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Jammed With Yngwie at ACM?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Jammed With Yngwie at ACM?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Guthrie Jammed With Yngwie at ACM? Reply with quote

Found this thread on the Vai Forum:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=131069&highlight=&

Interesting tidbit about GG pretending to be a student there and jamming with Yngwie at a Master Class. Shocked But why am I not surprised? Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny indeed, especially if it's true that Malmsteen walked out of the room. I hope not though... I understand the critisism against Malmsteen but I still thing he has done something great with his life. If only he would be more versatile...then he could be awesome, 'cause he does have feel & passion in his playing.
Will

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guthrie told our old ACM class about that. I think what actually happened was that Malmsteen randomly pointed at someone to jam with presuming they were all students. Guthrie was sitting in the student section and he may have been egged on to do it for a laugh.

I doubt Malmsteen walked out. He's probably a better person that that (although i'll agree he is a bit of a moody twat)
I did hear though, that he hasn't accepted anymore invitations for masterclasses at ACM.

A funny story though, many would agree that Malmsteen probably needs quite a few reality checks done.

"My name is Yngwie Malmsteen..... with a 'J'"

After an airhostess on a plane apparently did something to annoy him, he is quoted in saying:

"YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE FURY!!!!"

hilarious.... Laughing
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
After an airhostess on a plane apparently did something to annoy him, he is quoted in saying:

"YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE FURY!!!!"

hilarious.... Laughing

Actually, check this quote for the details of that story (stolen from the allan holdsworth forum):

The Bradford Executive wrote:
Ryan D wrote:
Have you ever heard about the "fjooking fury" incident with Yngwie Malmsteen?

Quote:
YNGWIE MALMSTEEN Threatens To Kill Airline Passenger - Dec. 9, 2002

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN threatened to kill a fellow passenger on a flight to Tokyo, Japan after the woman poured a glassful of water on the guitarist.
The passenger, who had no prior contact with Yngwie, allegedly overheard Malmsteen making derogatory comments about homosexuals and decided to show her disapproval by emptying the contents of her glass on the hefty axeman.

A member of Yngwie's touring entourage, who was traveling with Malmsteen at the time, had a tape recorder running and managed to catch Yngwie's reaction on tape immediately after the guitarist was "assaulted" by the offended passenger.

To download an MP3 file containing Yngwie's response to the "water attack", including his now-legendary phrase "You've unleashed the fooking fury," click here (file size: 1.7 MB)

Pure neo-classical brilliance...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

RD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, hehe; I downloaded that mp3 last year. It's funny, but on the other hand I think they should give him a break. I mean, imagine that you are on tour; tired as hell and then someone pours her drink over you... I mean, ofcourse it's not right to say such things as he did, but I also think we don't have all the angles of situations like that.

I see Yngwie as a funny character, and despite his obvious flaws, you can still learn from him in several ways.
And, not to forget, he's a self-made man, not some 'made guy or girl' made up by some business-only minded team from the kind of record company that don't give a fu** about music in the first place (as you see a lot in todays pop music alla Idols, etc). He's more then your average shredder, doing his own thing for years.
The only problem is that he doesn't seem to break new barriers. He should also practise technique more when doing accousitc work since his pick attack sounds awful on accoustic guitar. And besides that, he seemed to have a bit of an attitude in the past that keeps haunting him. Or maybe he still has it? I admit I never met him in person...like I said; we don't have all the angles...

Anyway, I admit I still like to listen for 'Far Beyond the Sun' once in a while. Or to 'Brothers' on the Orchestra Suite Smile
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
And, not to forget, he's a self-made man,

Yeah and theres a lot of him to make.. Laughing

I have the power!
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...Guthrie, you are a bad boy Twisted Evil
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Pete Callard telling us that the rumour was a comlete load of rubbish. Guthrie is not the type of guy to do anything like that. I dont think he'd want to compete with someone he's looked up to while growing up on the guitar! Not in his character.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrighty-boyo wrote:
I remember Pete Callard telling us that the rumour was a comlete load of rubbish. Guthrie is not the type of guy to do anything like that. I dont think he'd want to compete with someone he's looked up to while growing up on the guitar! Not in his character.

I agree that Guthrie would not do anything like that on his own, but if he got called upon to have a jam, he's going to play his best and you know what happens then. I've seen Guthrie jam with some great players and Guthrie is only interested in making music and having fun, but the truth is that in a jam situation, there'd be a very few alive on this planet who can match his combination of chops, inventiveness, and creativity. Combination is the key word here...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Dead Walker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie Jammed With Yngwie at ACM? Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Found this thread on the Vai Forum:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=131069&highlight=&

Interesting tidbit about GG pretending to be a student there and jamming with Yngwie at a Master Class. Shocked But why am I not surprised? Laughing

yngwie is a hell of guitar player on his style and nobody can beat him on this area,guthrie on one of his guitar lesson did a yngwie lesson and i think that he suck on that lesson,he is good on fusion music,but to play neoclasical music yngwie is the king,i think that yngwie is a amazing guitar just listen to the allan holdsworth cover he did on his album inspiration,mr guthrie is an amazing guitar player too and a great teacher,i like both guitar players.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwie had one good album: rising force back in '84 or so. i find his other stuff virtually unlistenable. you see him for 2 minutes live and you've seen everthing he's going to do for the next 2 hours. the guy bores me to tears. it's as simple as that. neoclassical is a dead-end genre to begin with but others have easily surpassed yngwie in that area as well. i'm sure glad gg isn't exploring that wasteland of a musical "genre".
Dead Walker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
yngwie had one good album: rising force back in '84 or so. i find his other stuff virtually unlistenable. you see him for 2 minutes live and you've seen everthing he's going to do for the next 2 hours. the guy bores me to tears. it's as simple as that. neoclassical is a dead-end genre to begin with but others have easily surpassed yngwie in that area as well. i'm sure glad gg isn't exploring that wasteland of a musical "genre".

well i think that yngwie got a great albums like oddysey,trilogy,facing the animal,im not into yngwie music anymore,but when i want to hear neoclasical music i comeback to yngwie.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
That's funny indeed, especially if it's true that Malmsteen walked out of the room. I hope not though... I understand the critisism against Malmsteen but I still thing he has done something great with his life. If only he would be more versatile...then he could be awesome, 'cause he does have feel & passion in his playing.

I was absolutely enamored with Yngwie when he first burst onto the scene. I had a Japanese Laser Disc of him in early-'84 playing with Alcatrazz and it's amazing by even today's standards. The truth is that 99.9% of guitar players will never reach that kind of proficiency on the guitar. The guy is a total natural.

I had so much high hopes for him. Heck, even John McLaughlin did. Does anyone remember the Musician magazine interview featuring both back in the mid-80's or so? What an odd pair! Even McLaughlin thought that Yngwie was going to amount to a special musician, compositionally speaking. That hasn't exactly panned out, has it? I bought albums of his time and time again, even after it became apparent that he wasn't going to change, develop or improve (as a writer). The last Yngwie album I got was "War to End All Wars". After giving that disc another hopeful yet skeptical spin, I said, "Okay, that's it, Yngwie. I've had it. I give up. You've lost me for good."

Guthrie was certainly influenced to a large degree by the whole 80's shred scene: Yngwie, MacAlpine, Cacophony, Satch, Vai, Gilbert, etc. He absorbed them all. But it's obvious that GG preferred to forget about them all throughout the 90's. Once he had the chops, techniques, and the theory down, he moved on to absorb everything else. And as far as "shred" or technical playing was concerned, he absorbed the new generation of guys like Lane, Buckethead, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, etc.

Does anyone need to be any faster than Yngwie? Perhaps some guys are, even in the neoclassical field. Who really cares that a few might be faster? Who would I rather listen to? Yngwie, Impellitteri or Stump? I'll definitely take Yngwie over the other two although those guys are probably "faster". Yngwie certainly does have a certain fire and passion in his playing. But I do agree with shredrulez here that the lines start becoming very, very repetitive. It'd be hard to say GG is faster than any of these guys unless we slowed the solos down and measured the all-so-important NPS (notes-per-second) standards. I know I certainly can't get myself to do it. Doing so would only be an admission that I'm looking at the whole thing as some sort of a sports.

Do I think that GG could "blow" Yngwie to bits as this guy on the Vai forum is claiming? Yes, I think so. But not on the chops department. I don't think anyone can say GG is faster or anything like that. But GG would certainly have more ideas and stylistic variety than Yngwie - or almost anyone else that I could think of for that matter. Mind over matter, I say: brains chops over physical chops is what matters in the end.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much everything, Ed. But I never really liked Yngwie's songwriting because of the kind of singing it contained. I also never really liked Maiden; same reason.

I remember that, when having guitar lessons from an Yngwie fan, that I wanted him to put some Yngwie songs on tape, but I stressed to him 'only the instrumental ones!!'. That type of rock stuff just never was my thing. Isn't it true that he later on released another 'Rising Force' album that was exactly like the first?? Or perhaps the title was diffirent, perhaps it was 'War to End all Wars' indeed, like you said. Anyway, I had the EXACT same opinion about that as you; I heard the songs and was in complete disbelief that somebody, years later, would come up with the same thing. Malmsteen says in interviews that he doesn't like trends and in that Malmsteen - McLaughlin interview you mentioned (I know it), he also says he doesn't practise anymore. Well, maybe he should.

Although we are a quite like-minded on this stuff, I do have something to disagree on with you:

I don't think that Malmsteen is technically that perfect. This is especially to be heard when he's doing accoustic stuff; his pick attack sounds awful then and he doesn't have the accuracy & power as, for instance, Al DiMeola on accoustic. I think that DiMeola is one of the few who can really be just as accurate on the accoustic as on the electric guitar and still sounds very strong. Most electric fast players suddenly change style when playing accoustic and suddenly play more chords and easier stuff.

On electric, Malmsteen's technique is interesting to me because of his EASE of playing. I've never seen anything like it. But, then again, he (almost) always plays with distortion. I think it would be interesting to hear him clean sometime. Would be a nice change too.
jordan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said, but would like to add:

1) What RD said about YJM on acoustic is spot on. I nearly cried when I saw the G3 DVD with his "acoustic" piece. Quite simply, it was shocking. Everything about it was horrid - the tone, the accuracy, the fact that he was playing nylon with a pick!!!

2) As much as I doubt this whole "Guthrie showing him up" scenario actually happened, isn't there just a little bit of everyone here that wishes it was entirely true? I'd have paid great money to see that Smile

Other than that, I think you've said everything. YJM IS an amazing talent at the style he chooses, but I don't think he can ever be considered in the same league as Vai/Johnson etc...who have showcased skills on a much broader range of styles.

Just my 2 cents,
Jordan.

ps. to the guy who posted the mp3 of the YJM "unleash the fury"....I am eternally grateful....that's been sent off to all my geetar playing buddies with much amusement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: