Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Which Guthrie DVD is better?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Guthrie DVD is better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plattypuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Which Guthrie DVD is better? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to buy one of the ToneMerchants DVD's but am not sure which to buy. Which one is better in your opinions and why?

Thanks alot.

Last edited by plattypuss on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's ToneWorks? Wink

If I had to choose one, it'd be the new Jan 19 '05 Live Show DVD. It's real live playing (with bassist and drummer), Guthrie's playing has improved, his tone is better, the overall sound is better, it's longer, and it's also got the Fellowship material.

Still, for just $8 more including S&H, you may as well pick up the clinic DVD from Jan 24, '04. It's got some cool things on it that you won't find on the live DVD. The performance of "Ner Ner" on it is still the best of that particular piece I've seen to date and it's got some Boomerang performances on it that are really cool.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
plattypuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the Jan 19th one for now but will no doubt get the other soon!

Cheers fr your help
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jan. 19th performance is still my favorite, but I was watching the 04 clinic dvd a few days ago and was really blown away! I forgot about the awesome boomerang performance, and quite possibly my favorite, the unaccompanied 13 plus minute solo at then end. Guthrie breaks off into so many different styles, from straight up jazz, to frickin awesome country runs, and even some Firkins-esque tremelo antics (and imitating the slide sound without the tremelo!!). Oh yeah, crazy ass 8 finger runs on that solo also, unbelievable Shocked

After having time to digest all these dvds, I still go with the 19th performance. Guthrie and that Suhr are a truly formidable duo Cool
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
The Jan. 19th performance is still my favorite, but I was watching the 04 clinic dvd a few days ago and was really blown away! I forgot about the awesome boomerang performance, and quite possibly my favorite, the unaccompanied 13 plus minute solo at then end. Guthrie breaks off into so many different styles, from straight up jazz, to frickin awesome country runs, and even some Firkins-esque tremelo antics (and imitating the slide sound without the tremelo!!). Oh yeah, crazy ass 8 finger runs on that solo also, unbelievable Shocked

After having time to digest all these dvds, I still go with the 19th performance. Guthrie and that Suhr are a truly formidable duo Cool

Yeah, the two DVDs go hand-in-hand are very complementary. With the clinic DVD, you sort of get an idea of what the songs sound like in full production with the backing tracks although the audio quality isn't all that great through the camcorder mics. The guitar sounds pretty good, though. But I agree that the unaccompanied solo demonstration is most impressive. Guthrie proves that he's a walking guitar encyclopedia there.

You notice that save for the written-out parts, Guthrie never repeats himself over the course of the two DVDs. The thing is that if we made another DVD it'd be the same case - bunch of new things that we haven't seen Guthrie do before. I've seen an awful lot of Guthrie by now but I'm sure that I haven't seen even half of all the things he could do - probably more like 25%.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear "Hangover". By the way it has been described by Ed and others, I'm sure it will give me goosebumps.

Ed, do you know if Guthrie and company played Bad Asteroid well enough on the 20th for it to make it to the DVD? That's one of my favorite tunes and it kinda sucks that there were some camera malfunctions and whatnot on the 19th
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
I can't wait to hear "Hangover". By the way it has been described by Ed and others, I'm sure it will give me goosebumps.

Ed, do you know if Guthrie and company played Bad Asteroid well enough on the 20th for it to make it to the DVD? That's one of my favorite tunes and it kinda sucks that there were some camera malfunctions and whatnot on the 19th

There are only snippets of each song of the EC set on the Jan 20 DVD. The focus of this DVD is squarely on the Fellowship (8 tunes) as it was decided that we didn't want this DVD affecting the sales of the Erotic Cakes album in any way. Once the album is out I'm sure we'll make a dedicated Erotic Cakes DVD.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
The performance of "Ner Ner" on it is still the best of that particular piece I've seen to date and it's got some Boomerang performances on it that are really cool.

I was thinking that same thing a few days ago. I remember the first time watching the clips of him doing Ner Ner from the Clinic DVD - his phrasing literally gave me goosebumps. Now there's no doubt he totally teared that song up on the Jan 19th DVD too, but there was just something about the way he played it on that first DVD that killed me - in a good way. Laughing

I'll have to agree with getting both DVDs. The clinic DVD shows how well rounded Guthrie is in various styles, but a majority of his energy and chops are displayed better on the Jan 19th dvd - EMPHASIS ON THE CHOPS Shocked But the melody and insane phrasing is also still very much there.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:

I was thinking that same thing a few days ago. I remember the first time watching the clips of him doing Ner Ner from the Clinic DVD - his phrasing literally gave me goosebumps.

Yeah, Guthrie's performance on that track was definitely the clincher for me that night. I knew that at the end of the first track, "Sevens", that he was way beyond the normal group of post-Satch-and-Vai shredders, but with that performance of "Ner Ner", I came to see that he was in a very special realm of his own.

There are musical themes within themes that could be the basis of a whole album on that performance alone. He must have been in a special zone when he was playing it. Looking at it in retrospect, it's almost impossible to believe that the solos on that track were improvised.

He's just not playing guitar there, he's creating new music - spontaneously... The solos are so beautiful I always wish he'd play them note-for-note whenever he plays that song, but apparently, they were improvised and he hasn't played the solos the same way since. The cool thing about Guthrie is that he has the potential to do it even better next time around on some magical night.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: