Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Dunlop ULTEX Picks - WOW!!!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dunlop ULTEX Picks - WOW!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredizalive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Dunlop ULTEX Picks - WOW!!!!! Reply with quote

Having been a die-hard Dunlop Tortex user for over 10 years, I was bit curious about these new picks they unvailed....

OH MY GOD!!!! By far, the purest attack I've ever felt or heard. They simply make your notes come alive ( I never thought a pick could make such a difference, but these DO ).

Seriously, you've got to check them out. I use the 1.0's and they are simply amazing!!!!!!!! Love them.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using the Dunlop Delrin 1.5mm's for ages myself and this pick made me change overnight. I use the 1.14's. Before the Delrins I used the Jazz III's for a good while.

The Ultex has the grip and the attack of the Tortex type of picks and the smooth release of the Delrin type of picks. I hope they make a large Jazz III size out of it like the one that Guthrie uses. Personally, I'm not that keen on the material of the new Jazz III's. They changed the material along the way sometime and don't feel right to me.

The Ultex is really great. They don't slip out of your fingers easily either.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, which picks does Guthrie use, and what is the thickness of these? Thanx!
M@

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... I should have looked down and read the post "Dunlop Jazz 3 picks" and answered my own question. Embarassed
markmcg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time user of Ultex and yes, they rock! Very Happy

Fantastic response and durability.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
kanak1911

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Dunlop stubbys for about a month now and I love the way it comes off the string. The jazz 3's just don't release like the stubbys do for me.
Ipacak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanak1911 wrote:
I have been using the Dunlop stubbys for about a month now and I love the way it comes off the string. The jazz 3's just don't release like the stubbys do for me.

I used to use stubby 3mm....very fast picks and great string release...but...

1) They wore down REALLY fast.
2) Didn't give much definition for rhythm guitar. Too smooth of a sound for crunchy tones (compared to a Jazz III)
3) Hated the "chirp" sound that it gave when the pick hit the string.
4) Grip was really too slippery for playing a live gig, the pick would turn in my hand when I started sweating and it would fall out of my hand!

Now mind you that I don't have a ferocious pick attack at all, I pick very lightly and use light gauge strings...but those picks wore down so fast and they are so hard to find in stores it didn't seem practical! I've been using a red Jazz III ever since and haven't looked back. (plus it seems like these hardly wear down at all)
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a great fan of Jazz III xl but when it comes to palming the pick it's a damn sight easier with them than the usual jazz IIIs I prefer Wink

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fender heavy/xtra heavy! and it has to be the fake tortoise ones. nothing else works. and yes: the henderson/landau trick, playing with the non-pointy back end of the pick, actually works -- improves your sound, but also your playing since you really can't do fast alternate picking that way Wink

used jazz III for many years, but they were actually pretty uselessto me since i like to dig into the string and pick pretty hard. i find them great for controlled, light attack alternate picking though. needed something heavy, but still not too stiff (like i find the ultex). bad thing is that a fender heavy/xtra heavy lasts for about 20 mins Confused

Aresius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an Ultex earlier and I loved it to death! The material was great, it gave a good crunch to rhythm playing(I play quite heavyhandedly) and more cut to leads. But then I lost it somewhere and I haven't seen them anywhere. Still looking, though. Nowadays I'm using small Jazz IIIs, both red and black, because they have so different tones. I also occasionally use those Dunlop Stubbys but they have a too thick tone and don't really have an edge in them.
Powerslave214

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

The Ultex has the grip and the attack of the Tortex type of picks and the smooth release of the Delrin type of picks. I hope they make a large Jazz III size out of it like the one that Guthrie uses.

I don't know if this would interest you or not, but Clayton is now making the "Spike" line of picks http://www.steveclayton.com/spike.html
Their Ultem formula is pretty much the exact same as Ultex. I'm a Jazz III XL user (black, though I'd like to try some of the reds), and jazz tortex as well. These Clayton spikes are not bad at all in comparison, but since the heaviest gague is .80, they feel a little thin in my hands, which are used to the 1.14 or 1.38.

It's amazing how anal retentive I can get over a small piece of plastic that isn't my credit card.

Cool
Scottie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best picks i've come across are these-http://www.v-picks.com/
I was using the red jazz 3's for years but these are fantastic.
gadget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dunlop ULTEX Picks - WOW!!!!! Reply with quote

shredizalive wrote:
Having been a die-hard Dunlop Tortex user for over 10 years, I was bit curious about these new picks they unvailed....

I use Tortex too and have been considering trying the Ultex. Did you swap sizes at all for the Ultex, or stick with the same as the Tortex?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw Guthrie, he was using the black Jazz III XL, which is a bit stiffer than the red. I've got a few red and black XL's but I still prefer the Ultex myself. The XL's seem to "drag" across the strings for me.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
dreamfullofzen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, picks... crazy little things,

i've gone through truckloads of different ones, more or less all the major ones and afew odds ones too..

I never cared too much for the Jazz picks. there was a period when i dug small picks, but i moved back to regular size ones and can't get on too well with the smaller ones... too heavy handed i guess, plus my technique isn't particularly helpful either i guess...

I use picks made by intune picks, they sound and feel pretty damn sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: