Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - So Name Your Gear and Post Pics If You'd Like
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Name Your Gear and Post Pics If You'd Like
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: So Name Your Gear and Post Pics If You'd Like Reply with quote

I assume most guys here are guitar players, so let us know what you're playing and what kinds of sounds you are shooting for.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed,

I want to see what you are playing through these days? Guitars, Rack Effects, Pedals and Amps. You have access to so much?
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My babies pretty much cover all grounds. The DC1 (1997) has a PRS type pickup scheme and the C90 (1999) has 7 different pup options.

Gojirosan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

Well at the moment I'm studio based so I have 60-ish effects pedals at my disposal and several guitars and a bass. Plus outboard studio effects, plug-ins and such. I would go into it, but it'd take forever. Laughing

Now if I had an important gig tomorrow in my usual style of Krautrock/Hendrixy improvisation I would take these things:

Fenix Strat copy. This is my most precious guitar, the best I have played yet, despite being cheaper than the equivalent Squier when I got it in 1991! I have changed everything except the body, neck, trem, machineheads, screws, neckplate etc. I never use the middle pickup on strats and dislike the "out-of-phase" tones, so I rewire all my strat types with Tele wiring (I find a three way switch and two wide spread single coilish pickups gives me plenty of tonal options). This one has DiMarzio Virtual Vintages, a 2.2 in the bridge and a 2.1 in the neck.

A bitsa Strat I made up from bits bought on eBay and donated by well-wishers. It has Kent Armstrongs in it, a Hot Rails in bridge and a Cool Rails in neck. The headstock says "Tokai" so I call it the "Faux Tokai".

Squier Tele - Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar in bridge, very cheap Korean bridge humbucker in neck which actually sound pretty good! I'll be putting a Bare Knuckle 'bucker in there soon though! I tend to use this for more pure funk and jazziness.

They are my "working" guitars. I also have a 1967 Wilson semi- acoustic that I restored recently, a very modded Hondo electric 12 string (in bits right now!), a beautiful, nameless classical, an Epiphone "The Biscuit" dobro, a loathsome Westfield P-bass (I hate it! I really need to replace it before it kills my left wrist! Small hands and a big bass neck are a bad combo...), a Columbus LP copy (my first guitar!) and a Hohner JT60 Jazzmaster copy with Strat pickups.

My main effects board is subject to change (obviously with so many of the damned things around me!) but at the moment features: BOSS volume -> George Dennis GD30 Wah -> ProCo Vintage Rat reissue (was a 1977 Big Muff, but it was getting battered and the Vintage Rat sounds almost identical) -> Danelectro French Toast octave fuzz -> ElectroHarmonix Deluxe Memory Man reissue (modded) -> Nobels Tremolo TR-X (an extremely under-rated tremolo pedal)-> Arion Stereo Chorus SCH-1 (set to sound like a Leslie/UniVibe, natch! Laughing)

My main amp is a late 70s Roland JC120 which I adore. Perfect for a pedal freak like me, just clean, flat and loud giving the sound of my pedal board and guitars. I use a Vox Cambridge 30 hybrid for recording sometimes (but it's a bit dark, so I am considering swapping the Celstion for a Jensen).

So there you go! I have never owned a full-on valve amp and though I like some of them, I have never really felt the need. I have almost 40 drive, distortion and fuzz pedals to choose from and (sacrilege!!!!) I actually prefer the sound of solid state distortion. Nonetheless, I'd certainly have a silverface Super Reverb or two!

Laughing

Last edited by Gojirosan on Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
thing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strat, Tele (my favourite guitar), Yam Ty Tabor signature, Sheraton semi, Washburn acoustic, Washburn bass and a custom made classical. I don't use effects live, just guitar into a Fender Hot Rod deluxe. For recording I use a Boss GT-6. I have a Kidd practice amp that I cart around for teaching, 2x8 inch speakers in an amp that weighs around 10 pounds! I also have a Technics KN 3000 keyboard for general weirdness and about 4 tons of cables, mics and bits that 'might come in handy one day'. I've actually probably got about 3 guitars worth of bits hanging out somewhere.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Hey Ed,

I want to see what you are playing through these days? Guitars, Rack Effects, Pedals and Amps. You have access to so much?

I really only get to play to test stuff every now and then at the shop and don't have any guitar gear at home at the moment. I've got my hands full at home with a 4-year-old and a 10-month-old. Mad

I normally pick up a Suhr Standard or a Tyler (if one's ever around) and plug into whatever I feel like plugging into at a given moment. Some people may think I get to play all this great gear every day, but I probably don't average more than 15 minutes of playing per day these days.

A new amp that has impressed me a great deal is the CAE OD-100 with the Scott Henderson mod. This amp just sounds huge!!! Shocked Very versatile as well. I like the Diezel amps a lot, especially the Herbert Mark II and the Cornford amps, obviously. I also have this monster Two-Rock prototype that I'm still in the process of tweaking with Bill and Joe over at K&M. Love the Bad Cats. I've got a customer's Divided By 13 FTR-37 that's really, really cool. I'll plug into a Germino for the Plexi sound. So many choices, really.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Donnie, beautiful Brian Moores you have there. I used to have the now-discontinued MC/1 with the molded composite back and neck. I used to own a C90 as well. Great guitars, but I've sort of settled on the Suhrs for myself now.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
markmcg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gear info here:

http://www.markmcguigan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gear/

Smile

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Hey Donnie, beautiful Brian Moores you have there. I used to have the now-discontinued MC/1 with the molded composite back and neck. I used to own a C90 as well. Great guitars, but I've sort of settled on the Suhrs for myself now.

Thanks Ed. I always wanted a Moore but could not afford one new. Luckily these 2 sweeties showed up on Ebay and I got both for a steal. I also like the fact that they were both produced prior to Moore diverted tons of their attention to the whole iGuitar thing which I'm sure is a nice profitable venture for them but in my mind ruins a bit of the "custom shop" mystique they had in the 90s.

Ed, how was the upper neck access on the MC1 compared to the C90? I believe the MC has 24 frets too.

From a purely ergonomic standpoint the C90 is my favorite Super Strat guitar. Stops along the way were an Ibanez SAX2020, JS1000 Satriani Model, Music Man Petrucci, and the Vigier Excalibur. All great guitars but the C90 just "fits" better.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:

Ed, how was the upper neck access on the MC1 compared to the C90? I believe the MC has 24 frets too.

The Brian Moore MC/1 was a pure shred machine: the fastest guitar I've ever played. It's so ridiculously easy and fast to play that your fingers tend to race faster than your mind can. I could get the action down to 1mm (less than 3/64") at the 17th fret and it wouldn't buzz with a light-to-normal touch and pick attack.

When I owned this guitar, I was just playing at home through modeling amps like the Johnson Millennium (and later the H&K zenTera), so the whole signal chain was a pretty synthetic kind of thing, but I didn't care. I was just playing at home every now and then anyway. But when I started this business and started playing it through these great tube amps, I really started hearing the plastic (which is, essentially, what graphite is) content of the guitar and that got to be very annoying. Mad

Guthrie played it when he first visited the shop in Jan '03. He was shredding all over it and I remember thinking, "Maybe Guthrie can inject some feel into this guitar." Laughing He noticed that it was gone when he visited the shop again in Jan of this year. He commented something like, "So you decided that guitar was a little too "perfect", huh?" Yup. Too sterile, too even, too clean... So I showed him what I replaced the MC/1 one with and he took it away from me! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
"So you decided that guitar was a little too "perfect", huh?" Yup. Too sterile, too even, too clean... So I showed him what I replaced the MC/1 one with and he took it away from me! Laughing

Not sure if you've seen the picture yet in the other thread Ed Very Happy

Well, I guess I'll stop thinking about the MC1 then. When I was bidding on the C90 I emailed the SN to Moore and they were able to tell me a bit about the guitar. It was custom ordered and the buyer wanted the back to be a light piece of mahogany. Strapping it on you've never think it was mahogany but it's got a really nice lush tone but yet airy with no mud. You are right about the action though, I've never had something I could get so low - which for the stuff I'm playing now works perfectly.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibanez RG3120, Fender Tele, G&L strat, Taylor acoustic

Amps:

Laney GH100L and VH100R heads
Mesa Boogie 2x12
Carvin Legacy 2x12
Keeley modded Tubescreamer and DS-1
POD XT for direct/home recording

I'm currently looking for a nice combo to use at home.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other 2 axes are in this pic. 1995 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus with PAFs and Grover tuners and a 1978 Ibanez MC300NT that except for it's weight (almost 10 pounds) is a killer axe!

kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie you have some amazing guitars!
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Donnie you have some amazing guitars!

Now if only I had some amazing hands to match Shocked

And oh uhm Dave, your stable is pretty incredible too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: