Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Fellowship @ the Bassment
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fellowship @ the Bassment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: The Fellowship @ the Bassment Reply with quote

I guess that's my privilege. I live about 15 miles away from Guthrie's Thursday night gigs at the Bassment in Chelmsford. I got my first opportunity 3 weeks ago (as I usually work late Thursday nights), but since then, I haven't missed a show.

Before I go on about how cool it is to see Guthrie perform live, up close, and full-on, it has to be said that every single member of the entire band is also a class player in their own right. Just listening to Zack on the sax is enough to make me want to pack in the guitar and start up the saxophone. Seth, Pete, and the keyboard player (is it Jeff?) are all absolutely superb, and the whole band has their moment to make your jaw drop and eyes bulge! All this for just £4.00!!

I know Frankus goes up there on a fairly regular basis, I was just wondering if any other Guth forumite goes up there.

(BTW, chatting to Guth last night - the guy is too bloody humble!! Laughing He seems a bit freaked that people admire his guitar skills on a forum like this! I say "Why not?")
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... Must be nice to be able to see Guthrie and the rest of the guys play once a week. Please take some pics and post when you can. The rest of us would like to see what's going on with Guthrie and the band.

Yeah, Guthrie gets genuinely uncomfortable when people heaping praise on him. That's just his nature. He is also a master of self-deprecating humor. He will find every opportunity to say something he's not good at or wishes he could do better or how he messed up, etc. The cool thing is that he really means it. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the sort of person to start gushing undue praise, Ed. I'd rather just say "That was a great set" than switching on the "moronic fanboy mode" and telling Guthrie just how wonderful and godlike he is and how I'm not worthy to be in the same town as him (probably cos a restraining order would make sure of that...) Laughing

It's a bit odd, because I cahtted with Zack, the saxophonist, and he had a similar streak of humility and self-depreciating humour about him too. I guess if I was to chat with Seth or Pete, they'd be the same. Bottom line was that I said it was just nice to have some real local music rather than all the "Busted" clones and bands with names like "Skullfuck" or "Mutant Apostle" (yawn) in the area. - I think it confirms my theory that the better the musician, the more humble and un-egotistical they are about their playing. It's not about celebrity, image or money. It's about the music.

As for taking pictures in the Bassment, I dunno if it's considered good ettiquette or if its allowed. I'll take a camera, and ask the band if they mind next time. If it's cool with them, I'll get some pics up. Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
I'm not the sort of person to start gushing undue praise, Ed. I'd rather just say "That was a great set" than switching on the "moronic fanboy mode" and telling Guthrie just how wonderful and godlike he is and how I'm not worthy to be in the same town as him (probably cos a restraining order would make sure of that...) Laughing

It's a bit odd, because I cahtted with Zack, the saxophonist, and he had a similar streak of humility and self-depreciating humour about him too. I guess if I was to chat with Seth or Pete, they'd be the same. Bottom line was that I said it was just nice to have some real local music rather than all the "Busted" clones and bands with names like "Skullfuck" or "Mutant Apostle" (yawn) in the area. - I think it confirms my theory that the better the musician, the more humble and un-egotistical they are about their playing. It's not about celebrity, image or money. It's about the music.

As for taking pictures in the Bassment, I dunno if it's considered good ettiquette or if its allowed. I'll take a camera, and ask the band if they mind next time. If it's cool with them, I'll get some pics up. Very Happy

Yeah, I'm sure you didn't gush all over him in person, but we have to admit there's a lot of it going on here and for a good reason! Wink I guess that's what Guthrie finds so freaky. I've been telling Guthrie: "Just get used to it! It's only going to get 'worse'!" Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Speed Demon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a few questions, but this seems to be the best place to post them.

First, I'm 16, live near Chelmsford and I absolutely must see Guthrie play or else I'll die. So, where exactly is this "The Bassment" place, and what are the age restrictions, if any? Also, how much does it cost to get in etc.?

Secondly, I'm thinking of going to a music university when I leave school, and BIMM looks like a very good place. So, and this is mainly directed at pupils/ex-pupils, what are the facilities and teachers like? Also, how often does Guthrie teach there? I assume, if he has a gig at The Bassment every Thursday, and writes for GT, that he doesn't teach there every day.

Lastly, is there ever any chance that Guthrie will come back to KEGS for a little performance or such like?

Thank you.
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bassment is very near the railway station. Practically round the back.

I don't know about age restrictions, but as it has a licensed bar on the premises, I'm guessing that it may be over 18s/over 21s only.

Admission is just £4.00

All other info can be found by googling "Chelmsford Bassment" Wink
Speed Demon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
The Bassment is very near the railway station. Practically round the back.

I don't know about age restrictions, but as it has a licensed bar on the premises, I'm guessing that it may be over 18s/over 21s only.

Admission is just £4.00

All other info can be found by googling "Chelmsford Bassment" Wink

Pah! I tried Google, and all I came up with was a club claiming to play, "indie tunes, 60's beats & garage, french pop / bubblegum / northern soul and a splash of punk." So I don't think it is the same club. Anyways, thanks for the info. Blasted over 18/21 clubs Mad I don't even drink anyway.
dave...

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the same club, and it is over 18- they've taken to i.d.ing you if you don't look it because they've been told to 'clamp down'... having said that, the bouncers are quite funny and they're not particularly bothered. Hope that helps. Very Happy
Speed Demon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dave... I take it that there's not always good music on there then?
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one. It's just a venue, SD. Don't judge it on what it advertises playing. It's a small cosy bar and performance area, not even the size of a Harvester pub.

There's a big student crowd in chelmsford, and like Dave says, the bouncers are decent enough and they're not wankers. They're just doing their job. Try and get in when a big student crowd go in. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: