Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Clip of Guthrie Searing in New Asia Album
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip of Guthrie Searing in New Asia Album
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Mr C. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
BTW, does this guitar sound like a Les Paul or a Strat to you guys?

Sounds like a MK50 to me Wink

PCx

Mr. Paul C himself! Shocked Welcome!

Yes, those are the juicy tones of the might MK50 for sure. I was listening to Guthrie play that amp in the studio during the Asia sessions and couldn't believe the juicy yet tight tones that he had coming out through the studio monitors. Did Guthrie pretty much stick with MK50 for the entire album?

Hey Ed, Guthrie said he stuck with the MK for as far as I know the whole album, it was the sound that the Asia boys thought worked best in that context, but they did have one of everything in the Cornford range on loan from Andy Brauer's so there may be other stuff lurking somewhere in the mix, you could summarise Guthrie's gear amp wise as, Harly for recording Guthrie stuff in the UK at his own lavish studio Wink , Hellcat head and 4x12 would be the live choice for Guthrie music, MK50 and 4x12 for the Asia gig and Hurricane for the Bassment, but I think he would like to trade the Hurricane for a Hellcat combo for that gig?? maybe we should make this happen Cool

PC
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Mr. C:

How is the new Super Harley going? I absolutely love my current Harley but will probably swing for the newer one with the reverb and loop.

Thanks,
DB
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
Question for Mr. C:

How is the new Super Harley going? I absolutely love my current Harley but will probably swing for the newer one with the reverb and loop.

Thanks,
DB

Hi DB

The prototyping is pretty much done, it will just be finding the time to get it geared up for production, the new RK range has taken up most of this year so far but that is just about ready to roll, so super Harly next?? I would hope to have something for when we do NAMM and Tone Merch this coming January, don't hold me to it though Wink

PC
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
Mr C. wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
BTW, does this guitar sound like a Les Paul or a Strat to you guys?

Sounds like a MK50 to me Wink

PCx

Mr. Paul C himself! Shocked Welcome!

Yes, those are the juicy tones of the might MK50 for sure. I was listening to Guthrie play that amp in the studio during the Asia sessions and couldn't believe the juicy yet tight tones that he had coming out through the studio monitors. Did Guthrie pretty much stick with MK50 for the entire album?

Hey Ed, Guthrie said he stuck with the MK for as far as I know the whole album, it was the sound that the Asia boys thought worked best in that context, but they did have one of everything in the Cornford range on loan from Andy Brauer's so there may be other stuff lurking somewhere in the mix, you could summarise Guthrie's gear amp wise as, Harly for recording Guthrie stuff in the UK at his own lavish studio Wink , Hellcat head and 4x12 would be the live choice for Guthrie music, MK50 and 4x12 for the Asia gig and Hurricane for the Bassment, but I think he would like to trade the Hurricane for a Hellcat combo for that gig?? maybe we should make this happen Cool

PC

Hey Paul, I do think that the MK works best for the Asia gig. It has a focus and punch that will cut through the dense mix of Asia. The Hellcat is a more broad frequency range sort of an amp that will fill out the audio space better in a trio format. The Hurricane seems like the perfect amp for the Bassment gigs considering GG has the gain about half-way up and the master wide open.

I'm thinking the Hellcat half-stack will be the best for the TM gigs here in January, but we can switch the amps around and GG can A/B between the HC and the MK for the solo album set and then the Hurricane or the HC combo for the Fellowship set. It's cool how each amp fits GG's specific application. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Played

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that was great. Thank you. Smile
shredfusion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Clip, I not crazy about the tune but that solo.... Shocked Guthrie has so much feeling in his playing its incredible. thanks
Bode

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was beautiful...so exemplary of Mr. Govan's playing... Very Happy

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
thelordofcheesecake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the second coming, honestly.
Bode

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelordofcheesecake wrote:
He is the second coming, honestly.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Very Happy

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
splatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredfusion wrote:
Sweet Clip, I not crazy about the tune but that solo.... Shocked Guthrie has so much feeling in his playing its incredible. thanks

I agree totally. The tune isn't really my cup of tea, but his soloing is just glorious. I've just ordered the cd.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like a Les Paul to me. It doesn't sound like a strat with single coils either. If I had to guess I would guess it's a "super strat" like the drop top Suhrs I've seen him play. I could be wrong, but hey, that's my guess. I'm no expert. My second guess might be a PRS.

The solo builds and climaxes very well. Is that what everyone's going on about "the second coming"? (I can't picture they mean anything more serious than that). He did a good job composing that solo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: