Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Sense of Humor in Guthrie's Playing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sense of Humor in Guthrie's Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Sense of Humor in Guthrie's Playing Reply with quote

Guthrie's got a great witty sense of humor and it certainly shows in his playing. Well, being that he's a Zappa fanatic you know the sense of humor is going to seep into his music and playing, but he does it in a way that's sometimes wry and not overly intentional. Essentially, the humor seems to be off the cuff and wholly spontaneous - not planned out in advance like, "Well, let's see if I can make them laugh now."

The spontaneous use of quotes often has a sense of humor, but very often, even his own lines and compositions have that element that shows he's having fun and fun is what it's all about in the end - for himself and the listener as well. Sure there's a heavy dose of the serious side in Guthrie as well, but it's the sense of humor and the spontaneity which makes listening to or watching him such an enjoyable besides jaw-dropping experience.

I'd have to say that EVH was the first to show a playful sense of humor in virtuosic rock guitar playing. Satch and Vai took that a step further in their music and playing and now Guthrie carries on that tradition that seems to say: "It's Only Rock and Roll!" Mr. Green And make no mistake about it - Guthrie's a rocker and proudly so. Yeah, he loves jazz, classical, fusion, blues, country, progressive, World, metal and whatever else out there, but ultimately, he's a serious rocker who absorbs and assimilates them all, but he never forgets that it's also all about fun in the end...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he definitely has that sense of humour and "playfulness" which we've discussed before...

I really like that decending "minor second" double-stop chromatic run that he often does on the 2nd & 3rd strings, however he does sometimes "overplay" that lick at bit...

Cheers
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Yep, he definitely has that sense of humour and "playfulness" which we've discussed before...

I really like that decending "minor second" double-stop chromatic run that he often does on the 2nd & 3rd strings, however he does sometimes "overplay" that lick at bit...

Cheers

Yep, he does use that "device" a wee bit often here and there. It's pretty jagged sounding. Would you say that's the most jagged sounding interval when played with the root note?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's nice and "jagged", but definitely sounds humourous and quirky - I wonder if Guthrie listens to a lot of cartoon music???
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can tell that gg's sense of humor is spontaneous and not pre-conceived like that of so many other guys. and a lot of fusion guys (rock or jazz) wouldn't know what "sense of humor" is if it hit them over the head. Rolling Eyes
ohjimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect he lifted ideas for those minor 2nd runs from Cacophony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: