Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie the great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie the great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stupot

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Guthrie the great!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to be sitting within 10 feet of Guthrie on Saturday night 28/5/05 as he played at a gig at the Lakeside Moat House I can only discribe his player as mercurial, how many guitarist can still play whilst drinking a pint of Stella, it was mind blowing to say the least, you could hear the gasp from the audience when he did it.

My daughter Nina was lucky enough to be singing with the band with whom he was sitting in with (other members Zak Barrett, the Guthrie of the Saxophone to my mind and Simon Lowman(Drjazz) on keyboard excellant). I was lucky enough to be able to talk to Guthrie afterwards, how can somebody of such talent be so humble about it, I think that only adds to his personna. Cool

So here's to the next time Guthrie jams with the band and I am lucky enough to be there, I can hardly wait and nor can Nina as she was in awe of him before this gig, but as I said he is so humble about his talent and he made her feel special.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool deal! Cool

i saw gg four nights in a row at tone merchants in january and there's no one quite like him. i've about seen and heard them all and gg stands in a realm of his own. i love paul gilbert, greg howe, brett garsed, bumblefoot, mattias IA, lane, cooley, allan, gambale, dimeola, and so many other monster players, but gg stands out from the pack. as far as i'm concerned, gg towers above them all. not that he's technically any better than these masters, but because he's got that feel, the soul, the personality, the character, the mojo, the vibe, the attitude, the musicality and all that stuff that's undefinable.

guthrie simply RULEZ!!! can't wait to see him again. he is the most magical player i've seen to date and i've about seem 'em all.
stupot

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guthrie is even better than Clapton the supposed Godfather of the guitar, although my friends who havn't really heard GG play don't agree, but I will convert them. Rolling Eyes
RD

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Clapton would be so hot if he wouldn't have singing in his music...

He has composed very nice songs though; I mean, he does deserve respect.

People just shouldn't exaggerate. Especially when most of them don't have a clue of what can be done with a guitar...
stupot

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect Clapton as a musician, just don't think he is in the same class as GG Smile
dave...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that moat house going to become a semi-permanent arrangement or was that a one-off? was nina the girl I saw sing with guthrie and a friend at Hot House in chelmsford?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing GG and Clapton is like comparing apples and oranges.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Clapton is certainly one of Guthrie's faves. Jimi and Clapton were two of Guthrie's earliest influences. He learned all the Beatles songs as well before he was 10. Guthrie didn't start out trying to be Yngwie or Vai and I think that's one of the reasons he's so well-grounded in the fundamentals and has tone and feel that a lot of technical players just don't seem to have.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
stupot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nina is not the girl who was with Guthrie at Chelmsford that was prossibly Clair Harper Question and no the Moat House is not a semi permenant gig it was a one off, it was a 40th birthday party and GG sat in with Zak and Simon as he often does if he is not elseware.

Nina is actually the 16 year old vocalist for the Thurrock Youth Jazz Orchestra and she also gigs with Zak and Simon at places like Club Riga and at loads of Thurrock Council Functions. She has also solo'd at The London Palladium and the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane amongst others, she is destined to be a star of the future Exclamation

I knew comparing GG to Clapton would cause intense discussion after all that is what this site is about is it not Question
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupot wrote:

I knew comparing GG to Clapton would cause intense discussion after all that is what this site is about is it not Question

I'm sure Guthrie would be flattered just to be compared to an icon like Clapton. Guthrie got as much from players such as Clapton, Jimi, JB, Rory Gallagher, and SRV as he did from Yngwie, Vai, Holdsworth, Howe and Lane.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Sgt Baker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what makes Guthrie so special is his musical versatility. A guy like Holdsworth is great at what he does. George Benson, Pat Martino, Tommy Emmanuel, Satriani, and Vai are all the same way, great at what they do. As good as they are however, none of them can play every style of music with such perfection as Guthrie does.

I have never heard another guitarist who may be the best player in every single musical cateogory. On the DVD, Guthrie plays the best taps I've ever heard, the fastest I've ever heard, the best chickin pickin I've ever heard, and he rivals all of the great jazz players too, not to metion he smokes the blues as well.

I really can't wait for his album. It is going to rule!!!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Baker wrote:
I think what makes Guthrie so special is his musical versatility. A guy like Holdsworth is great at what he does. George Benson, Pat Martino, Tommy Emmanuel, Satriani, and Vai are all the same way, great at what they do. As good as they are however, none of them can play every style of music with such perfection as Guthrie does.

I have never heard another guitarist who may be the best player in every single musical cateogory. On the DVD, Guthrie plays the best taps I've ever heard, the fastest I've ever heard, the best chickin pickin I've ever heard, and he rivals all of the great jazz players too, not to metion he smokes the blues as well.

I really can't wait for his album. It is going to rule!!!!!

Posts like these freak Guthrie out and probably keeps him away from this forum! Embarassed Believe me, he'll politely disagree with you and say that he simply tries. Laughing

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the "best" in every single musical category as I don't believe there is such a thing as a best anyway. I think he's world class in every style he puts his mind to playing, but "best" may be taking it to far. It's all subjective anyway. Let's just say that he's extremely good at all of those styles and techniques, etc. Wink

Yeah, this album is going to be awesome - when it finally comes out... Come on, Guthrie, get it out and start working on a new one! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
stupot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that Guthrie is bemused by all the fuss about his playing, he just likes to play in whatever genre he wishes and enjoy it Very Happy
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ed hit the nail on the head by saying that Guthrie is "well-grounded in the fundamentals".

He's got the tone and feel as well as the technique and musicianship...

Now, all he needs to do is swing his guitar round his back and play it with his teeth and then smash it into a million pieces at the end of a frenzied feedback outburst, and then he will have the "Wank Factor"!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at that Blackmore wanna-be Yngwie... Laughing

Cheers
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:

I think Ed hit the nail on the head by saying that Guthrie is "well-grounded in the fundamentals".

He's got the tone and feel as well as the technique and musicianship...

Now, all he needs to do is swing his guitar round his back and play it with his teeth and then smash it into a million pieces at the end of a frenzied feedback outburst, and then he will have the "Wank Factor"!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist a dig at that Blackmore wanna-be Yngwie... Laughing

Cheers

How about a fan on stage to blow his hair and beard back? Laughing

Seriously speaking, I belive getting grounded in players like Jimi, SRV, JB, and Eric is as important as knowing the scales and improving one's speed and technique.

You know, another thing that stands out about Guthrie is how great he sounds playing at medium speed. With a lot of guys it's all-out speed then they break it up with really slow ballad playing and things like that but they would never play at in-between speeds. And I'm talking about solos - like a lot of Guthrie's solos on the Fellowship live stuff like "Headin' Home". It's not very fast but is harmonically difficult and there's still a lot going on.

That's another aspect that's noteworthy: from slow to super fast and all speeds in between...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: