Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Dream Theater Album - Octavarium
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Dream Theater Album - Octavarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: New Dream Theater Album - Octavarium Reply with quote

I gave up on DT a while back but I'm reading good reviews from others who had gotten tired of what they had to offer. Seems that this one's a winner but I'll have to give it a few runs to decide. Ordered used copies of Vai and Satch's latest offerings as well from Amazon... Decided I need to catch up on the stuff from the name guys even if they don't really float my boat that much anymore...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to DT in a long time. The last DT album that held my interest was Scenes from a Memory. I couldn't get into their newer stuff at all.

But I'm looking forward to your thoughts and opinion on Octavarium. If you recommend it, I'll check it out. Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend it - so buy mine! Laughing

It's alright and I think LaBrie's singing is better than I've heard of him in the past, but DT and I just don't mix. But I can see why DT fans think this is one of their best efforts in a long time. I was somewhat disappointed in the overall production. For me, the songs don't really connect and the lyrics I find embarrassing to follow. But, hey, that's just me...

Just gave Vai's latest and Satch's latest (used copies I bought off Amazon) a run as well. All I can say is - "At least the collection for both is complete again." Nice and interesting moments here and there, but neither really moves me anymore. Although I often enjoy Vai's playing more than Satch's, I always like Satch's tunes and his down-to-earth approach and attitude much more. Even when I was a big Vai fan, there was always this distance that I felt in his music and playing and I could never totally warm up to him. Everything with him just sounds so preconceived and cerebral. To me, anyways...

I still have much admiration for both and they're great players and musicians, but I've moved on... For me, it's Guthrie, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, still Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and, of course, still Jimi... Still love Allan, Scott, Sco, and EJ, although I can only take them in little bits and pieces.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, DT's has been losing their appeal on me as each album passes, so my expectations for this new one hasn't been very high. Yeah, their lyrics have always been quite lame but at least the compositions of their earlier works sounded very musical and organic, I think. Their newer stuff feels less so and I haven't felt that same connection I once had when I first listened to I&W and Awake.

I guess I'll pass on Octavarium for now, esp. since I bought other more interesting CDs recently (Garbage, Tori Amos..etc.).

As for Vai and Satch, my feelings towards Vai has been on a constant up and down. He's a great musician and I respect the hell out of him but sometimes he puts himself at a certain zone that I just can't get. And despite all his pretentious meanderings and weird experimentations, he still doesn't seem to dig any deeper musically.

On the other hand, I will always love Satch. Sure, he's not as mindblowing as Guthrie, Garsed or Howe but he delivers a solid album everytime that's listenable and accessible throughout. Plus, the production quality of his recent albums have been great, which really adds to the experience.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Sadly, DT's has been losing their appeal on me as each album passes, so my expectations for this new one hasn't been very high. Yeah, their lyrics have always been quite lame but at least the compositions of their earlier works sounded very musical and organic, I think. Their newer stuff feels less so and I haven't felt that same connection I once had when I first listened to I&W and Awake.

I guess I'll pass on Octavarium for now, esp. since I bought other more interesting CDs recently (Garbage, Tori Amos..etc.).

As for Vai and Satch, my feelings towards Vai has been on a constant up and down. He's a great musician and I respect the hell out of him but sometimes he puts himself at a certain zone that I just can't get. And despite all his pretentious meanderings and weird experimentations, he still doesn't seem to dig any deeper musically.

On the other hand, I will always love Satch. Sure, he's not as mindblowing as Guthrie, Garsed or Howe but he delivers a solid album everytime that's listenable and accessible throughout. Plus, the production quality of his recent albums have been great, which really adds to the experience.

You and I must have kindred spirits with same musical tastes and perceptions! Wink

I like Satch's "Is There Love in Space?" I just can't say the same for Vai's latest offering. There's definitely a lot more involving stuff going on Vai's stuff, but to me, Satch's stuff has more heart and feel although it's become very predictable. Vai goes off on the tangent, but you still know where he's going and, to me, it's like, "C'mon, Steve... You took me there before and I didn't really care for it." With Joe, it's: "You took me there before and it was pleasant enough, so I'll go there with you again."

As for DT, it'd be cool if they dropped JLB and just did an instrumental album for a change. Still, I just can't say that I'm really a fan of Petrucci's style of playing. I respect him a whole bunch and the rest of the band, but they just don't do it for me despite repeated tries to really get into what they're doing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just my opinion, but i think vai peaked with ALS. it's been downhill ever since. as for satch, i kinda put him in the realm of guys like robben ford and carlos santana. nothing new but enough followers who'll buy new albums up over and over again.

used to love dt. but they've grown stale as well. oactavarium is okay. they've done better for sure. it's sad to see artists and bands trying so desperately to hold onto their fan base instead of really pushing their music artistcially...
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Evolve, others just Revolve, the rest simply Dissolve...

Rolling Eyes
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Some Evolve, others just Revolve, the rest simply Dissolve...

Rolling Eyes

Good one! Laughing I'll have to remember that one. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... maybe I should be in Marketing!!! If you use it, don't forget to give me royalties (Paypal works fine)!

Cool
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

You and I must have kindred spirits with same musical tastes and perceptions! Wink

hehe Wink

yeah, that'd be cool if they did an all instrumental album but they might as well call all it Liquid Tension Experiment 3 Laughing
kabuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Scenes From a Memorized Solo"

Can't really add much more Laughing
FRETPICK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: JOHN PETRUCCI Reply with quote

HAY JP ROCK'S ALWAYS HAS ALWAYS WILL!
COOL! Razz
James W

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I still have much admiration for both and they're great players and musicians, but I've moved on... For me, it's Guthrie, Greg Howe, Brett Garsed, still Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and, of course, still Jimi... Still love Allan, Scott, Sco, and EJ, although I can only take them in little bits and pieces.

Ditto.

I've been going through a bit of an AH obsession at the moment - his chord progressions, or should I say 'changes' sound out of this world, to me he's a total original.

I always used to prefer Vai to Satch, but now, I can't listen to any guitar playing unless it's improvised to some degree (with the exception of classical music of course) and I'm beginning to hate Vai's perfectionism...

Maybe its from listening to so much jazz and jazz-fusion, but improv, for me, is mandatory to keep it interesting on electric guitar.
treeduck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this album and the last. I know some people didn't like Train of Thought but it worked for me from the word go. I actually prefer Petrucci's rhythm playing to his lead stuff these days and I just take these albums for what they are: good solid progressive hard rock albums...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: