Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Strings and set-up
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strings and set-up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Blue Steel 10s. I used 9s for a while but there wasn't enough resistance on the high E for my liking...
jason_m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Fender Stainless Bullets- 008, .011, .014, .024, .032, .046 and 1.5mm Dunlop Delrin picks. These gauges work well with the scalloped necks on my YJMs; both Joe Stump and Yngwie use them.
lucky13sp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use ernie ball .10-.52 on my SG copies, it allows me to have beautiful crunch on the low strings and yet it still allows me to solo easiliy, the best of both worlds Smile

im thinking of switching to 11-48 ernie balls because the .10 .13 .17 seem too small, i want something that fights against my fingers when i try to bend it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd wax lyrical here about how good my Ibby feels after having a string change last night and a good lemon-oil of the fretboard. The guitar has been round the block a few times now - it's from 1990, and was owned by Trelloskilos before he kindly gave it to me - and has the best neck I've ever played on any guitar (I sanded the lacquer away and gave it a coat of Danish Oil - fast, smooth and slinky).

It's wonderful now - so slinky to play it almost feels like it's not there. Life is good. Very Happy
James W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ernie ball 9s.

My action is really quite high. I played on a friend's guitar the other day which had a very low action and that allowed me to play legato faster and smoother (especially left hand tapping) without warming up at all.

I intend to go and get a very low action soon (even my classical guitar has a lower action than my electric!)

... Love James XXX
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 9s and my action is insanely low. Even my Taylor has low-action almost as low as my Ibanez even Twisted Evil I can't handle high action and heavy gauge strings....I'm not a manly stud like Richie Kotzen...hehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: