Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie - Most Impressive Since...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie - Most Impressive Since...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Guthrie - Most Impressive Since... Reply with quote

I continue to get a lot of emails about Guthrie as new fans continually come aboard checking out the video clips on the TM site and ordering the DVDs at a rate of 3 per day. Pretty cool! Cool

Once these noobies get the DVDs, some of them send me emails telling me how blown away they're are and that they haven't been so impressed since...

EVH
SRV
Yngwie
Satch
Vai
EJ
Shawn Lane

Pretty good company there!

For me, there have been many impressive moments of discovering new artists, hearing new albums, and seeing someone live for the first time. For me, here are some examples:

Friday Night in San Francisco - McLaughlin, DiMeola, DeLucia
Alcatrazz Live in Japan 1984 Laser Video Disc featuring Yngwie
Rising Force album by Yngwie in 1984
Edge of Insanity by Tony MacAlpine in 1985 or 1986
Hearing Allan Holdsworth's Metal Fatigue for the first time in 1986
Seeing Pat Metheny live for the first time in 1986
Surfing with the Alien by Satch in 1987
Passion and Warfare by Vai in 1991
Praxis: Transmutation featuring Buckethead in 1992
Centrifugal Funk featuring Shawn Lane and Brett Garsed in 1992

So for me, Guthrie would be the most impressive new artist I discovered since Lane and Garsed. But as far as impact, I'd say it'd have to be since seeing and hearing Yngwie for the first time in '84.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... 3 DVD's per day... that's quite a ground swell!

I would have to agree with most of your list too, Ed. That Rising Force album was just mind blowing for me, as well as DiMeola et al.

I think we must be of a similar age. I do remember being blown away by SRV playing live at the Sydney Opera House. Talk about guitar heaven. There was one point during the gig when he was playing Jimi's "Third Stone From The Sun" and he was literally straddling the guitar like it was a live snake on the ground... venom flying everywhere!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
Wow... 3 DVD's per day... that's quite a ground swell!

I would have to agree with most of your list too, Ed. That Rising Force album was just mind blowing for me, as well as DiMeola et al.

I think we must be of a similar age. I do remember being blown away by SRV playing live at the Sydney Opera House. Talk about guitar heaven. There was one point during the gig when he was playing Jimi's "Third Stone From The Sun" and he was literally straddling the guitar like it was a live snake on the ground... venom flying everywhere!!!

Actually, it's more like 6 DVDs per day since all the newbies want both the clinic DVD from last year and the Jan 19 live show DVD.

I just turned 40 and I've been into great players since the late-70's or so. Blackmore and Steve Howe were early favorites of mine. Then I became a DiMeola freak which introduced me to jazz/fusion players like McLaughlin and Holdsworth. But I really started missing the intensity of rock but didn't think any of the rock guys could really keep up with DiMeola. Well, Yngwie certainly changed that! Shocked

SRV's "Live at El Macombo" video was absolutely awesome. I'd recommend that to every guitar fan out there who haven't seen it yet. Honorable mention certainly goes out to EVH for VH1 and "Eruption". It was really trippy listening to that for the very first time back in the late-70's.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm nearly 38...

Blackmore was definitely my first influence, with heavy doses of Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Beck. I think I own nearly every edition of Guitar Player magazine through the 80's (Hmmm... maybe they are worth something?). I remember one of my buddies giving me a second hand copy of a Guitar Player magazine that he picked up at a local fete for about 10 cents and it had Blackmore on the cover. I used to read those mags from cover to cover!

Actually, the first time I heard Vai was on the first release of the "mini LP's" they used to include in Guitar Player. The first track was Vai's Attitude Song... nice!

Yeah, that first Van Halen ablum was also cracker!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
OK, I'm nearly 38...

Blackmore was definitely my first influence, with heavy doses of Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Beck. I think I own nearly every edition of Guitar Player magazine through the 80's (Hmmm... maybe they are worth something?). I remember one of my buddies giving me a second hand copy of a Guitar Player magazine that he picked up at a local fete for about 10 cents and it had Blackmore on the cover. I used to read those mags from cover to cover!

Actually, the first time I heard Vai was on the first release of the "mini LP's" they used to include in Guitar Player. The first track was Vai's Attitude Song... nice!

Yeah, that first Van Halen ablum was also cracker!

Yeah, I still take in heavy doses of Jimi and Jeff Beck. Still love the old Bluesbreaker album, the Cream stuff, and Derek and the Dominos album featuring Eric. Still love Zeppelin... But I was absolutely infatuated with Blackmore for a good while - buying up everything by Deep Purple and Rainbow that I could find.

Yup, "The Attitude Song" was the first Vai song I ever heard. I was really into Yngwie and MacAlpine at the time, so his lines on that song sounded a bit disorienting to me at first, but I knew he was going to be big based on that and what I heard of his contributions to the second Alcatrazz studio album.

Ah, the memories of those days...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, guthrie is the most impressive since yngwie burst onto the scene in '84. there have surely been other very impressive guys since yngwie, but no one's had the impact on me since like guthrie has. guthrie is simply the most complete player i have ever seen.
ohjimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the first guitarist since Jason Becker got ill that made me want to get interested, start playing and practicing seriously again. I just really got stale doing my same old crap, and became very bored with most of the guitarists out there, they are either too jazzy and "heady" and no fun, too much wank and not enough substance and musicality, or just too predictable. GG is none of those. Very exciting indeed!
I find a lot of similar things between Becker and GG, mostly, that they have fun, they play in-and-out of scales and maintain the coolness factor which can get tricky with too much of that stuff. GG is no doubt beyond where Becker stopped, at least chops-wise, but I can't help but think Becker would have been a very similar sounding player today if not even scarier had he not got sick. What a duo would that be Shocked Thanks to those of you who spoke of GG on HC forums I'm finally excited about playing again! Laughing
RD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened exactly to Becker? And is he still alive or did he passed away??
ohjimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becker is still with us as far as I know.
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is still with us and he still composes music. Very Happy

And I just ordered both my DVDs! YAY! I am excited.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreciousPeaches wrote:
He is still with us and he still composes music. Very Happy

And I just ordered both my DVDs! YAY! I am excited.

Oh, that was you who ordered yesterday! Smile

I thought that you were a mother or a sister buying the DVDs for a son or a brother! Laughing I've had plenty of ladies calling in that manner.

You will get 'em soon! Please spread the word amongst your friends! It'd be great if we could get more women into what Guthrie is doing as what he's doing isn't just music for the male-dominated guitar freakdom.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just heard Guthrie (finally). I have to say that he's definitely one of those players that hearing for the first time is a landmark event in my life. Someone was talking about the old GP magazine "sound sheets". I still have a bunch of them-- a few of which were my first exposure to players like Vai, Satch, Kotzen, MacAlpine, Firkins & Vinnie Moore. My first conscious exposure to Holdsworth was the solo on UK's In the Dead of Night, although I have to admit to attending a Ponty concert in '76 which included both Daryl Stuermer and Holdsworth on guitar. Stuermer's playing was mixed way up front and his attack very staccato, so Holdsworth kind of faded back and blended with the synths. Later, when I listened to Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean, Holdsworth's solos were awesome. But In the Dead of Night is when I woke up (good pun huh).

Last night, I saw & heard Govan for the first time, on the Cornford demo clips. Still have goose bumps.

That's what keeps this Guitar Trek life boldly going where no guitarist has gone before. Guthrie Govan is recharging my dilithium crystals.
thinline72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I saw Mike Stern in a little club in Seattle in the early 90's.
Dennis Chambers on drums.

That was an impressive experience.
treeduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie is the first guitarist to blow me totally away since Shawn and Brett. Before that back in the 80s it was Satriani, Holdsworth, EJ, Vai, Malmsteen and before that EVH, in other words pretty much the same as all you guys... But this is the first time I've been there literally before the "explosion" exciting stuff!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
Guthrie is the first guitarist to blow me totally away since Shawn and Brett. Before that back in the 80s it was Satriani, Holdsworth, EJ, Vai, Malmsteen and before that EVH, in other words pretty much the same as all you guys... But this is the first time I've been there literally before the "explosion" exciting stuff!!

Yeah, man, we'll be hip and envied 10 years from now because we were into Guthrie before his first album came out! Laughing I hear or read stories about people knowing about Jimi and EVH before they burst onto the scene and I always thought, "Man, how cool is that? I wonder if I'll ever experience anything like that?" Well, I'm wondering no more! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: