Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Question: When did he start playing guitar?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: When did he start playing guitar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Question: When did he start playing guitar? Reply with quote

And did he ever play any other instruments? Did you ever have lessons or study music as in theory and such?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie started playing when he was 3. I guess he can't remember the time when the guitar wasn't part of his life.

Seems he's an expert on string instruments: the bass and I hear that he also played the violin for a good while - no wonder he has such perfect intonation on the fretless guitar! Shocked

I think Guthrie is mainly self-taught. But since teaching has been big part of his life (taught for many years at the Academy of Contemporary Music and is now teaching at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music) and he has written two instructional books, yes, he is thoroughly grounded in theory and all the acedemia of playing the guitar and making music.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 yrs old? I was tap dancing at two, but then I quit because I wanted to pretend I was having tea parties and all! lol. Wow.

Thanks for the answer.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreciousPeaches wrote:
3 yrs old? I was tap dancing at two, but then I quit because I wanted to pretend I was having tea parties and all! lol. Wow.

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, that's rather amazing. I can't even get my 5-year-old boy to press down on a string on a fret and pluck it.

Hey, can we assume that you're most likely the first female member of this forum? Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, can we assume that you're most likely the first female member of this forum?

YAY!!! Very Happy Well, hello, guys....lol.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreciousPeaches wrote:
Quote:
Hey, can we assume that you're most likely the first female member of this forum?

hey, this is really cool! Cool but i knew it was just a matter of time. gg's got the cool chops and the melodies to appeal to the ladies for sure. i bet there are many more but i'm pretty sure you're the first one posting here. welcome! Very Happy btw, who else are you into as far as guitar players are concerned?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreciousPeaches wrote:
Quote:

Hey, welcome to the wonderful and demented world of Guthrie! Laughing

I sort of figured with your screen name, but I thought, "Well, I suppose it's possible for a guy to like peaches a lot!" Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
James W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO that's verrry cool...

WELCOME TO WACKO LAND!

... Love James XXX
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha thanks! Everyone.

Well, I'm a newbie to guitar playing and actually paying real close attention them. Let's see, so far...I do listen to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Slash (He was my favorite when I was lil' prolly the only one I could name back then) Paul Gilbert ( I actually wanted a guitar once I saw him on tape), and now Bumblefoot, some Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen, Stanley Jordan, Tuck Andress, John Petrucci, Charlie Hunter, etc...I am probably forgetting so many people. Edit: I did, I listen to John Mayer as well. He's very Stevie Ray Vaughnish.

Alex - I understand. I did have someone on the Racer X forum hoping that I was a girl, because I commented on some male guitarist's looks lol!
Ethel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Firtly, Hello !! Reply with quote

To cut a long story short, I went to the same school in Chelmsford that Guthrie went to (I was a year or two ahead of him) and I still recall his performance in the inter-house music competition. I think he was playing with his father and younger brother. He played Purple Haze one year and I can't for the life of me remember what he played in the other competition.

What I do remember is people being stunned by his performance and it's something that sticks in my mind some 16 or 17 years later.

I've been searching around for info about Guthrie's career because it was clear back then he was destined for impressive things but my inability to remember how his name was spelt rather hampered my search.... Embarassed

Anyway, more by luck than judgement, I stumbled onto this site and I'm really rather glad I did Smile
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've quite a few Kegs people on here Wink past and present.

Was that the competition where Seth's arm was in plaster? The guy who told me about that about 11 years ago said the other piece was classical and played on the violin, but he liked to elaborate a bit Wink

I have the power!
chelmsford123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Firtly, Hello !! Reply with quote

Ethel wrote:
To cut a long story short, I went to the same school in Chelmsford that Guthrie went to (I was a year or two ahead of him) and I still recall his performance in the inter-house music competition. I think he was playing with his father and younger brother. He played Purple Haze one year and I can't for the life of me remember what he played in the other competition.

It was Autumn Lords by Tony MacAlpine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: