Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's tone on his cover of Manhattan. AMAZING!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's tone on his cover of Manhattan. AMAZING!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Guthrie's tone on his cover of Manhattan. AMAZING! Reply with quote

http://www.online-discussion.com/GuthrieGovan/Photos/GT_Manhattan.mp3

I don't know much about guthrie's gear like some of you might, so I'm asking WHAT I need to look into to get a similar tone to his on this song.

What amp he's using would be helpful, but what effects he is using would be REALLY helpful. I'm not really good w/ effects, but I can hear some delay in there, and that's about all I know. I've got a Laney VH100R and I think I could get similar tones out of it if I had the right effects.

Thanks!

Jared
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jared,

I assume that you're talking about his lead tone? I'm sure he's using a Cornford of some sort. My guess is that it's the little 6w Harlequin cranked to the max and the guitar is probably his Tokai Strat-copy. He's got some echo in there and maybe he has an overdrive pedal to kick the front end of the amp harder, but I can assure you that Guthrie's going to sound like that through all kinds of gear.

He really listened to and absorbed what EJ was doing. I think the tone is not so much in the gear or even the hands, but from the mind of the player and that gets translated into the way he picks and frets and squeezes the strings with his hands. I think if you really sat down and worked on the nuances of his playing, his touch, his attack with the pick, the way he sustains every note, etc., you can get very close to it with what you have.

If you look at EJ's rig or even Guthrie's rig, the stuff is fairly standard. Some chorus and a little slapback with a hint of compression for the clean, maybe an overdrive pedal into the amp with a bit of post-distortion echo/delay and that's really about it. The lead sound has a lot of mids on the amp tone with the treble rolled back somewhat. The guitar is definitely a Strat with single-coils and that coupled with fat mids on the amp will give you a lead tone that you're hearing on this clip.

Hope this helps! But remember, it really is in your mindset and then in your hands. The gear only translates what your brain and your fingers are doing.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Dolman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I think your right about the mind-tone thing.

Just the other day I realised that Guthrie's tone and style on this song remind me SO much of Shawn Lane's tone and style on Powers of Ten. (which is DEFINITELY an awesome thing, imo)

Thanks for the reply
swampthang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats funny tho cos eric definately used his 335 for this song.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Im gonna be an incredible geek for this one if you dont mind. This is what it says exactly in the Mag it was transcribed:

"For the GTcd version we used the moderatly authentic combination of Phil's ubiqitous Red Strat and a Marshall Studio 15 valve combo which was mic'ed using a Sure SM57 and set as follows:

Gain 3, Treb 3, Mid 4, Bass 10, Output 2

Overdrive was provided courtesy of a Marshall Guv'nor pedal set thus:

Gain 7, Bass 6, Mid 5, Treb 4, Level 5

On the signal processing front we used a TL Audio valve EQ to boost the signal around the 500 Hz mark. For that all-important ambience we added liberal doses of delay and reverb using a Lexican MPX-1"

Hope this helps you all, and answers your questions.

Cheers

Chris
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the setup. See, Guthrie used a fairly generic $500 set-up to get that tone. EJ's set-up (since most of it is vintage) must run into tens of thousands.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shows that no matter what gear you have, if you can play the guitar well you dont need to spend thousands on gear!
Dolman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the info guys! Smile
UncleFester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tone but not even close to EJ's IMO

of course with a guvnor you'll never get the sweetness of real vintage gear.

Last edited by UncleFester on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: