Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Picked up both of Guthries books.......
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picked up both of Guthries books.......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shredfiend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Picked up both of Guthries books....... Reply with quote

ordered them about a week and a half ago.

I read a lot of guitar books(I have a book case full of books, videos, and DVDs). Most of them are less then stellar.

But Guthries books are both fantastic and honestly full of info, licks, and ideas. I haven't read any of his Guitar Techniques colums(I believe that's who he writes for). But judging from the books he must be a great teacher.

A lot of the stuff in the books were things I already work with(caged, pentatonic boxes, traditional major scale fingerings and 3 note per string scale fingerings). But book 2 in particular appears to have some cool and fun things to work out. As a guitar instructor I also like to see different teaching styles for things I already teach because it gives me other perspectives and exercises to pass along to students.

1 other cool book I picked up lately was the book written by John Petrucci. I forget the name but it is easily 10x better than his instructional video.

I really wish Shawn Lane would of had a chance to put out a book or 2 like Guthrie has here. I really would have like to have heard him discuss his playing and method more so than he did in his videos. I'd also love to see someone like Greg Howe produce a book or 2 breaking down his style in depth.......not fussing....it's just that I really dig their playing.
sj_sparks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petricci book is probably Wild Stringdom, and I agree- the video/DVD is impressive but does not really pass on as much useful information as GG's books; more of a showcase for John Petrucci's shred abilities.
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation Shredfiend. I've ordered them too!

I feel like I'm in a guitar rut but I've thrown myself at music theory as a means of getting out of it. I've had some success but not as much as I'd hoped since most theory is aimed at piano or classical music. Theory has 'opened my eyes' a lot but not in the way I wanted.

Anyway, I'll throw myself at these books and see what happens!
AuntNastyOven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if im not mistaken i do believe greg howe has a video out
Bates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished Book 1. Its great. Guthrie gives you the Info and then chalenges you to use it yourself. Fantastic. I have made so much progress with this book.

Book 2 is more based on getting the Fingers up to Speed by the looks of it so tomorow will be the start of some serious finger workouts Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm an IT geek so I love my books (usually O'Reilly) so when it comes to books on guitar I'm pretty picky too.

My Guthrie books sit with these fellows, and rightly so I think Wink

Ted Greene (all of em Wink)
Satriani's Guitar Secrets.
Alan Demause (a fair few)
Wayne Krantz - Improvisers OS
Bret Wilmots - Harmonic Extensions
Mick Goodrick - Advancing Guitarist
Al Di Meola - Al Di Meola's Picking Techniques
Most of the various MIT book.
and soon Tommy Tedesco's For Guitar Players Only
(I hope)

I have the power!
Alun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on with the Krantz book? I've heard varying reports on whether it's worth studying or not.

Cheers,
Alun
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was cathartic Laughing. After getting as "anti-patterns" as I thought was possible by just understanding the chromatic layout of CAGED patterns and having a strong sense of the notes on the fretboard.. this book flops on the map and really really upsets my world by relaying the kinda stuff I gave up in 92.. it lists all 2048 combinations of notes that can be applied to a key and then says play em all Wink there are some tips too.

I hate the way it's laid out, but I like reading real FAQs and if any IT FAQ was half as glib the site would be brought down in minutes and the author reduced to tears by big grumpy smelly geeks... however in this case it's just annoying but it's Wayne Krantze so he can be glib Wink

I took it in to show the lads at the local GAS Emporium and returned empty handed, but then Josh is a big Krantz fan and I told him he could buy his own Sad

After hating it with a passion for some time, I had a realisation while going to work and yes it is a brilliant book, it's just the lesson is rather limited but a blindingly good one, well worth the £12 it cost me. But I do warn that your mileage may vary..

Sheets of sounds looks like a good one Wink apparently

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
After hating it with a passion for some time, I had a realisation while going to work and yes it is a brilliant book, it's just the lesson is rather limited but a blindingly good one, well worth the £12 it cost me. But I do warn that your mileage may vary..

Told you so ... Cool

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=610

carnflab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered the second creative guitar after finding the first useful, although I already knew all the theory, it made it fresh again and gave me a push. Should I expect the same from the second book?
What other books should I get. I'm having trouble digesting jazz theory. I just want to be able to play fusiony jazz, like Garsed, Howe, Guthrie and them. I can throw in the odd outside note everynow and then but it doesnt cut it. Help me.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
frankus wrote:

Told you so ... Cool

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=610

Embarassed yes you did.. still that's me, I think it makes me a great person that I can whole-heartedly dislike something only to find out later I do like it Laughing, John5 is a case in point.. saw no merit to Vertigo first pass through, but there are some nice licks in there.

As for the 2nd creative guitar carnflab: it's all technique alternate picking, economy, legatto, tapping, multifingered tapping and beyond. Basically lots of fun stuff to just practise like a mindless guitar grunt but that'll improve your playing.. either by adding techniques or improving the experience.. perhaps an excellent respite/haven from the jazz fusion theory stuff, give another part of your brain a chance to chew on that while you focus on the mechanics Wink

I have the power!
carnflab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas of what books would help the jazz though? It takes 3 weeks shipping through amazon.com so I might aswell be ordering now.

Thanks
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What side of Jazz?

I have the power!
carnflab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sides are there?

frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I meant:

Do you want to learn standards

or

Do you want to learn single note improvisation

or

Do you want to learn chordal improvisation

The last two aren't really that different in my mind but most books tackle them seperately.

Jody Fisher does a load of books on Jazz.. beginner to advanced.
Don Mock has a book on Melodic Minor principals I want to get my mits on.
Ted Greene's books on chords Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions are good for chords. (the first for chord substitution principles, the latter for progressions)
The MIT book on soloing is pretty good for some jazz comments.

I've asked MrNis on the Guitarist forum for the name of a behemoth book of jazz theory he recommended but I was cowed by the price.

As for standards, now here I can help

I have 3 fake books in PDF format I think they each have around 200-300 tunes in, so they're pretty hefty. Interested?

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: