Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - guthrie's weird sounds???
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guthrie's weird sounds???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jones

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: guthrie's weird sounds??? Reply with quote

I've been watching the video's of guthrie's clinic at tonemerchants a lot...
and I notices that every time he plays the freaky stuff (slapping, en boomerang stuf) he mostly uses dat prs-like guitar with the nice sunburst (i think it's his briggs guitar). So I wondered why, does the briggs (atleast that's what i think it is) sound better for that kind of stuff?? Or am I wrong and is the suhr really the perfect guitar for al those stuff.
I also wondered what kind of coils guthrie has on his suhr (the one he uses the most, not the root beer). Zre does the DSV's or what?? cause i'm planning on bying me a suhr. I still got about 5 years to figure it out (i don't earn money that fast). butr i would really like a tone like guthrie's.
I mean a guitar witch you can play really nice jazz on (the way GG does is Wink ) + a guitar on witch you can shred like hell... I also wonder if you can split the coils on the suhr (if you have double coils) and would it be a good i do to make my neck pickup a nice alluminum plated humbucker and the bridgepickup some kind of dsv pickups (to shred with, if dsv's are good for that stuff) with a nice single coil in between (maube a V60) I know these are alot of questions, but i don't expect you to awnser them all emmediatley...
thanks
jonez
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar he used on the clinic DVD is a PRS Custom 24; it's not a Briggs. He played that PRS for around 10 years but is now in love with his two Suhr Standards and he advised me that the Suhrs are the only guitars that he's been playing. He even told me that his old beloved Gibson ES-335 has been in its case since he got the Suhrs.

There is nothing that the PRS can do that the Suhrs can't do better. He's absolutely enamored with the Mahogany Cherry Sunburst Suhr Standard and it is now his number one. My thoughts are that he feels it's a better Gibson meets Super Strat kind of a thing than the PRS or anything else out there. The Mahogany body with the Maple top and Mahogany neck with Rosewood board give it the traditional Gibson tonal character but the Strat scale length and bolt-on construction gives it more definition and openness with slicker playability.

Guthrie was so blown away when he first saw and picked up that Suhr this January. He literally took a step backwards as he was so stunned by its beauty. And when he picked it up and started playing it unplugged, a broad smile appeared on his face and he just couldn't put it down. Guthrie is keeping his old guitars as they have become like "old friends" (his words) to him, but for pushing forward, he knows in his heart that the Suhrs are his guitars of choice. Both Suhrs have the versatility (superb in both humbucking and single-coil modes) to carry him through the whole gig and cover the extensive sonic territories that he covers and, simply speaking, no other guitar plays and sounds like 'em.

He also has a Suhr Classic coming to him as he still needs a classic Strat with 3 single-coils. It'll have the new Silent Coil system (passive, not active) which eliminates the hum while keeping a true vintage single-coil sound. It'll have an Alder body with Maple neck and Indian Rosewood fingerboard. The finish will be Ocean Turquoise metallic which should contrast nicely with his Cherry Burst Standard and the Root Beer Standard. It'll simply be a Strat the way it should be. In the future, a Gibson-scale set-neck, a hollow-body archtop, a Tele, and even an acoustic from Suhr will surely make their way into Guthrie's hands. Whatever Guthrie needs to produce the ideal sounds that he envisions in his head, he will get! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the pickups, both of Guthrie's Suhr Standards have the DSH+ in the bridge position, V60LP in the middle, and the DSV in the neck. As you noticed on the Jan 19 '05 DVD, he switches between pickups constantly. This is how the pickups are wired:

He uses the middle setting of the two outside coils of the humbuckers for a quasi Tele-in-between sound on "Rhode Island Shred".
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'm sure about the suhr now...so I guess that when he plays the prs on the clinic for the boomerang stuff it was just coincidence...
about the pickups, Isn't it possible to use one coil in the neck position??
(with a hum-S.coil- hum configuration) and do you think it would be necessary to get an alluminum (or wathever it is fabricated of) plate on the neck pickups for a more jazzy humbucker sound... or do they already ound perfect without one???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: