Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Doing Clinic at GIT on July 26
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Doing Clinic at GIT on July 26
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Guthrie Doing Clinic at GIT on July 26 Reply with quote

Looks like Guthrie will use a day off in California during the Asia tour to astonish the GIT crowd:

http://www.mi.edu/contentmanager/events/detail.php?id=193
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Charismatetsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup~ my jaw dropped when I saw that annoucement a couple weeks ago in school and I started calling friends...cuz I was really excited!! I saw him played live in TM once, and was totally amazed by his skill & creativity. It's possible for us to purchase those clinic videos, I will see if i can get a copy of that. I really can't wait!
M@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT profile of Guthrie in the above link mentions he is the "author of three instructional books"...

I know Guthrie wrote Creative Guitar 1 & 2, what is the mystery third book, and what secrets are contained within???

Cheers
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@ wrote:
The GIT profile of Guthrie in the above link mentions he is the "author of three instructional books"...

I know Guthrie wrote Creative Guitar 1 & 2, what is the mystery third book, and what secrets are contained within???

Cheers

I have a feeling that's a mistake. There's Creative Guitar 3 but it wasn't written by Guthrie. It's written by Phil Hilborne, I believe, and it's about effects usage and things like that - textures, etc. I think GIT just assumed that Guthrie authored the whole series.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get down there Ed and tell him to just release his album now, today, raw and ready we don't care anymore just unleash the monster and we'll all lap it up!!! Very Happy
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good place for a show, from what I remember when I attended in 1987-88. I imagine it's only gotten better since then. They're also totally wired to record video/audio. Will there be any forthcoming release of the clinic/session?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
Get down there Ed and tell him to just release his album now, today, raw and ready we don't care anymore just unleash the monster and we'll all lap it up!!! Very Happy

I'll see him on July 24 at the Coach House for the Asia gig, so I'll get on his case about the album, but I know what his response is going to be: "It'll come out when it's finished." Wink

Anyone know what time the Guthrie clinic at GIT is going to be?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
Good place for a show, from what I remember when I attended in 1987-88. I imagine it's only gotten better since then. They're also totally wired to record video/audio. Will there be any forthcoming release of the clinic/session?

I'm sure it'll be recorded. I do hope a DVD is made. I'd imagine that he'll be playing to backing tracks, but that'd still be cool.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Charismatetsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
I will go check the time when I go to school on Monday.

Also, the show, for sure, will be taped as MI tapes every clinic, concert, and performance. I can also purchase the video, but i don't know if it's legal for distributtion.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kickass.....which I was there.
kanak1911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping my brother, living in Hollywood now, would be able to attend as he is a graduate of the MI in the percussion school. When I spoke to him this week about attending the gig, he said that the school doesn't let anyone, even graduates, attend the clinics. I guess he went to get a alumnis pass and was told all the insane restrictions. He was quite pissed off, after all the money spent attending the school, to say the least.

It would be awesome if Ed or some representative would be allowed to video the event for us Cool Cool Would that be a possibility Ed?
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanak1911 wrote:
I was hoping my brother, living in Hollywood now, would be able to attend as he is a graduate of the MI in the percussion school. When I spoke to him this week about attending the gig, he said that the school doesn't let anyone, even graduates, attend the clinics. I guess he went to get a alumnis pass and was told all the insane restrictions. He was quite pissed off, after all the money spent attending the school, to say the least.

It's a good school, or it was when I went. There was nothing like walking down the hall and seeing Scott Henderson, then Joe Diorio, then Jeff Berlin, and then Paul Gilbert sitting in rooms and jamming with a team of students of varying skill levels. And I'm not talking about every once in a while, or once while I was there. I'm talking like every day...or at least several times a week.

But don't be fooled, they're all about the money. I'm not saying that's wrong, it's just what it is. My biggest complaint is that they accept anyone regardless of skill level. At the time I was way too green to get much out of it, and I think they should have told me so rather than take my money and let me figure it out. If I'd waited and gained 2-3 more years of playing experience, I would have gotten a lot more out of it.

If they film it, it should be pretty well done. I don't know their terms for releasing the stuff though....maybe Guthrie will fill Ed in on the details.
PreciousPeaches

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's so cool and that's the day of my birthday. I wish he would come to Berklee in Boston. Very Happy

GIT sounds a lot like Berklee. lol.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PreciousPeaches wrote:
Ah, that's so cool and that's the day of my birthday. I wish he would come to Berklee in Boston. Very Happy

GIT sounds a lot like Berklee. lol.

I work in IT and am currently working for a University in SE PA where I can take any class I want for free b/c I work here. But this place has no classes I'd really like to take. I'd _really_ love to go work for Berkelee, or any other school with a good music program, and take some free classes there. Now _that_ would be job satisfaction!

BTW, if you're close to Berkelee, you can take lessons with Tomo. That'd be sweet.
kanak1911

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
It's a good school, or it was when I went. There was nothing like walking down the hall and seeing Scott Henderson, then Joe Diorio, then Jeff Berlin, and then Paul Gilbert sitting in rooms and jamming with a team of students of varying skill levels. And I'm not talking about every once in a while, or once while I was there. I'm talking like every day...or at least several times a week.

But don't be fooled, they're all about the money. I'm not saying that's wrong, it's just what it is. My biggest complaint is that they accept anyone regardless of skill level. At the time I was way too green to get much out of it, and I think they should have told me so rather than take my money and let me figure it out. If I'd waited and gained 2-3 more years of playing experience, I would have gotten a lot more out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the MI is a great school. According to my brother, they just don't take such good care of their Alumnist. It's just like you stated, they are money driven. My brother was telling me that he can only go into the school after hours and can't borrow or check out anything from the library, go to clinics, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: