Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie and Jonas Hellborg
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie and Jonas Hellborg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treeduck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Guthrie and Jonas Hellborg Reply with quote

I was thinking about future projects for Guthrie and in the course of my ruminations I went from visions of possible new musical scenarios with star players from rock and jazz and other genres to the possibility of him joining an established group situation.

Then while listening to Lane/Hellborg/Sipe's Personae, I thought wouldn't it be a really great idea for Guthrie to do an album and maybe a tour with Jonas Hellborg. Guthrie I think you'll agree is one of the few players who could possibly step into the shoes of the legend that is Shawn Lane.

What does anyone else think?
Alun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!

Personae is one of my alltime favourites Very Happy

Alun
Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be great. As Bob would say, the torch has been passed...hehe. Personae.....def. one of my favorites Cool
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Guthrie could definitely fit in with a project like this. This is one aspect of his playing that none of us has really seen much of, but Guthrie has a lot of interest in the Indian raga and modal improvisations. Guthrie is a big fan of Lane and McLaughlin and looks up to them quite a bit. I saw Guthrie playing Indian raga kind of stuff on a fretless guitar and it was really, really cool.

With so many musical directions that Guthrie could take, I'm not sure where something like this would stand in Guthrie's list of musical priorities. There is the very experimental and progressive side of Guthrie that exists, but I'm not sure if that direction is what Guthrie would opt for when he's still basically trying to get started with his solo career.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering Ed what you thought of Hellborg's team up with Steve Topping and Gary Husband recently? That would've been interesting if they'd maybe been able to maybe tour for a longer period of time or perhaps record an album...
art

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, it seems Hellborg is teaming up with Mattias Eklundh for a few gigs in India.

Should be interesting! I Hope a recording and or DVD is made.

www.freakkitchen.com for more info
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeduck wrote:
I was wondering Ed what you thought of Hellborg's team up with Steve Topping and Gary Husband recently? That would've been interesting if they'd maybe been able to maybe tour for a longer period of time or perhaps record an album...

You know, I haven't been to up to date on what's going on in the progressive guitar/fusion scene lately. Not too familiar with Steve Topping although I've heard the name here and there. Obviously, he must be an incredible player to play with the likes of Jonas and Gary.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Guthrie if he's heard the Hellborg/Lane/Sipes stuff and he said only bits and pieces here and there. I guess some of the stuff he liked and some kind of eluded him and he's a huge Lane fan. I was kind of surprised that he hasn't heard "Temporal Analogues of Paradise", which, to me, is the quintessential Shawn. I'll have to send him a copy of that disc. That disc is Shawn at his most sublime as far as I'm concerned.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I asked Guthrie if he's heard the Hellborg/Lane/Sipes stuff and he said only bits and pieces here and there. I guess some of the stuff he liked and some kind of eluded him and he's a huge Lane fan. I was kind of surprised that he hasn't heard "Temporal Analogues of Paradise", which, to me, is the quintessential Shawn. I'll have to send him a copy of that disc. That disc is Shawn at his most sublime as far as I'm concerned.

I'd throw in Personae and Time is the Enemy as well Ed...
kanak1911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
..."Temporal Analogues of Paradise", which, to me, is the quintessential Shawn...That disc is Shawn at his most sublime as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree with Ed here. I love all of Shawn's stuff but "temporal" just has these grooves and melodies/harmonies that just flow Cool Cool
treeduck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanak1911 wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
..."Temporal Analogues of Paradise", which, to me, is the quintessential Shawn...That disc is Shawn at his most sublime as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree with Ed here. I love all of Shawn's stuff but "temporal" just has these grooves and melodies/harmonies that just flow Cool Cool

I love all those Hellborg/Lane albums...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: