Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Fellowship Live DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellowship Live DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Fellowship Live DVD Reply with quote

Okay, I've received the NTSC-compliant version from a friend who works at a video production company and it's ready for duplication, but I do need to let everyone know that the video quality of this footage is not anywhere close to that of the clinic DVD. It's pretty grainy and the lighting is rather dark. I'm not sure what kind of camera was used but I get the sense that perhaps it was an analog camcorder, so the successive conversions into digital seems to have degraded the video quality quite a bit.

It works on a regular DVD player attached to a TV, but the low resolution of most TV sets compared to computer displays doesn't make it a good viewing on it. It's best to view this DVD on the computer with high resolution but it's not good quality on the full screen mode. It'd be best at the normal (about 1/4 screen) resolution. The thing is it's certainly viewable and you can certainly see Guthrie's fingers fly up and down the fingerboard close-up. Also, there are 13 tracks and it's about 90 minutes long and the music is just great, so it's definitely worth getting.

It costs me about $5.35 per copy to get it duplicated in lots of 50. I can get it cheaper if I was to get the copies in larger lots, but I'd prefer to get 'em in quantities of 50 each. So, with the work involved in processing the orders, put it in a jewel case and pack to mail out, I'm charging $6 per copy plus $2 shipping and handling for the US and $3 for international orders. Ideally, Paypal is the easiest way to pay and you can send in the order information and the payment to:

tonemerchant@sbcglobal.net
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
kabuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fellowship Live DVD Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Okay, I've received the NTSC-compliant version from a friend who works at a video production company and it's ready for duplication, but I do need to let everyone know that the video quality of this footage is not anywhere close to that of the clinic DVD. It's pretty grainy and the lighting is rather dark. I'm not sure what kind of camera was used but I get the sense that perhaps it was an analog camcorder, so the successive conversions into digital seems to have degraded the video quality quite a bit.

It works on a regular DVD player attached to a TV, but the low resolution of most TV sets compared to computer displays doesn't make it a good viewing on it. It's best to view this DVD on the computer with high resolution but it's not good quality on the full screen mode. It'd be best at the normal (about 1/4 screen) resolution. The thing is it's certainly viewable and you can certainly see Guthrie's fingers fly up and down the fingerboard close-up. Also, there are 13 tracks and it's about 90 minutes long and the music is just great, so it's definitely worth getting.

It costs me about $5.35 per copy to get it duplicated in lots of 50. I can get it cheaper if I was to get the copies in larger lots, but I'd prefer to get 'em in quantities of 50 each. So, with the work involved in processing the orders, put it in a jewel case and pack to mail out, I'm charging $6 per copy plus $2 shipping and handling for the US and $3 for international orders. Ideally, Paypal is the easiest way to pay and you can send in the order information and the payment to:

tonemerchant@sbcglobal.net

I know what I'm ordering tonight Twisted Evil
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fellowship Live DVD Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:

Ya, ya, we all know: "Debbie Does Dishes VII"

But when you gonna order the DVD?
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fellowship Live DVD Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
kabuki wrote:

Ya, ya, we all know: "Debbie Does Dishes VII"

But when you gonna order the DVD?
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Edovinus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, is the dvd Region 2 compatible, like the clinic dvd?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edovinus wrote:
Ed, is the dvd Region 2 compatible, like the clinic dvd?

It's just like the clinic DVD and will play on any DVD player. I should have a bunch of copies done sometime this week.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the reworked "master" that's NTSC-compliant is at the duplicator and I'll get 50 copies in a few days. Order 'em while they're hot! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddabout the infinitely superior PAL version?

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Waddabout the infinitely superior PAL version?

You know, this whole NTSC, PAL, Region 2, Mac format, PC format stuff has been really frustrating and difficult to sort out. I've got a little mess of "guinea pig" DVD's right now that will play on this but not on that and vice versa. I've finally got a master of the Fellowship DVD that's just like the clinic DVD which plays on everything, so that's what's going out - I don't really care about what it is.

So without getting all geeky, what's the difference between NTSC and PAL?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTSC is the video system or standard used in North America and most of South America. In NTSC, 30 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 525 individual scan lines.

PAL is the predominant video system or standard mostly used overseas. In PAL, 25 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 625 individual scan lines.

The other MAJOR MAJOR difference is that NTSC is 4 letters while PAL is only 3 Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copies of the Fellowship Live DVD are in and I am now shipping them out to fill the backorders. As I said earlier, the video quality leaves something to be desired, but the playing is incredible and it's all pretty much close-up, so you get to see Guthrie's hands flying up and down pretty clearly throughout the video and the music is excellent with a good stereo mix. This will become a collector's item one day! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> What's New and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: