Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Instructional DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instructional DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Instructional DVD Reply with quote

I was in a music shop this morning and saw quite a few instructional DVDs showing you the style of, and why certain players sound so distinctive. Being a Steve Vai fan I looked at the Vai DVDs which turned out to be simple "learn to play these Vai tunes"-all of which were DLR-era as though nothing after this period was of interest! It amazes me that nobody has thought of dissecting Steve's playing style and provid a 'recipe' of distinctive things Vai does. Sure we know he likes the Lydian mode but there's little beyond that.

Why is this the case? Is his style so different it can't be quantified? Is Vai's style too complex to reduce down to certain stylistic tendencies?

Now I know Guthrie is one of the most able players in the world in terms of ability and understanding music theory and getting this stuff across to numpties like me in an understandable manner! Would he have any interest in filling this yawning gap in the market?
markmcg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Instructional DVD Reply with quote

Big Bad Bill wrote:
[color=blue]I was in a music shop this morning and saw quite a few instructional DVDs showing you the style of, and why certain players sound so distinctive. Being a Steve Vai fan I looked at the Vai DVDs which turned out to be simple "learn to play these Vai tunes"-all of which were DLR-era as though nothing after this period was of interest! It amazes me that nobody has thought of dissecting Steve's playing style and provid a 'recipe' of distinctive things Vai does. Sure we know he likes the Lydian mode but there's little beyond that.

Why is this the case? Is his style so different it can't be quantified? Is Vai's style too complex to reduce down to certain stylistic tendencies?

I know of a few books which analyze his songs and various licks, DLR era, P&W etc.

Personally being someone who has listened to alot of Vai I can recognize certain trademarks quirks/licks in his playing, though he continually evolves, so I wouldn't say it can't be quantified.

Maybe there has to be agreement on Vai's part for such a DVD/Video and , as he likes to have control on what is put out there, feels the quality wouldn't be right?

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
Big Bad Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe there has to be agreement on Vai's part for such a DVD/Video and , as he likes to have control on what is put out there, feels the quality wouldn't be right?

That could be the case. I'll ask Steve when he tours the UK in October!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: