Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Asia from theyre summer tour
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asia from theyre summer tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Asia from theyre summer tour Reply with quote

Hey, justed wanted to send in a line since this section has been quite quiet lately. I was lucky enough to see Guthrie playing with Asia this summer and believe me it was sheer luck. I was on a 3 month roadtrip with friends driving across America from coast to coast TO coast Smile stopping at relatives and playing a few random gigs here and there for food, motel rooms or even some money in the pocket Wink . Our trip had been completely random except we knew we had to find ourselves and buy a car, get our asses from NY to Seattle, Seattle to LA, LA to Vegas, Vegas to Texas and finaly to Orlando.

Being a registered member on this message board, i had seen the dates for the Asia tour and had thought before hand that it would be really cool to catch them somewhere on the west coast but it is amazing how 6 weeks in a wan with 4 other guys, sleeping ca. 5 out of 7 nights a week in the wan can make you forget Smile So you can imagine how excited i was when we arrived in LA and were driving down Hollywood blvd that i spotted an advertisment saying something like "Asia playing at the House of Blues" or something like that. I immediatly shouted in the wan "OK WERE GOING TO THAT CONCERT" but in icelandic "OK VIÐ ÆTLUM Á ÞESSA TÓNLEIKA" Wink . Anyway the next couple of days were spent relaxing in Hermosa Beach at a relative awayting the concert. Nobody of my friends had listened to Asia, i hadn´t for that matter but i knew Guthrie was playing so it didn´t matter that much to me, but convincing my friends to go was another thing Smile

I finally got everyone to go except our bassplayer who spent his night walking down Hollywood Blvd with a camera in his hand pointed at himself talking to himself and trying to get a chat with random people since we were documenting our trip for a tv station here in Iceland. The concert was incredible, they were one of the things that stood the most out from our trip and thats pretty much since we did and saw a lot of things during the 3 months we were in the states.

As you can imagine a "special" crowd gathered to the corner where Guthrie stood on the stage and theyre eyes were probably on the guitar during the whole show, i was one of them Smile I think it is incredible how well the band performed as a whole and especially Guthrie given that he can just step up and play with a band like Asia so easily and "fit in" so well. Of course every solo or note for that matter that came out of Guthries amp was amazing but the thing i remember the most was not a solo from his beloved Suhr guitar, it was a solo he played on an acoustic guitar which was on a stand, with his Suhr guitar quietly hangin in between him and his acoustic. You could see he really let himself go there and played furyously yet elegantly and everyones jaw dropped.

After the concert the band was signing autographs and i really wanted to talk to Guthrie but we unfortunatly had to leave. It´s needless to say that still today that show stands in my head as the most amazing concert i´ve been too, and if i were to see Asia playing again sometime in the future i would´nt hesitate for a second to go see them. Being a guitar player myself as probably everyone on this message board this show was a huge inspiration to me and probably everyone there. Just hope i can see them again in the near future Smile

Did anybody else see Asia this summer? Get your story out here Cool
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the post and the review. As I posted on another thread, I saw Guthrie with Asia in June. Yeah, the acoustic set was amazing. His picking chops on a Martin D-28 was mindblowing to say the least. Music was really good, too. The rest of the band are killer musicians and Guthrie genuinely enjoys playing with them. Here are some more pics from the tour. It seems these pics are from a date in Sweden back in March:

http://www.artrock.se/asia_live.htm
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This spring I had the opportunity to see Guthrie with Asia in Gothenburg Sweden, where I happen to live. And what did I do? I decided not to go! Stupid, stupid, stupid! I'm not really into Asia's music, but then again I'm always bragging about my generous attitude towards music and varied listening habits ... Why, why did I not go?

My girlfriend was working on a project at the same venue as they were playing, and I was even thinking of sneaking in for the soundcheck. Did I do that? No! When my girlfriend the day after told me she met this nice really hairy brittish guy in the band I realized what an idiot I had been.

So fellow GG-ites: learn from this very sad story. I certainly know I won't do the same mistake again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie’s Other Zones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: