Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Your First Experience of Guthrie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your First Experience of Guthrie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdrianO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to go to the ACM in Guildford, and be taught by Guthrie for a year...

The ACM has a Fender-sponsored room, and Guthrie loved to bring his Tokai str*t in and play it among the Fender-logo'd chairs. As an old Tokai t*le user myself, I appreciated this no end.

Guthrie is one of life's gentlemen, a nicer bloke it would be hard to imagine.
Robroy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1rst experience of Guthrie was the TM video clips. I then proceded to get the TM DVD and have been blown away ever since. I watch this DVD at least 5 to 7 times a week. I am waiting to receive the Fellowship CD. I hope Guthrie releases his solo album soon. Many thanks to Ed Yoon for letting the guitar world know about this monster player!!!

Peace,
Robroy
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first experience is through those Guitar Technique mags, then those Cornford sound clips, then the final nail in the coffin was the TM DVD.

It's all love from there Smile
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for the double-post

Last edited by Carlo on Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On more from me then :

Do you wish we'd stop asking questions. Wink

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.
Fink Floyd

Location: A small town in North Wales you've probably never heard of

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many have said before, I first heard his stuff on GT CDs and through his Creative Guitar books, then I got the EP he did with Jamie Humphries. Sick, sick stuff - I love it! Very Happy
clovis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most discovered him through the GT Cds. One day I was digging in my old magazine pile and found an issue with a lesson by Guthrie on Chromatic soloing....This lesson changed my life!! I memorized his solo note for note...took me forever it seemed, but when I got it down and started learning FROM his lines, my playing changed forever. He had a really kick ass Greg Howe/Brett Garsed kind of feel on it and his lines with all the passing tones were SICK. He's definately been a huge inspiration on my playing lately......

John R.
Rob_Grimwoodtvu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Fellowship @ The Bassment Reply with quote

My first encounter of his holiness was after finishing my 'A' Levels my friends and i decided to go to this little club we'd been told had some great funk on Thursday night. Whilst there i was introduced to a way of guitar playing that i've never experienced before, and never seen anybody else capable of.

After hearing greats such as "The Chicken" and "Spain" i knew this evening was going to be a regular occurence. We've now been going pretty much every week for 2 and a half years to watch some great musicians; Guthrie obviously, Seth (his brother), Pete Riley and Zack Barrett (i hope i've spelt names right). All these guys are legends and i hope i've added a little something now that the band know me and vice versa.

For any of the "Bassment massive" who are wondering who i am, i usually wear a silly t-shirt and shout out "Go on Seth!" and "Slap it!" whenever a bass solo is played. Remember me now? LOL
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GO ON, SETH", "'IT IT", "HAVE IT" and "C'MON SETH" .. I often wondered where that voice comes from Very Happy .. Seth's solos are great, I like the way they get everyone craning forward as it slowly appears out of the mists and then sits there sparkling for a while, they never end on a "da-nah!!" either.

I'm the guy who's wife wears the elaborate black skirts, dresses and corsetts, I occasionally leave my rolly tobacco by the drum kit, as I only smoke in pubs now, and my 5 year old son would only find it and ask awkward questions.. That's about all my idiosyncracies, that I'm aware of. We usually get there at 8:30 and take the seat next to Zak's dad, if we're taking someone else along.

I have the power!
Rob_Grimwoodtvu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who is more often than not holding a camcorder or digital camera? Ah, my partner in the cause of essex jazz- it's not for chavs!

I'm usually sitting with a very small guy and a VERY large guy with blonde hair. We usually chat to Zak before they start playing and i usually try to talk to Guthrie about his pedals and things.

I realised that someone else on this site knows me as they were asking why at Christmas Andy Frost went "I'm getting one for Christmas". It was me! I am Andy's partner in crime as i used to work with him and have once heard him make ALL of the noises from "Thriller" by Michael Jackson on the walk back to the car-park.

CRAZY NIGHTS!
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah not the camcorder, not me Wink

But I know you.. that explains so many of Andy's comments.. I think most people laff at the irreverance and the timing.. or maybe it's just me

"What did he say, dear?"
"I think he said blessed are the cheesemakers"

Tell you what, I'll make a prat of meself and introduce myself next week Very Happy

I have the power!
Rob_Grimwoodtvu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite true but i think it's because they don't quite understand what i'm saying to him. "909" doesn't really make any sense to people except for drummers and techies, but the timing is indeed what makes ALL of us laugh, just when you think it's impossible as he's drumming in 16ths you hear "Good luck at University". Such a nice guy, which is why i still chat to him every available opportunity.

You should look at the question i have posed to Guthrie, i think it may be to your humour. Indeed come and introduce yourself next Thursday, it'll be my last week before i go back to University to study for my BA in Music Technology- i'll even buy you a drink.

The Judean Peoples' Front? We're the People's Front of Judea, we spit on the Judean Peoples' Front!
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top question.. if I were of an impertinent nature I'd offer to shout "gurn guthrie.. gurn some more!" or "mind your head on the ceiling" to Zak, I do worry about him and the sharp corner above his head.. as he chucks his head back.

A BA in music Confused I'd love to do that at University.. it'd beat the hell out of half a degree in Computer Science .. I might start with a GCSE always meant to pass one of them.

I have the power!
Rob_Grimwoodtvu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: I got a mellowship, i got a fellowship Reply with quote

Maybe shouting "Wake it!" to Jon Dutton, he does seem like he'd be enjoying himself more if he were at home wrapped up in his favourite blanket- then again he does also look like Stone Cold Steve Austin so i'm not going to mess.

Have you ever realised how Sam (2nd keyboard player) actually slaps his keys while he plays? It's really quite entertaining.

I think with reference to Zak's head that actually he's not bald, it's a padded helmet hat he wears to guarantee that no harm will come from his persistent head-cracking against the ceiling. Serves people right for being taller than me!

Or maybe even shouting "Shout it" to the other guy who foolishly keeps using my quotes in that club. One day i shall look through the smoke and find who it is and on that day he may find himself being Billy'd by a 16 stone man-machine, oh the day will come!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(Cough, splutter)
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Guitar on the edge Reply with quote

My first experience of Govan was when i heard his 2 tracks on the Guitar on the Edge compilation. Just plain awesome tunes. One was a great song called Waves. the other was a country type tune called Rhode Island Shred. What was even more amazing was learning he was 17 years old or so at the time, wow what a freak! I then knew that if he was that good at that age and that was over 10 years ago, how great was he now...little did I know. I then picked up the alchemists cd and heard his song Fives on it...I had heard the next level of guitar. This led me to being directed to the tone merchants site some time later and watching those clips...Just mind boggling stuff that was leagues beyond anything i've ever heard come out of satch or malmsteen or any other well known instrumentalist. Now I have the DVD and am a life long guthrie devotee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: